Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2021, 06:24 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

We had an unscheduled club launch today (just low and mid-power stuf, nothing over 1500'). Weather was perfect for flying. Hardly any wind. Comfortable 55 degrees. Couldn't resist putting the Super Tornado and the T-22 in the air.

Put the Super Tornado up on its first flight with a B6-4. Nice launch, not too high and slow enough you could watch the spin. 4-second delay a little too long but it looked epic spinning on the way down too. Parachute deployed with plenty of air between it and the ground and recovered within 100' of the pad. I tried to get a lift-off picture but was too fast on the button and just got another picture of it on the pad. The video file is too large to post here.

Its second flight was on a C6-3. Where the B6-4 delay was too long, the C6-3 seemed too short. It did fly really well again. I think with this particular rocket, it's better to watch it on a B6.

With that said, I happened to find some of the recommended B6-2 motors in my range box. Third flight was another good one but I think the B6-2 delay was too short again. Deployed just short of apogee (started into the arc). I think I'm going to stick with the B6-4. Makes for a much more exciting launch.

The T-22 Eliminator saw two flights. The first flight was on a C6-3. Got some nice altitude and flew pretty straight. Parachute deployment appeared to occur at apogee. Did manage to get a lift off flight. The second flight was on a D12-5. Scooted off the pad without hesitation. Another nice straight flight. If it had been a windy day, I'm sure I would have gotten some weather cocking. Deployment appeared to occur short of apogee. I suspect a D12-7 would be a perfect motor for this rocket.

Here are some photos. I sent Scott a video of the Super Tornado on the B6-4 but I'm not sure if it can be posted (no, there was no cussing) . I had to shorten the video to meet file size requirements of my email account. Looking forward to getting my Level 1 Certification rocket into the air next weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Super Tornado on Pad.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  246.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Eliminator on Pad.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  216.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Eliminator Liftoff.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  128.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Eliminator in Air.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  76.0 KB  
Old 11-06-2021, 07:09 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

An F isn't quite enuff for a "always remembered" flight in the Eager Beaver, but a G is.
Light that Beaver UPPPPP !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !