Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2020, 10:42 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Nice! Our pop up was next to the guy who did the Flying Pyramid of Death that crashed nearby, and we were with Neil and Barb and their big SWAT. We did not get that you have to drink ice water there to survive. I Flew a 7motor cluster in a Loc Magnum (my avatar picture) that I had racked with electronics burning and they made me take it down for the Brusier Drag race. After I got it back on the rack it took off on Blue Thunder, two I357s, two H238s and Two G110s, and at a second and a half lit a K550 with a timer. It was up for ages and deployed the main right behind the pad it left. I think it got 7500 on that flight. We really enjoyed it, including the real fireworks in the host hotel parking lot on July 4th. We had to leave early because a guy I was with had a commitment. I had to pull over at 4am and sleep at a rest stop on the way back to PA or I wouldn’t have made it. Those were the days.

I have Earl’s Video, I loved them, remember the anticipation waiting until they arrived? I think it might have been the first East Coast LDRS, so everyone and anyone had to be there.

IIRC, the FPOD guys were from Florida. Seemed like nice guys. IIRC, they said that it (or a smaller scale one) had flown successfully before they brought it to LDRS. I was doing range duty at the time of their flight, but I wasn't the LCO so don't blame it on me! I also remember a pretty big V-2 with a scale ballistic flight path that ended across the road with an approximately 200 mph to zero deceleration in about 0.003 seconds.

I only made one commercial flight on a hybrid motor for certification purposes, so I spent a lot of time helping my friends (and a few strangers) with their big projects along with range duty.

The rest of my flights were on EX day. I really only remember flying my 4" Cherokee upscale on a red propellant J-300 motor and my 1/2 scale (about 12.5 ft tall) Aerobee Hi (single stage) on an L-1000 sparky motor that echoed off the tree lines. These were not motors from the motor making class. IIRC, Jim had them make a fairly low smoke orange flamed propellant he called Diamondback and they were either two grain H or three grain I motors. I borrowed chutes from everybody I knew cause I didn't have any big ones. Each half of the Aerobee came down with dual deployment, a single "drogue" and then two more at the second deployment. Six successful chutes!
BTW, I am not Jim Mitchell if you watch Earl's video again. I had to fly under his EX paperwork so my rockets were announced as his. That's ok cause I used his 76mm case (long before it became a commercial product) and I made the propellant at his shop a few weeks before LDRS.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:04 PM
Craftsman

Exclamation I was there too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
IIRC, the FPOD guys were from Florida. Seemed like nice guys. IIRC, they said that it (or a smaller scale one) had flown successfully before they brought it to LDRS

Yes, we were indeed.

The FPOD guy actually had to travel with me himself while the FPOD parts went in another vehicle. Taking him along cost me valuable HPR glider room

It was the half scale version that flew well, twice in fact, on J275s. Of course, this used a full 6" rod while the FPOD was like 4' tall using a rod its own height..... Id suggested using like a 8' rail as a *launch rod* going through a square 'lug system' inside the core of the thing but was branded a heretic

I do recall having my first glider flight recorded by Point 39 as well. This was the classic Astron SST on an I154. Boosted and glided very well and is on the video. Nice capture, Earl!

Yes, it is hard to believe things were THAT long ago.....everything and everyone's changed much except myself!
Old 06-25-2020, 01:13 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstronMike
Yes, we were indeed.

The FPOD guy actually had to travel with me himself while the FPOD parts went in another vehicle. Taking him along cost me valuable HPR glider room

It was the half scale version that flew well, twice in fact, on J275s. Of course, this used a full 6" rod while the FPOD was like 4' tall using a rod its own height..... Id suggested using like a 8' rail as a *launch rod* going through a square 'lug system' inside the core of the thing but was branded a heretic

I do recall having my first glider flight recorded by Point 39 as well. This was the classic Astron SST on an I154. Boosted and glided very well and is on the video. Nice capture, Earl!

