Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 10:47 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass Rocket
Here is the thread on my Upscale Mark II. I'll try and get a new photo soon.

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showt...99&page=1&pp=10

And flight pics? There are flight pics, aren't there?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 12-06-2012, 11:08 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangertech1
My good old Aero-Dart. First flight it got hung up in the only tree for a 1000 yards. I had to laugh...ran home and got my ladder and 61 flights and 2 replacement fins later still going strong. -G76 no problem 10 flights. Cameras, screamers. That baby does it all.

I just built a Starlight, that is pure elagance.

Welcome your going to like it here .

Question Did you launch the Aero-Dart at Pasture Blaster this year?

NAR #91135 L1
SAM #0037
Old 12-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Pickin' and launching.

I wish there were flight pictures but, it has flown once. Here are photos of me getting ready to go launch it and a mis-timed launch photo. The launch went off and it drifted away. We searched for a couple of hours and never saw it. I went back to our canopy, and we had set there for a while, and kid ran up with the large Mark II. He and his Dad had been looking for one of their rockets and stumbled upon the Mark II. They were way far away when they found it. I was thrilled to get it back unharmed. I gave the kid some square rocket kits for his effort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  NSL 017.JPG
Views: 44
Size:  425.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  NSL 018.JPG
Views: 28
Size:  222.4 KB  
NAR #28062, ROCI Section #625
http://www.newwayspacemodels.com
http://www.indyrockets.org
NewWay Space Models-We Cornered Model Rocketry
Old 12-24-2012, 07:27 AM
Forest Sprite

This thread can keep going on indefinitely because as Semroc keeps releasing new kits, we (or at least I) keep having to revise my answer to the question. Or, to be more accurate, adding to my answer. My latest update: even though I don't have any of them yet, I just adore the fact that Semroc now has the Trident, the Starship Vega, and someone please tell me this isn't a dream, the USS America! And of course, the Mars Lander. Up until now I haven't had as much interest in futuristic kits as I have had with, for instance, scale, but...wow. I mean, WOW!!!

Now I'm going to have to build a new shelf for the gallery. Darn the luck.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 12-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
This thread can keep going on indefinitely because as Semroc keeps releasing new kits, we (or at least I) keep having to revise my answer to the question. Or, to be more accurate, adding to my answer. My latest update: even though I don't have any of them yet, I just adore the fact that Semroc now has the Trident, the Starship Vega, and someone please tell me this isn't a dream, the USS America! And of course, the Mars Lander. Up until now I haven't had as much interest in futuristic kits as I have had with, for instance, scale, but...wow. I mean, WOW!!!

Now I'm going to have to build a new shelf for the gallery. Darn the luck.

I can't see my top kits changing unless they go out of production. Saturn 1B and Mars Lander. I had them tied when I last posted, but the more I look at the Saturn, the more I'm reaffermed that it has to be #1. I like 'em all, but the Saturn 1B is in a class by itself.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Master Modeler

That 1B is on my acquire list. It's the most interesting and best looking of the Saturns.

There isn't a model that Semroc makes that doesn't pique my interest in some way. The ones I admire most, I've purchased. They're all not built yet, but I'm slowly working on getting them together. The SLS Hustler and Starlight are on the list as well. Just gotta get final paint on the Aero-Dart, ThunderStrike and Texas FireFly, yet. They've languished over the Summer.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:45 PM
BAR

My favorite kit is the one I'm building now.

NAR #91135 L1
SAM #0037
Old 12-25-2012, 03:56 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I can't see my top kits changing unless they go out of production.
...Unless, maybe, Semroc produced kits of some of the various Nova launch vehicle designs? :-) And:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Saturn 1B and Mars Lander. I had them tied when I last posted, but the more I look at the Saturn, the more I'm reaffermed that it has to be #1. I like 'em all, but the Saturn 1B is in a class by itself.
Yes, there's something about those eight small, swept fins--which are reminiscent of Estes Alpha fins--that is aesthetically very pleasing. It's even possible that that fin planform *was* chosen because, along with meeting the Saturn IB's aerodynamic stability and structural requirements, they just plain looked good. (The attractive and distinctive "stinger tail" that is a hallmark of the Horten Brothers' flying wing aircraft was added to their later sailplane, prop- and jet-powered flying wings both because it looked good and was aerodynamically advantageous.)
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 12-25-2012 at 03:58 AM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:37 PM
NAR #93916 SAM #454

Sent it up twice once on an E-14 and then on a single use F-24 I think at PB. Broke a fin tip that last one. After getting home I removed all the fins and fiberglassed the lot of them. Fragile tips on those buggers. Since then, it even landed fins down on pavement with a thunk, with only a little ding in one of the fin tips. I have really come to like 1/4 oz fiberglass fabric. I've gotten pretty fast at glassing these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnwwa
Welcome your going to like it here .

Question Did you launch the Aero-Dart at Pasture Blaster this year?
Old 12-09-2013, 08:30 AM
Advanced Rocketeer SAM# 0455

Smile Favorite SEMROC Models.

Since finding the SEMROC website in November of last year , I have purchased and built the:

Repro Reproduction of the Boost Glider Space Plane Kit KV-3 - 6 flights
Repro Reproduction of the Starlight Kit KV-21 - first flight w/Estes A8-3, Second with Estes B6-4.
Repro Reproduction of the Sam-3 Kit KV-79 (SAM kit) One of two current projects, ready for sanding sealer.

Purchased all the components for several other scratch rocket kits.

Will be purchasing the Hydra VII kit as a Christmas Present to myself to build and fly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  1182013 031.JPG
Views: 15
Size:  817.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Reproduction of 1962 Kit of Estes first rocket glider.JPG
Views: 17
Size:  436.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  1182013 013.JPG
Views: 19
Size:  65.0 KB  

Last edited by dvmanning : 12-09-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Adding image