Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2014, 05:49 AM
Paper Rocketeer

Default 3D design software

Well, I just got my new 3D printer (Deezmaker Bukito) and finished putting it together. Next I have to power it up and run it throught its paces and calibrate it, then I can start printing with it! I know I can download project files from Thingiverse (Doug Holverson posted a BT-50 version of the Stine/Carlile Mark nose cone - might be my first real print), but I ultimately want to design my own parts. Anyone here have experience with 3D CAD programs for designing pieces and have any recommendations. So far, the best I have found is AutoDesk's 123D Design, but is this the best for doing precision design work? (These have to be precise enough to fit body tubes and other parts.)

Recommendations, please?

Member of Launch Crue - http://launchcrue.org/

Hint #1: Do not use magician's flash paper for recovery wadding!

Hint #2: Clean your shoes after flyin' in that cow pasture - that ain't no dirt clod on the sole!
Old 09-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Master Modeler

I use Auto Cad at Estes for all my rocket 3D stuff. I rapid prototype everything before it is sent off for tooling. Other really good software is ProE or Solid Works which I also use. These three packages are high end in price. Unless you need to do easily transition from say a square cross section to a round cross section any of the less expensive cad software packages out there that lets you create a solid model will work for you. Most Rapid prototype and CNC router machines use STL files to make the parts from so as long as your software can export STL files you should be ok.

John Boren
Old 09-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Master: Dark Art of Model Rocketry

I use Lightwave 3D.

Master of the Dark Art of Model Rocketry

www.shrox.com
Old 01-10-2015, 10:46 PM
Craftsman

Blender can export to an stl file and best of all, it's free. Would be worth a shot.

www.blender.org
Old 01-10-2015, 11:05 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Cool

BOOTLEGS are 'highly illegal'

I HONESTLY don't think I have ever seen a legally purchased copy of AutoCad or PhotoShop for that matter on anyone's personal (non business) home computer, but they must be out there.

I think it would behoove the major design software companies to offer a 'lite' version with say 75% functional equivalency of their programs for home/hobbyist (non commercial) use only for say 5 to 10 cents on the dollar compared to the full 'commercial/business' versions.

It would be beneficial two-fold:
1) It would cut way down on software piracy 'Bootlegs'
2) It would generate positive revenue for the companies as a whole

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-11-2015, 05:48 AM
Paper Rocketeer

For what it is worth, I've settled on OpenSCAD - there is a bit of a learning curve since it is more of a programming language rather than a CAD or draw style program, but is pretty powerful once you get the hang of it. I've designed a couple nose cones, the reducer for the Black Brant II, and just finished a wing dihedral cutting jig that looks promising. If an object can be described as a series of cylinders, spheres and cubes (and stretched, rotated, and even distorted) built upon and subtracted from each other, you can make the shape in OpenSCAD. And the program is totally free and open source.

Member of Launch Crue - http://launchcrue.org/

Hint #1: Do not use magician's flash paper for recovery wadding!

Hint #2: Clean your shoes after flyin' in that cow pasture - that ain't no dirt clod on the sole!
Old 02-11-2015, 09:26 PM
frustrated aero

Another freebie, called FreeCAD will allow drawing arcs, circles, lines, etc. You can extrude and revolve the shapes and export STL files. I just played with drawing a cone, exported to STL, and then opened it up with SolidWorks. Not sure if you can adjust the mesh setting, as I have not played with it beyond the 5min to create this part, but it looks promising. Available here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  FreeCadNose.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  129.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  FreeCadNoseSTL_Export2SolidWorks.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  40.1 KB  
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 02-11-2015, 11:33 PM
Craftsman

I use FreeCAD to design my parts for the 3D printer. It's pretty cool that you don't need to make the nose cones hollow. All you need to do is design a solid model, and then use the slicing software (which likely came with your 3D printer) to adjust the wall thickness. As rocketguy101 mentions, that makes it pretty easy to make cones with simple drawing operations.