Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > For Sale
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Smile Selling my collection ?

I am brand new to the forum. For a couple of years now I have been considering selling my collection of model rockets. I haven't even looked at them in years. I think I have more that 100 unbuilt kits. I thought that was a lot. I found out today that one guy here has more than 900, Wow ! My oldest is an Astron Spaceman. Pretty sure I opened that one. Probably the oddest is an Estes rocket powered drag car, not the tuner one, mine looks like a dragster.

I may have opened a few of them just to look at them, don't remember for sure. Most are new in original packaging.

I also have more than 50 pounds of literature, some of it came directly from Estes.

I really don't want to do that E-Bay thing. The whole process is just to painful. Taking pictures, posting the listing, packaging and pricing for shipment. What I would like most is to sell the whole kit and kaboodle to one buyer. So I guess my question here is if such a thing is possible.

Any advice you would care to offer is most appreciated, thanks in advance, Les
Old 10-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Master Modeler

It is a tricky problem.

The more work you put into auctions, the more you will get.

You could sell to a single buyer, or have an experienced collector sell it for you and get a chunk of the income.

I'll also throw this out there:

The NAR has a benefit auction each year. I don't for certain, but it is possible donations could be tax deductible. Just a thought.

I'm not a collector, but am I interested in history. I thus will make a standard plea:

If you have the time, scan in as much of the literature, open kit instructions, etc. as you can. Newsletters, instruction sheets, order forms . . . all these things are of interest.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 10-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrandler
I am brand new to the forum. For a couple of years now I have been considering selling my collection of model rockets. I haven't even looked at them in years. I think I have more that 100 unbuilt kits. I thought that was a lot. I found out today that one guy here has more than 900, Wow ! My oldest is an Astron Spaceman. Pretty sure I opened that one. Probably the oddest is an Estes rocket powered drag car, not the tuner one, mine looks like a dragster.

I may have opened a few of them just to look at them, don't remember for sure. Most are new in original packaging.

I also have more than 50 pounds of literature, some of it came directly from Estes.

I really don't want to do that E-Bay thing. The whole process is just to painful. Taking pictures, posting the listing, packaging and pricing for shipment. What I would like most is to sell the whole kit and kaboodle to one buyer. So I guess my question here is if such a thing is possible.

Any advice you would care to offer is most appreciated, thanks in advance, Les

Is your collection entirely Estes? If you have any Centuri items, I'd be happy to hear more.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 10-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Master Modeler

Well, the least you have to do is post an itemized list of what you have, if they are opened, or not, built or not. It will help if you can at least post a couple of photos even if they are in groups.

Personally, I believe you will get more $$$ and sell faster if you sell them a few at a time.

Looking forward to seeing your list.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com
Old 10-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Smile Thanks for the input

To Stefanj - Scanning all the paperwook would take weeks. I have multiple issues of Model Rocket News, Volumes 1 & 2 of the Estes Model Rockety Library Collection ( both over an inch thick) and a three ring binder full of old plans (about an inch thick) . Probably some of the old catalogs, too, but would have to dig all that stuff out to make sure and inventory it. And that project alone would take the better part of a day.

To Earl - There are a couple of Centari kits down there some where.

To Randy - Yes, you are right. No matter what I am going to have to take the time to get a list of all the kits and at least some group photos. If I do end up auctioning them off, it will be in this forum rather than E-Bay. Like I said, that is way too much work.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Vintage Estes Rockets

I would be interested in buying all the estes stuff. Hit me up with a private message and Ill give you my phone number. Im in PA too, and I could drive to you if what you have is of interest.

Eric

PS: My website in the link below is not up yet. It will be by the end of the month.

=======================================

Old 10-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Smile Still digging thru it all

Gentlemen,

Took a couple of minutes and dug around in my collection. Found a Star Wars X-Wing, R2-D2 and a couple of MPC rockets kits. I really am going to have to take the time and get a list of all the kits. I will try to get it posted here within the next three of four days.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Smile Update

Gentlemen, One of the members has been helping with this process. Apparently, I have some desirable kits. However, selling them individually or in small groups is not an option for me. The packaging and determining of shipping fees is far too painful. I did try the auction site here on the forum. It would not let me upload my photos because they were too large and I am not enough of a teckie to know how to shrink them. E-Bay would present the same problems with pack / ship fees. With that in mind, I have sent an inventory of all my Estes kits to another member. Hopefully, it is his intent to buy all or most of them. Should that not materalize, I will post the list on this forum in the hope that another buyer may come along.

Les
Old 10-08-2012, 09:52 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Default kits

As a lifelong collector, i can say-just dont be in a hurry. Research them, trust your instincts and yourself. They'll sell themselves! dan.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Smile

Gentlemen,

Oh, well, I had to try. Guess I really should have known better. It has become very apparent that selling my model rocket collection, complete, or even broken down into Estes and Centuri groupings, is not going to work. So I am going to have to do that E-bay thing, much as I hate it.

This project will probably take a very long time. I am still working, so I will have to make the listings and deal with, what I consider the arduous task of packing and shipping, as my time permits. My E-bay handle is “dacoupe99”, if any of you are interested in what I have to offer. All listings will be short term (5 days) listings. The items will not be offered for sale a second time. I am going to list the Estes and Centuri kits that I have in two separate posts following this one, in case you would be interest in watching for them.

As a final note, I have a large box of already built model rockets that have become damaged because of the way they were packed and thru the course of time, moved around. If you live near me and would be willing to come and get them; you can have them for free ! Please contact me in advance, by E-mail Please ! so we can pinpoint the day and time of your arrival.

Thanks to all the members who offered me advice and guidance both thru this board and by PM. It was truly appreciated !

Les