Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2005, 10:52 AM
Craftsman

Default Probably a dumb question, but.....

...what do you guys use as a "cutting board" for cutting your fins and such? A cutting board? Metal sheet? I hate to admit what I have been using, the back of a clipboard. I had two in my room, so that was what I used so I wouldn't ruin my work surface. Thing with the clipboard is that each cut leaves a raised scar so you can't lay new balsa on it without messing it up. I am out of useable space on the clipboards, so I now need to actually find something intelligent to use. Lay it on me, and please, be kind.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:21 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by six-o-one
...what do you guys use as a "cutting board" for cutting your fins and such? A cutting board? Metal sheet? I hate to admit what I have been using, the back of a clipboard. I had two in my room, so that was what I used so I wouldn't ruin my work surface. Thing with the clipboard is that each cut leaves a raised scar so you can't lay new balsa on it without messing it up. I am out of useable space on the clipboards, so I now need to actually find something intelligent to use. Lay it on me, and please, be kind.

I use food preparation cutting sheets, the clear plastic kind you can pick up at Wally World about 3 for $5, or thereabouts...

They're disposable and cheap, last for a long time, and you can flip 'em over if one side gets too chopped up and grungy. When they're 'pristine', with no gouges, even CA glue won't stick that good. I keep one or two at my workbench and one at my computer desk, for when I just gotta "work" while I'm "working"...

As for the scratches and dings you get from the board into the balsa surface, the first good coat of FNF usually takes care of filling the voids. You could probably use a piece of 220-grit paper to knock down the raised edges and some 400-grit to polish the surface back down. I've never seen gouges that severe, though. And if I did, that would be time to go get a new pack of sheets...

Craig McGraw
Old 06-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Administrator

I've used a ton of stuff to cut on including my leg (by accident). I have a small self-healing cutting pad I use most of the time now. I also use a blue form board a lot. Tip for people going to conventions, NARAM, or any other rocket event where you might find your self building something in a hotel room. The bottom of the dresser drawers make great building surfaces.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:35 PM
ReBAR Rocketeer

If you don't mind spending a few dollars, go to the quilting section of your nearest fabric/crafts store and buy one of the mats designed for use with rotary cutters. Olfa is one brand, but there are a couple of cheaper brands floating around. These are maked with a 1" grid(there is a metric version available also), and several common angles. 30, 45, 60 and 90 degrees on the one I have.

I have the Olfa RM-SG which measures 24" x 18". Pair one of these up with a metal yard stick, and a rotary cutter, and you've got a great cutting system.

Some alternatives are the white plastic cutting boards in the housewares section, rubber gasket material, conveyor belt material and a mud flap for a tractor trailor.

A 2' x 4' section of 3/4" particle board can be purchased in most home improvement stores for just a few dollars, and is good surface to cut on due to the lack of grain. Yes, it will get scratched up, but at least your knife won't try to follow the wood grain, and it's large enough that it ought to last for many, many projects. Especially when you realise that you have two sides to work with.

HTH,
Randal
Old 06-02-2005, 04:29 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
I use food preparation cutting sheets, the clear plastic kind you can pick up at Wally World about 3 for $5, or thereabouts...

They're disposable and cheap, last for a long time, and you can flip 'em over if one side gets too chopped up and grungy. When they're 'pristine', with no gouges, even CA glue won't stick that good. I keep one or two at my workbench and one at my computer desk, for when I just gotta "work" while I'm "working"...

As for the scratches and dings you get from the board into the balsa surface, the first good coat of FNF usually takes care of filling the voids. You could probably use a piece of 220-grit paper to knock down the raised edges and some 400-grit to polish the surface back down. I've never seen gouges that severe, though. And if I did, that would be time to go get a new pack of sheets...

Craig McGraw

Ditto. This was my wifes idea. She didn't care for the gouges I left in our old hand-me-down kitchen table.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:11 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
I've used a ton of stuff to cut on including my leg (by accident). I have a small self-healing cutting pad I use most of the time now. I also use a blue form board a lot.

I'd guess your leg was self-healing as well?
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 06-02-2005, 08:40 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by six-o-one

I like to use 1/8" thick 2' x 2' sheets of Masonite. You can pick them up readily at any Home Depot or Lowe's. They're relatively cheap, and if you get the double sided ones, they last for some time.

It's a little like using your clip board, only bigger!
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 06-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Craftsman

Thanks guys. Picked up a tempered glass cutting board from Wal Mart for $6. Works great. May try some of the other ideas over time, so thanks for the input.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:57 PM
Old School Rocketeer

I just use a standard manila envelope with a few sheets of paper inside. Easily replaceable from the office file cabinet.

Later,
EV