Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2006, 08:01 AM
Master Modeler

Default New renderings up at Semroc website

Well, my bi-weekly check of the Semroc website revealed new images of the forth coming SLS Explorer and SLS Aero-Dart. Still no image of the Taurus though.

I suppose these will be making their debut at NARAM. Anyone know?

The backgrounds for these images are getting more and more elaborate. Nice work Semroc.

Romie
Old 06-28-2006, 08:51 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
Well, my bi-weekly check of the Semroc website revealed new images of the forth coming SLS Explorer and SLS Aero-Dart. Still no image of the Taurus though.

I suppose these will be making their debut at NARAM. Anyone know?

The backgrounds for these images are getting more and more elaborate. Nice work Semroc.

Romie

Was just checking the images...the Aero-Dart shows that the D12-3 will take the model to
only 50'. Is that right?! Please tell me this is a typo...
Old 06-28-2006, 09:10 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I can tell you that both the 1972 Enerjet Aero-Dart, ans the pre '72 "pointy-nose" Aero-Dart most definitely fly higher than '50 on a D12-3.
I fly both versions in my backyard and they fly to around 500' on a D12-3.
Sounds like you are off by a factor of 10.

I sure hope all the "In the works" (which used to be coming soon...what gives?) kits shown on the Semroc site are released at NARAM. I think the LJII, Saturn 1B, and Hustler have been "coming soon" for around 6 months. "Soon" for a rocket kit is not 6 months....that is soon for a NEW Chevrolet Corvette to come out.
The last word I had on those kits was the only thing that prevented them from coming out at NARCON was the instructions....seems a long time for a pamphlet.

Carl's kits are always great and worth the wait, but I admit I'm gettin' impatient as I have had a gift cert burnin' a hole in my pocket since well before last X-mas when these kits were announced.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !

Last edited by ghrocketman : 06-28-2006 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:37 AM
Master Modeler

ghrocketman wrote:

... Carl's kits are always great and worth the wait, but I admit I'm gettin' impatient...

Yeah, me too. The kits are so nice though I feel a little guilty complaining. I've been waiting since 2003 for the Arcon-Hi and Centurion kits to be released. So, I just ordered the parts and built them anyway. Having written and illustrated a few catalog/instruction booklets in my career, I do understand how tedious and difficult this process can be.

Romie
Old 06-28-2006, 10:57 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Perfection in illustration/writing of catalog/instructions is not needed or even wanted by the vast majority of those who buy Semroc kits.
When was the last time you actually had your decision to buy a particular kit made or broke based on the above ?
Geez....that illustration is fuzzy or "I heard they have lousy instructions".....let's be real !
Those items don't even weigh into my decision to buy a kit.

I wish Carl would release all of his kits as a "JTP" (just the parts) pak like they did earlier this year with the Hustler. I see that on the website the proposed price of the Hustler increased from $41.00 to $53.00....I was going to pay the $41 for a Bagged Hustler for my collection but $53 is too steep.....that's $8 over the S1B proposed price for FAR fewer parts.
I will definitely be purchasing an Explorer and Aero Dart kit though.

Most BARs do not need the instructions for anything but all the most complex builds (Mars Lander, Saturn 1B), but even those could be fairly BASIC for BARs.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Master Modeler

Carl has good taste:

The renderings of the Hustler and Aero-Dart have the same paint-job as my models!

http://home.comcast.net/%7Estefan_j...rodart_pose.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/%7Estefan_j...ustler_pose.jpg

These are from the inside back cover of the 1971 Centuri catalog.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Most BARs do not need the instructions for anything but all the most complex builds (Mars Lander, Saturn 1B), but even those could be fairly BASIC for BARs.

I've been to launches and talked with people that had been into rocketry for years and their rockets that looked like they had been built by 2nd graders. Some people need instructions (and help) for even the simplest of things.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Default "Getting *real.*"

Quote:
Perfection in illustration/writing of catalog/instructions is not needed or even wanted by the vast majority of those who buy Semroc kits.
When was the last time you actually had your decision to buy a particular kit made or broke based on the above ?
Geez....that illustration is fuzzy or "I heard they have lousy instructions".....let's be real !
Those items don't even weigh into my decision to buy a kit.
GH,

Carl has repeatedly said it takes about 200 hours *per model* before the kits are ready to go. (chuckling) I know, that doesn't help WHEN YOU WANT THEM *RIGHT NOW!*

But it'll be worth the wait. No, really! (For the record, I *can't* always wait, so I place a big parts order to keep me busy in the meantime.)

And I'll be finding out first-hand how long it takes to write the instructions for just a *simple* rocket. (Note the link in my .SIG.)

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 06-28-2006, 08:50 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
I sure hope all the "In the works" (which used to be coming soon...what gives?) kits shown on the Semroc site are released at NARAM. I think the LJII, Saturn 1B, and Hustler have been "coming soon" for around 6 months. "Soon" for a rocket kit is not 6 months....that is soon for a NEW Chevrolet Corvette to come out.
The last word I had on those kits was the only thing that prevented them from coming out at NARCON was the instructions....seems a long time for a pamphlet.

Carl's kits are always great and worth the wait, but I admit I'm gettin' impatient as I have had a gift cert burnin' a hole in my pocket since well before last X-mas when these kits were announced.
The SLS Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart, and SLS Explorer have been "in the works" for over three years now. The design goal has been to make the motor mounts interchangeable between 24 and 29 mm mounts between all three kits. We have that now with a similar twist-lock mount system similar to the SLS Laser-X.

I apologize for the delay and not being able to nail down what "soon" is. I responded to a question on the "other" forum about how soon we would produce motors.
That has been our dream since we started Semroc back up four years ago. Every dollar we have taken in has gone back into the company to expand our product line while maintaining the best quality and service that we can provide.

There are only three of us, each working 70-90 hours a week. We have to carefully plan our time and resources for maximum return. Estes sells more kits in one day than we have sold in the last four years, so we have to be more careful how each minute and each dollar is invested. Since we have always limited ourselves to the "Made in USA" philosophy, our profit margins and volumes will always be much lower when compared to companies that can take advantage of much more cost effective offshore labor and manufacturing costs.

In other (fewer) words, our customers are investing in the development of products we will produce in the future.

We are hurrying as fast as our resources allow, but if I push Sheryl and Bruce any harder, they might QUIT!
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 06-30-2006, 11:25 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
The SLS Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart, and SLS Explorer have been "in the works" for over three years now. The design goal has been to make the motor mounts interchangeable between 24 and 29 mm mounts between all three kits. We have that now with a similar twist-lock mount system similar to the SLS Laser-X. *snip*

Carl I'm very interested in this interchangeable mount system. Will you offer a parts kit for this so it can be incorporated into other new builds. I'd love to have the option to fly some of my EnerJet clones or scratch builds on 24 and 29mm motors since access to the HPR field in Louisiana is only a few times a year and where black powder D and E engines are preferred.

I'll buy them ..... please, please please
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates