Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > 3D Printing Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2019, 01:26 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketflyer
It may not be in keeping with things from the past, but I think that fin can would be better off with out the open area used a launch lug. It would work for two stagers, but for a single stage, make it smooth all the way around.

I created and posted a version at the same link of the fin can without the launch lug.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:42 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflonrocketry1
Mark,

The area under the launch lug on the fin-can is sealed by the brim that the 3D printer software uses to adhere the part to the printer bed. It is only 0.36mm thick in this case and is easily removed. The color is a red ABS filament made by Vilarox that I have been using for duplicating the Centuri nosecones, it close to the original Centuri red orange color but not quite.

If I ever get a good print of this fin-can I will ask around $15.00 for the printed part (depends on the plastic). I have been asking $8.00 for shipping so the whole set; nosecone, coupler and fin-can will be $29.00 or a total of $37.00 with shipping. I just paid $32.00 for an Estes Eliminator Kit (#1950) that contains the nosecone and fin-can so I am not sure if I want to sell the fin-can for less to compete with that price.

I am currently working on getting a good print with a red PLA filament for the fin can. So far I am having issues switching my printer from ABS plastic back to PLA plastic.

Glad to see someone is able to profit off my hard work! LOL!
Old 05-22-2019, 08:17 PM
Craftsman

The 1320/1340 fin can printed up nicely in with red PLA filament, see picture attached. However this part is not flight worthy as the fins are much too thin and brittle, I doubt they would hold up in a flight or even a landing. I will attempt to rework the 3D file with the software (Blender) that I am learning to use. I plan to put in some reinforcing fillets and make the fins thicker, currently they are 1/16" thick and I think 3/32" thick will be better. The PLA fin can weighs in at 30 grams and the ABS one that has split fins due to warping weighs 31.5 grams.

Was the band on the transition for the 1320 really 0.25" thick? The one at 9:42 in this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7sy_fLYSPg looks like it is much thinner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  1320plastic parts.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  566.2 KB  
Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055
Old 05-23-2019, 07:43 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Was the band on the transition for the 1320 really 0.25" thick? The one at 9:42 in this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7sy_fLYSPg looks like it is much thinner.

In light of that Youtube video I am going to have to concur with you as the rocket is clearly an Enerhet 1340 despite the nose cone not being shown. The molded payload coupler has a very thin ring. My past posts and memory are thus in error. I only saw that video for the first time this month.

Jerry
Old 05-23-2019, 04:52 PM
Craftsman

I found this plan for the 1340 that indicates the band was 0.1" wide on the coupler http://plans.rocketshoppe.com/enerj...340/enj1340.pdf

It would be nice if someone with an original 1340 model would confirm this!
Old 05-23-2019, 05:16 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
I found this plan for the 1340 that indicates the band was 0.1" wide on the coupler http://plans.rocketshoppe.com/enerj...340/enj1340.pdf

It would be nice if someone with an original 1340 model would confirm this!

I do recall that brochure. I do recall my 1340. They did match. That is accurate.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:59 PM
Craftsman

Jerry,

Thanks once again for your expert information! I appreciate having you on this forum to answer questions such as these, as I recognize you were one of the pioneers of high power rocketry.

Jack,

I mean no disrespect for 3D printing and offering the parts you provided the files for on thingiverse. I am not trying to start or run a business, I just want to recover my expenses for the 3D printing of these items. I see this as a way to make these rare parts available to those who have graciously helped me on this forum (like you and Jerry). Please accept my humble apologies if I have offended you.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:00 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Jack,

I mean no disrespect for 3D printing and offering the parts you provided the files for on thingiverse. I am not trying to start or run a business, I just want to recover my expenses for the 3D printing of these items. I see this as a way to make these rare parts available to those who have graciously helped me on this forum (like you and Jerry). Please accept my humble apologies if I have offended you.

I don't mind at all especially considering that Estes has stopped producing and selling the BT-56 tubing and the fin cans. We really needed a 3d model of the fin can to be designed.

The only problem I have with it is that the fin can really needs to be flight tested first just to ensure that it works before you sell them. I have printed one and the fins seem to be as strong or stronger than the mass-produced version, but testing first is the best way to go.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:31 PM
Craftsman

I know from experience with other 3D printed fin-cans that 1/16" thick PLA fins won't hold up very well for flights or landings or even sitting in a hot car. I might try using PETG or a similar polymer as mentioned in https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/sho...416&postcount=6 . I am currently working on building an enclosure for my printers to get better ABS prints that don't split or warp. The 1/16" thick 3D prints of fins I made from ABS are much stronger than the same part made from PLA.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:35 PM
Craftsman

I recently learned about low-warp ABS being for sale on the retail market. I haven't tried it, but if you really want to print with ABS this might be the way to go.

https://www.pushplastic.com/product...rp-abs-filament

https://www.amazon.com/HQA-ABS-LW-3...t/dp/B07BWGMPDL