Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2020, 11:18 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Hilarious, tbzep.
Some people are mired in meaningless semantics that are totally IRRELEVANT.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-07-2020, 01:03 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I'd kinda like to see all those texting idiots slam into a mountain instead of hitting me head on!

Yeah, but more than likely they'd run into me. Also, if the pilot licensing was as it is now, can you imagine the wailing when only about 20% (at most) of those taking the test would pass?
Old 01-07-2020, 02:59 PM

Instead of airline "deregulation" of the early eighties, what should have been deregulated should have been LICENSING requirements to include much heavier aircraft than ultra-lights.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:32 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Good thing we got to the moon in 1969. Half the world would have said we failed if we had done it in 1970.

Funny you should mention that.

I do recall in some of my many Apollo history readings that there was some discussion (at some level, don’t recall who actually) after the fire when things were looking somewhat dire for the Apollo program meeting that “by the end of the decade” goal. Someone had stated that, well technically, the decade JFK was referencing in his goal would not really end until the end of 1970.

Thankfully, we made it well before that and there obviously was no point of contention about meeting the goal. But, had things stretched out, there may have been some within the program that might have fallen back on the true ‘technical’ definition of “the end of the decade”, though I think for most people, the argument would not have carried a great deal of weight.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-08-2020, 07:40 AM
Dazed and Confused

The first decade started at zero and ended at 10. If we go that way, it's 1970.

However, most people block things together that are similar and none of them were around in the first decade, so we usually start with 1960 and end with 1969. I'm good with that. 1970 can't be part of the 60's because it's a 70.

Thankfully, a decade is any block of ten years, so we can slice it any way we choose. If Kennedy had given the speech in Dec of 1962 instead of 1961 and had said, "within a decade", we would have fit all our moon landings in his schedule.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:09 AM

An even better explanation, tbzep !
I'm with you 100% on that.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:01 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
The first decade started at zero and ended at 10. If we go that way, it's 1970.

However, most people block things together that are similar and none of them were around in the first decade, so we usually start with 1960 and end with 1969. I'm good with that. 1970 can't be part of the 60's because it's a 70.

Thankfully, a decade is any block of ten years, so we can slice it any way we choose. If Kennedy had given the speech in Dec of 1962 instead of 1961 and had said, "within a decade", we would have fit all our moon landings in his schedule.

Yeah, it seems we are saying pretty much the same thing (see in particular my post #9).

With Kennedy's May, 1961 speech to Congress where he originally proposed the moon landing goal, he unfortunately boxed himself in just a bit. His phrasing for the time frame of meeting the goal was "...before THIS decade is out...." (emphasis mine). Interpretation by most would mean, as we have both stated, 'within the 1960s', and not stretching into any part of 1970 at all. But, if he had said "within A decade", it would have given him at least until May, 1971 to achieve the goal.

However even if we had slipped past the end of 1969 in achieving the first moon landing, it was such a game-changing achievement, I'm not sure many would have fretted too much about 'missing' the goal.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-08-2020, 02:24 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I recall that discussion came up in late 1999 about the milinium rollover; some saying THAT wouldn’t really happen until 1-1-2001.

That's why Arthur C. Clarke picked 2001 as the year for his screenplay and novel.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:42 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
That's why Arthur C. Clarke picked 2001 as the year for his screenplay and novel.

It sounds way better than 2000 anyway.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:32 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Yeah, it seems we are saying pretty much the same thing (see in particular my post #9).

With Kennedy's May, 1961 speech to Congress where he originally proposed the moon landing goal, he unfortunately boxed himself in just a bit. His phrasing for the time frame of meeting the goal was "...before THIS decade is out...." (emphasis mine). Interpretation by most would mean, as we have both stated, 'within the 1960s', and not stretching into any part of 1970 at all. But, if he had said "within A decade", it would have given him at least until May, 1971 to achieve the goal.

However even if we had slipped past the end of 1969 in achieving the first moon landing, it was such a game-changing achievement, I'm not sure many would have fretted too much about 'missing' the goal.

Earl

Space program detractors and enemies of the USA would have hounded NASA and the US, but the majority of the country (including both political parties) wouldn't have fretted much about the slip, especially after the Apollo 1 setback.