Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zog139
Hey Jerry,

What is it that makes the Sirius model better then the Apogee model ? I have one of the Apogee 1B models and it is pretty nice. I would imagine the Apogee Sat-5 is similiar in quality. Have never seen the Sirius model, it is larger at 1/64th scale however it is another $80 roughly ?

The level detail on the Sirius kit is quite good. The resin and vac-u-form are very cleanly molded. I believe it is better than the Apogee kit. Don't get me wrong, the Apogee kit is super nice, however, it is a little smaller and less detail. I rank it #2 on the list.

GH brought up big point about the Sirius kit. I does require a Lvl 1 to fly. The only recommended motor is the I 285. That doesn't mean you can't fly it on others, but that is what Dave recommends. I also thought about the "willingness to fly" part of this as well. It does build into a nice model, however, you only live once so you've got to fly'm...
TRA #11767
Level 1
Old 08-30-2010, 10:30 PM
"now where did THAT one go??"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo52
Agree the Semroc is a great kit. Depending on your experience level, plan to spend some time building the kit. It doesn't go together like 90% of the rocket kits out there. The detail is awesome and much like the Dr. Zooch kit, you build much of it. The difference is the level of detail. If you are looking to fly quicker....get the Zooch.

But I have to say, I'm a little dissapointed in you SoopirV...you are supposed to realize the right answer is to get both!

Wow...you're so right, sorry!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:38 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Don't try using the Aerotech F39 RMS24 reload though...it does not come in a suitable delay; the shortest available is the F39-6T, which is too long.

We are allowed to adjust those now...drill, baby, drill...

Bill
Old 08-31-2010, 07:45 AM
I do not like Facebook

I bought one of these at NARAM and have been thinking about how I want to build it ever since. I do not know why I did not think of posting about it here: the FlisKits Saturn 1B in 1/282 scale.

The instructions provide information for true masochists to build an amazing anount of detail, similar to the Semroc kit, but in a much smaller size.

Bill
Old 08-31-2010, 07:49 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Re: F39-9T(6)
We are allowed to adjust those now...drill, baby, drill...
So, which number do I drill from? I need a 4 second delay. Do I take off 5 or 2?

Seriously, on these ambiguously marked F39's, which number do we use? All three delays - 12, 9, 6 - have the parenthetically included numbers - 9, 6, 3 - respectively. Is the F39-9T(6) nearer a 9 or a 6?

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 08-31-2010, 08:02 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
So, which number do I drill from? I need a 4 second delay. Do I take off 5 or 2?

Seriously, on these ambiguously marked F39's, which number do we use? All three delays - 12, 9, 6 - have the parenthetically included numbers - 9, 6, 3 - respectively. Is the F39-9T(6) nearer a 9 or a 6?

My understanding is that the number in parenthesis is what the certifying organization measured. Maybe something to do with the difference between the delay defined as the time from motor ignition to ejection vs the traditional time from motor burnout to ejection?

The conservative approach would be to try several of the loads in a simpler, more forgiving rocket and measure the delay before flying something more highly treasured.

Bill
Old 08-31-2010, 02:06 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The number in parentheses indicates the ACTUAL MEASURED delay during certification testing BY NAR.
In my experience it tends to be somewhere in-between on the F39.
The F39-9(6) seems to be around -7
The F39-6(3) seems to be right around -5
I have zero experience with the F39-12(9) which I have NO idea what would be good for. Extreme altitude of a BT55 based rocket like a Cherokee-D on a 50n-sec F ???

The F39T is one motor from Aerotech that definitely does NOT give a "Bonus" x-tra delay.

I don't find H or I motors really expensive...these in reload form are cheaper than flying full-impulse single use F and G motors, that's for SURE. Retail price for a H250G for the 29/240 case is only $19.95...most likely one can get them cheaper.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !

Last edited by ghrocketman : 08-31-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:41 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I don't find H or I motors really expensive...these in reload form are cheaper than flying full-impulse single use F and G motors, that's for SURE. Retail price for a H250G for the 29/240 case is only $19.95...most likely one can get them cheaper.

Easy for you to say if you have regular high-power launches nearby. I can drive a little over a half an hour and fly up to G motors to my heart's delight once a month, but our high-power field, when it is not in crops, is about an hour further away.

Bill
Old 08-31-2010, 02:54 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Until this year I could safely fly H motors up to the 4.4oz propellant FAA limit in my backyard as I bordered a large 500+ acre farm.
The real "High Power" field is about 1.5 hrs away for me, which I don't see as far as I drive 1.25 hrs EACH way to work every day.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-01-2010, 02:23 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
How about a Sheri's Hot Rockets Saturn V? <ducking>

Curious that you bring that up... just received an email from Sheri (complete with cool new pics from Hawaii) asking for a $250.00 advance cash deposit for a 1/10th scale LTV Scout. Do you think I should go for it?
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."