Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2020, 07:29 PM
Old Submariner

Default Comet Neowise

Has anyone else been watching Comet Neowise? I saw it for my first time in Portland, Oregon on Tuesday night and then again last night from home. I’m going out with the Leica and a tripod tonight to where (there should be) less light pollution and try to get a good time exposure of it.

It’s NO Hale Bopp, but it IS a fine sight! If you miss it, it should be visible again in approx 6800 years IIRC. Maybe Ted Williams will get to see it if they defrost his head.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 07-17-2020, 07:47 PM
Sometimes collector

I looked last night but there were too many clouds in PA, I am going to try again tonight. Glad you saw it!
Old 07-17-2020, 08:18 PM
Dazed and Confused

I've got a Walmart to the north of me so I haven't been able to see it. One night when it isn't cloudy I plan on driving farther out in the boonies to have a look. It's supposed to be getting dimmer by the day, but I've been dealing with thunderheads and 3000% humidity here the last several evenings.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:11 PM
Lost his Drifter

Just came in from watching it for a while. Very nice - it actually looks like a comet. Not some fuzzy blob. Was a handsome sight in binoculars.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 07-17-2020, 10:45 PM
Old Submariner

I just got in from looking at Neowise. Good viewing tonight! I shot and shot and shot with the Leica and the Nikon until the batteries died. I'll look at the images tomorrow and see if I got anything.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 07-18-2020, 09:22 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Jeffy-
Post a few images here if possible.
I have too many lights around to be able to see it without driving out to the boonies.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-18-2020, 09:29 AM
Old Submariner

Well, the photos from last night were a bust. Or, in the immortal words of Yukon Cornelius: "NUTHIN'!"

The problem is, I have good gear--I just don't have the right gear.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 07-18-2020, 11:12 AM
Master Modeler

My wife and I were able to see it last night from part way down our cul-de-sac and hiding from all the porch and garage lights. I think we were barely discern it with the naked eye, but got some good viewing with a pair of binoculars she inherited from her Dad.

Between spillover light from Seattle and some thin clouds, we were kind of lucky to be able to see it.

I also managed to get a few "meh" images and maybe one or two fair ones with our Lumix camera....which was an exercise in frustration. But the camera is new to us and has so many ways to do things that we are still climbing the learning curve, to say the least. I may try again tonight now that we know where to look. We will likely have clearer skies tonight which should help a bit.

Not having the right gear - that sounds familiar....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 07-18-2020, 01:45 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Between spillover light from Seattle and some thin clouds, we were kind of lucky to be able to see it.

Ditto... even driving out to the nearby Observatory Park where it was a little darker than my backyard, the light pollution really washed out the show. I still felt fortunate, and appreciated being able to see it at all.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 07-19-2020, 01:37 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Well, the photos from last night were a bust. Or, in the immortal words of Yukon Cornelius: "NUTHIN'!"

The problem is, I have good gear--I just don't have the right gear.

LOOONNG exposure time required... best if you have a 'clock mount" type telescope mount you can put the camera on to compensate for the Earth's rotation... if not it'll smear on an exposure over a minute or so... Takes a LONG time to collect enough light to actually see the thing.

We looked at it night before last, took awhile for us to find it here on the BIL's farm in N. Indiana, we weren't out at a good time (still a bit too light) and it was some high clouds to the NW where it's in the sky... Keira could look straight at it see it clearly, but I've been welding flashed too many times I couldn't see it looking straight at it, but if I looked slightly to one side or the other I could see it clearly. Just got my new glasses too so that was nice. BIL and Betty could see it pretty good, but my SIL couldn't really see it, her eyes are worse and her glasses are fairly old.

Last night was much better-- went out a little bit later, somewhat darker out and MUCH easier to see and brighter! VERY impressive looking last night! While we were out there, the ISS flew over fairly low in the NW sky, coming in from the west and departing to the north as it flew over the Great Lakes into Canada... we were still watching it well after it crossed over the Canadian border... I was following it on my ISS app that shows the current position of the ISS at all times and usually the external camera feed when it's turned on. Heavens Above app told me it was coming up so I pointed it out to everyone. Would have been a NEAT pic if one could have caught the ISS and comet in the same frame, though the exposure time required to get an image of the comet would likely have made the ISS into a "streak" LOL

Wanted to see it again tonight, but it was pretty hot here in Indiana today and VERY humid, and there was nothing but wall to wall thick high level clouds when we got back to the farm tonight, just before dark... so no joy. Maybe tomorrow.

Need to get the binocs out... definitely would be better. Too bad my telescope is in Texas...

OL J R