Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2019, 05:04 AM
Sometimes collector

One thing I would love to see is the Semroc kits from Naram 2003. My understanding is Carl manned a booth there. However, the kits were not available generally until months later, probably October, so it’s likely there are differences. I would also like to see the commemorative kits I think there are two or more.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:47 PM
Sometimes collector

Just down to looking for a full instructions date for these:

Astron ( Wallyum checked but maybe there’s a different version out there?)
Earmark (No full date on PDF version, maybe there is another version?)
My Boid

Xkits:

(I now think the trident was as an xkit)-Trident xkit only
Old 09-11-2019, 05:09 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Just down to looking for a full instructions date for these:

Astron ( Wallyum checked but maybe there’s a different version out there?)
Earmark (No full date on PDF version, maybe there is another version?)
My Boid

Xkits:

(I now think the trident was as an xkit)-Trident xkit only

Someone must have a NC era boid?
Old 09-11-2019, 05:36 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Someone must have a NC era boid?

I do. It was my first Semroc kit when I was a brand new BAR and wanted to check out various companies.

I just found the instructions in my file. There is no date on them that I could locate.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 09-11-2019, 07:09 PM
Sometimes collector

Thanks for the info, is there a copyright date? Could you post a pic of the facecard? I have the erockets version and am curious if they are different.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:25 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl@Semroc
Your memory is not wrong. We did do a plain Mark xKit. The xKits were produced because some kept asking for these kits but Carl didn't have time for the instructions plus he wanted to see how well they were received. If they were popular, he would take the time to write the instructions and we made it into a regular kit.

Thanks Sheryl !! That gives me more desire to keep digging thru my boxes, etc.

Craig
Old 09-11-2019, 09:06 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Thanks for the info, is there a copyright date? Could you post a pic of the facecard? I have the erockets version and am curious if they are different.

If the My Boid kit instructions don't have a clear version date shown, why not just use the date in Carl's 5/9/05 YORF post announcing the actual release of the My Boids on that date: 5/9/05: https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/sho...&highlight=Boid

It is interesting that Carl said that Semroc was releasing " over 100 new kits today " as he considered each Boid kit to be kind of a unique kit in itself , so that youth groups could economically allow each kid in the group the chance to fly a relatively different rocket, which is a different concept than many of the youth group intended "Bulk packs" that had a dozen of the exact same kit parts. There is a great trivia question for your rocket friends: "Which rocket company released 100 new kit offerings on one day? "

Further, Carl also says that over 700 test flights were done in the previous 2 months. Maybe another possible trivia question: "How many test flights does a rocket company perform before bringing out a new kit...…using actual potential customers (from ages 6 to 78) to build & fly the test models????"

And as for continuing development, I was impressed with the recent improvements Randy Boadway came out with to make the Semroc Boids even more beginner friendly - the Boid is an interesting kit!

Craig
SAM #0010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
Semroc released over 100 new kits today. The Boids were developed for Scout and school groups. Using over ten different nose cones and twelve different fin patterns, each Boid is unique.

Over 700 have been test flown by local Boy Scout troops and Cub Scout packs in the past two months. Most of the test rockets were built and flown in under two hours by youth from 6 to 78. Each kit has an engine mount with hook, parachute recovery, laser-cut fins, and smooth balsa nose cone.

Available as Solo Boids and Flock of Boids (25) with generous discounts to qualifying groups.

Boid Identification Guide is in the works.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:29 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7

As I said, there is no date on the instructions anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DF343741-B18C-40CD-9454-4417E90256AF.jpeg
Views: 59
Size:  1.16 MB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 09-12-2019, 09:25 AM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ranger
If the My Boid kit instructions don't have a clear version date shown, why not just use the date in Carl's 5/9/05 YORF post announcing the actual release of the My Boids on that date: 5/9/05:

Craig
SAM #0010

I tried initially to get release dates but it seemed that often Kits were released without announcement, people would come here and say they found it for sale on the site, and sometimes an official announcement was made later (Semroc minute or Christmas letter) so I shifted to the instruction dates which in a number of the kits I looked at was the day before an official announcement, like it was the last thing Carl did. So I’ll have a hybrid of the announced dates and the instruction dates I guess, thank you so much for all the help.

For the Boid you have, was the tube slotted?
Old 09-12-2019, 05:53 PM
Master Modeler

I have a My Boid. The instructions say Copyright c 2005-2011, Semroc Astronautics Corp.
The kit has a slotted tube and streamer recovery.