Yes, it is hard to believe things were THAT long ago.....everything and everyone's changed much except myself!

I remember your SST glider flight well! I was out there for the FPOD post-mortem recovery since I was on range duty. I may have talked to you and not realized it.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:13 PM
Sometimes collector

Yes the FPOD guys were nice. I personally had so much prepping to do I probably wasn’t social. In addition to the 7 motor airstartd cluster, I prepped a two stager as well, but ran out of time. It was fun watching FPOD being put together with what seemed like many, many screws if I recall.

That’s cool you flew your own propellant there. Since I wasn’t with a group making propellant yet, for fun on EX day I put a G64 and F40 in a fiberglass case made from a used Vulcan motor, worked great.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:25 PM
Where'd it go?

Default I'll play.

Here are some goodies from years ago.

Some old Estes engines; 1/2 A6-4, B14-0, A5-2, 1/2A6-0, A8-0, and a Centuri Mini-Max F10-4

The 2nd. pic shows the two tubes that were signed by Vern at NARAM 32.

Next are some old MPC kits that were on clearance back in the mid '80s or so for IIRC between
$3-5 each. I can't remember who sold them but they apparently acquired the last of the kits.
Anyone recall who sold them?

Built the Nike Patriot a couple of years ago; only painted the tubes - nice old kit!

The Flat Cat was built back in ~ '94. The 100 lb per cu. ft. balsa was replaced with b/c grain med light instead for the wing and stab.

I bet the Microsonde 3 boosters won't survive one landing! Lookee at them fins!

Bob
p.s. great thread!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0851.JPG
Views: 27
Size:  629.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0858.JPG
Views: 25
Size:  663.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0862.JPG
Views: 24
Size:  648.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0864.JPG
Views: 20
Size:  657.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0868.JPG
Views: 24
Size:  745.6 KB  

NAR# 54643 L-1

SAM #043

AMA# 157091

Last edited by Blushingmule : 06-26-2020 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:47 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The rest of my flights were on EX day. I really only remember flying my 4" Cherokee upscale on a red propellant J-300 motor and my 1/2 scale (about 12.5 ft tall) Aerobee Hi (single stage) on an L-1000 sparky motor that echoed off the tree lines. These were not motors from the motor making class. IIRC, Jim had them make a fairly low smoke orange flamed propellant he called Diamondback and they were either two grain H or three grain I motors. I borrowed chutes from everybody I knew cause I didn't have any big ones. Each half of the Aerobee came down with dual deployment, a single "drogue" and then two more at the second deployment. Six successful chutes!
BTW, I am not Jim Mitchell if you watch Earl's video again. I had to fly under his EX paperwork so my rockets were announced as his. That's ok cause I used his 76mm case (long before it became a commercial product) and I made the propellant at his shop a few weeks before LDRS.
Sounds interesting. Sorry to say we drove back to Louisiana on EX day so I missed your flights. I never flew EX myself but I have a buddy in our prefect here in Louisiana that rolls his own ... I can appreciate the guys do EX and the attention to detail to be successful.
I need to see if I can transfer some of these VHS tapes to view them on my laptop. I guess I need to find a cheap VCR and get a dongle or look for a hardware device to do that [one day].

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Yes the FPOD guys were nice. I personally had so much prepping to do I probably wasn’t social. In addition to the 7 motor airstartd cluster, I prepped a two stager as well, but ran out of time. It was fun watching FPOD being put together with what seemed like many, many screws if I recall.

That’s cool you flew your own propellant there. Since I wasn’t with a group making propellant yet, for fun on EX day I put a G64 and F40 in a fiberglass case made from a used Vulcan motor, worked great.
I think everyone that was there the day the FPOD flew was really excited to see that one launch. Didn't know the guys personally and was probably busy prepping myself.

If you can find and post that picture of your LOC Magnum I'd love to see it. Looks like a great lift off shot. That was the old school standard HPR confirmation [er, certification] rocket.

You and my buddy Ronnie must think alike. He also converted his Magnum to a seven motor cluster. These pictures were taken at Southern Thunder in Manchester, TN 2005. Ronnie flew his Magnum and I flew a Big Nuke 3E that's about the same size as the LOC Magnum. That's me with Ken Herrick from Al's Hobby Shop. Ken flew a lot of EX stuff in his Big Nuke 3E. It's a shame but I'm pretty sure BATFE regulation is what killed Al's Hobby Shop and a lot of others HPR rocketry business. I bought a lot of stuff from Ken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  000.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  645.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  446.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  394.1 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: MINI KATANA & Reduced Size MINI KATANA 418
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: InFlight A-20 Demon, SSRS/Crown Upscale Lasor “163”
🚀 In Repair: Semroc SLS Lil’ Hustler, Semroc SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Launch Countdown: Coming Soon
🚀 Upcoming Launch: “High Cotton” September 2020 Winnsboro, LA
Old 06-27-2020, 09:50 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushingmule
Here are some goodies from years ago.

Some old Estes engines; 1/2 A6-4, B14-0, A5-2, 1/2A6-0, A8-0, and a Centuri Mini-Max F10-4

The 2nd. pic shows the two tubes that were signed by Vern at NARAM 32.

Next are some old MPC kits that were on clearance back in the mid '80s or so for IIRC between
$3-5 each. I can't remember who sold them but they apparently acquired the last of the kits.
Anyone recall who sold them?

Built the Nike Patriot a couple of years ago; only painted the tubes - nice old kit!

The Flat Cat was built back in ~ '94. The 100 lb per cu. ft. balsa was replaced with b/c grain med light instead for the wing and stab.

I bet the Microsonde 3 boosters won't survive one landing! Lookee at them fins!

Bob
p.s. great thread!
That's a great collection. Especially the two tubes that were signed by Vern at NARAM 32 and the Centuri Mini-Max F10
I vaguely remember a site or individual selling a lot of the old MPC kits but sorry I don't remember who sold them.
SAM# 0052

Old 06-27-2020, 09:56 AM
Sometimes collector

The Magnum pic in my Avatar is from around 2006 at MDRA, an EX flight. I do have a liftoff flight from Orangeburg, I’ll try to post it but it’s from pretty far off.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:21 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Great graphics on those!
Thanks for the compliment on my rocket fleet picture in post #69 that picture was taken in June 2000. Sorry it's been a couple of days since I last checked in. Had a third of six outpatient procedures yesterday at the pain hospital ... nothing serious. You see I painted all of my fleet in either satin black or gloss black and then all the colors including the payload section on the Lil' Nuke are self-adhesive monokote. My lazy mans finish to the entire fleet ....
The 2" diameter downscale of the LOC Ultimate [Called MINI-MATE] was actually a copy of a rocket design that my buddy Scot built and flew when I went to my first LDRS in 1988. More of a sport-scale than true downscale but I always liked the way it looked
SAM# 0052

Old 06-27-2020, 11:28 AM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Thanks for the compliment on my rocket fleet picture in post #69 that picture was taken in June 2000. Sorry it's been a couple of days since I last checked in. Had a third of six outpatient procedures yesterday at the pain hospital ... nothing serious. You see I painted all of my fleet in either satin black or gloss black and then all the colors including the payload section on the Lil' Nuke are self-adhesive monokote. My lazy mans finish to the entire fleet ....
The 2" diameter downscale of the LOC Ultimate [Called MINI-MATE] was actually a copy of a rocket design that my buddy Scot built and flew when I went to my first LDRS in 1988. More of a sport-scale than true downscale but I always liked the way it looked

I like the way they all share a theme! Simple is often best. I fly with a guy who does a large bold roll pattern on everything and his rockets are easy to pick ou at a launch.
Good luck with the procedures, glad it’s not serious.