Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Master Modeler

The K-1 Scout would have been a great bringback, it was the first Estes rocket and was a classic.

Over the years Estes produced three different versions of iy, even a mini. The two newer versions had the newer engine hook, the original was a round formed wire.

This kit was tumble recovery and it also used a BT-30 body tube that is slightly larger in diameter than the BT-20.

You can find instructions online.

Remember NARAM 50 in Virginia next summer, this should be a great gathering of felloe rocketeers.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:05 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Even though the K-1 Scout would be the logical choice for a "re-issue" on the 50th anniversary of Estes, I hope it is just about anything else from the "Astron" era.
Even though it was first, I always found the Astron Scout to be HIDEOUSLY UGLY with fins that are WAYYYYYYY too thick for the size of the rocket.
They need to bring something DECENT back like the K41 NO-PLASTIC (like that will happen from somebody doing nothing but importation of cheap plastic parts) Redstone, Astron Ranger (which came out WAY before the Big Bertha), Astron Sky Dart (why did they bring back the worse-flying Scissor Wing Transport instead of the SkyDart ??), or Astron Cobra.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-27-2007, 03:19 PM
Master Modeler

The K-1 Scout was from the infancy of the hobby.
The reason why the fins were so thick was to prevent damage to the fins.

You have to remember, this is a tumble recovery rocket, the specual engine hook kept the engine with the rocket.

The motor would shift causing it to tumble, therefore "tumble recovery".

I can't go into details right now, but, something sprcial was planned for Estes 50th, you fill in the blanks.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Master Modeler

The Scout would be the logical choice.

Another neat idea would be a "Early Days" collection: Scout, Mark, Ranger, Space Plane.

I doubt it would happen, though. Ranger is a cluster; Space Plane is too complex.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:17 PM
Master Modeler

I have the old Scout, it comes with guaze to use as fillets. I would think this would make the rocket look ugly. Any ideas?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Master Modeler

RD, do you still think Estes will do something special for their 50th? If they did do the Scout, they would have to bring back Bt-30 and the wood nose cone. Or they would have to make a plastic PNC-30 type nose.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Master Modeler

I really don't know what Estes might or might not do for their 50th.

I know what WAS planned, but, yhat has since changed.

The BT-30 body tube was not spiral, but, convolute. The nose cones could be made, BMS and Semroc have them.

As far as the gauze reinforcement goes, you can get it to look good, I have used thin layers of carpenters glue and sanded it.

I'm sure there are other methods out there for making the gauze look good, all part of history.

I have cloned seven Scouts, I also had to make a jig to bend the round wire for the engine hook, it's certainly not flat as it is today.

My clones were all painted gold for the 50th, they really look great like a trophy.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Master Modeler

When is Estes 50th? I will build my orig. Scout then also...
Old 08-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Master Modeler

June 12,2008 Estes 50yh anniversary

Get building your Scouts, and paint one gold.....
Old 08-28-2007, 08:36 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
I have the old Scout, it comes with guaze to use as fillets. I would think this would make the rocket look ugly. Any ideas?
What the Doc said, just fill the gauze with glue & sand. I built mine this way 30 years ago. The fins need reinforcement, due to the small root edge. The hook needs reinforcement too. Make sure you have two vent holes, mine has only one - last time I launched it, the 1/2A6-2 ejection charge caused the engine retainer to rip the gauze right down the middle. Could be that the ejection charges are stronger now than back then.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org