Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Banned

Earl,

I have told this to both Vern and Lee: Centuri kits, in my best estimates, were better quality kits!

Vern laughed, and Lee smiled. They both in the end sold their businesses for millions!

I didn't want to get Roger's hopes up. Its too bad I can't walk into a bank and say, 'Here is my Centuri Apollo Joe in 1/45 th scale'. Now were are my hundreds of dollars for it!?

LOL, that would be nice eh?

You only get what the market will bare at the time of sale.

A lot of people think these are valuable because they see other people who want them really badly spend large amounts of money for them. I am not going to rehash this stuff again, ad nauseum, but he has some $$$ there. All he has to do is get them listed then get some cash!

Roger, when you do list, post here with the link to the auctions!!! I love watching bidder carnage!

Jonathan
Old 11-24-2012, 03:30 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
I have told this to both Vern and Lee: Centuri kits, in my best estimates, were better quality kits!

Vern laughed, and Lee smiled. They both in the end sold their businesses for millions!

Hobby Bench is very nice, but I wish that Lee would share his glory with us like Vern does. He is, after all, still a rock star...

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 11-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Hobby Bench is very nice, but I wish that Lee would share his glory with us like Vern does. He is, after all, still a rock star...

Bill

Bill,

Lee just doesn't have 'Go Fever' anymore. I had to TWIST his arm to attend NARAM-50 O.R.R.!

He is doing well, last year he had surgery and is doing fine.

Lee doesn't fly private aircraft as much as he used to, and I didn't see him at the Tuscon R/C Fly-in in the past year, so I think he is just relaxing these days.

He, Vern, G. Harry, Irv, and a few others are who we have to thank today for our hobby!

Jonathan
Old 11-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger t.
I have ten more Estes rockets all from the early 60's . No I am not trying to make a fortune but I just didn't want to rip my own self off or ruin someone else's collection. <snip>
They might end up in the closet for my kids to figure out what to do with them in 30 years or so I hope. Or maybe put the on eBay.. or maybe build them and put them in there glory !!!

As mentioned, I do a fair amount of selling on ebay. And it is both true and correct that, should you list the kits on ebay, you will get the market price for them. They are desireable and collectible. However, be aware that the market is on the down side currently so the price you will get is half of what you would get 5 years ago. If you are not in financial need, I would councel you to hold on to them until the economy is back up again, as I believe you will get more. However, if you just want to get a fair price and put them in the hands of someone who will truly appreciate the kits (like Earl), then ebay is the place.

I hate rules.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:02 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
Earl,

I didn't want to get Roger's hopes up. Its too bad I can't walk into a bank and say, 'Here is my Centuri Apollo Joe in 1/45 th scale'. Now were are my hundreds of dollars for it!?

LOL, that would be nice eh?

You only get what the market will bare at the time of sale.

A lot of people think these are valuable because they see other people who want them really badly spend large amounts of money for them. I am not going to rehash this stuff again, ad nauseum, but he has some $$$ there. All he has to do is get them listed then get some cash!

Roger, when you do list, post here with the link to the auctions!!! I love watching bidder carnage!

Jonathan

I always thought Centuri lived up to their by-line: "The Quality Leader in High-Flying Model Rockets". Tubes were stronger, parts in general were a little more robust. BOTH certainly had interesting kits and Estes had greater 'depth' of products and obviously the larger market share. Centuri was the first model rocket catalog I ever got ('71 catalog in late '70....the one with the Orion on the cover) and I memorized it at the time. So, Centuri has always had a favored spot in my heart.

But, I NEVER have bought kits as an 'investment'; only as a personal collection to obtain kits I never could afford as a kid. I get two of each kit: one of each to build and one to keep. I'm closing in on getting just about all Centuri kits from the latter 60s forward, but a few have been fleeting in my quest so far (e.g., the Centuri Aerobee 350 has proven harder to obtain than the 1/45th Little Joe II......got two of that one but NONE so far of the Aerobee). The Chuter II is another that eludes me so far. Matter of fact, the Aerobee is the ONLY Centuri kit from the '72 catalog that I have not been able to obtain.

Building kits from the collection is my pastime in the little time I have after work and with care duties for a live-in parent with dementia, but recent builds include Centuri Long Tom, Vulcan, Space Shuttle, Excaliber, and Buck Rogers Laser Lance. I 'detoured' briefly to build the Semroc USS America, and working out details on getting an Estes Cineroc into the air and building a vintage Estes Omega to boost it (I do dabble in some Estes vintage stuff on occasion). I am going to tackle one of the 1/45th Little Joes soon along with a couple of the Super kits.

Money could be made with these vintage kits if you sell at the right time, but making money is not my passion with these old kits. Doing what I wanted to experience 40 years ago with them is.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970

Last edited by Earl : 11-25-2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: To fix a number
Old 11-25-2012, 04:45 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Well darn I didn't realize collecting model rockets was so cut throat. I think I should list the Estes rockets I had GIVEN to me and let you Estes guys drool over them.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsas
As mentioned, I do a fair amount of selling on ebay. And it is both true and correct that, should you list the kits on ebay, you will get the market price for them. They are desireable and collectible. However, be aware that the market is on the down side currently so the price you will get is half of what you would get 5 years ago. If you are not in financial need, I would councel you to hold on to them until the economy is back up again, as I believe you will get more. However, if you just want to get a fair price and put them in the hands of someone who will truly appreciate the kits (like Earl), then ebay is the place.

The bad economy didn't stop a partially assembled KS-8 1/45 Little Joe II kit sell for $465 (including shipping) a few minutes ago.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:08 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The bad economy didn't stop a partially assembled KS-8 1/45 Little Joe II kit sell for $465 (including shipping) a few minutes ago.

Brings a smile to *my* face (says he who has a non-assembled KS-8, that is --><-- this close to going up for auction).

(but then again, it is ---> <--- this close to getting built)
Old 11-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Master Blaster

Roger T., the one thing that no one has told you is you should do some research.
Don't just list these kits, but first look at some other auctions and see how the items were
listed, the length of the auctions, starting price, even consider the day and time the auction will end. I could not bid on an item and it sold for a lot less than I would have bid,
because I was at work and was to busy . I can hear the snarling and mashing of teeth.
A guy I know from Palm Beach Florida just sold a large collection of Centuri kits on Ebay,
and there have been some of the earlier Centuri kits posted from time to time.

I Love Centuri Model Rockets, My first was a Javelin way back in 1966.
If you sell them good luck to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  100_0041.JPG
Views: 71
Size:  743.0 KB  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep

TB,

Just need Gen-X, Gen-y, and the Millennium Baby Generations to all pay these prices, and I won't need Obama Care in my old age!

Jonathan