Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Do you own space? No - NAYSA does.

Angry "Gator-Skinned" paint - Causes?

OK so now I'm completely stumped. Went to put a second coat of paint on my Mini Shuttle clone and within minutes the entire thing "gator-skinned" on me, basically formed thousands of little cracks making it look like the paint will flake right off. If you have ever seen paint flaking off the walls of an abandoned building, it looks just like that.

In the past I have had this happen when I put acrylic clear coat over enamel gloss white, ruined an Alpha and damaged a scratch-build's paint job this way. However this was the same exact paint I had used for the first coat: ACE Premium Enamel gloss white.

So now it's doing it with enamel on enamel. It also only seems to do it on gloss white paint, as I've used ACE paint on countless other rockets (I have a feeling it's Krylon in disguise). I used this same exact can of paint to re paint my Firehawk with no problem.

So, what might be causing this? I get over ruining and repairing my Firehawk's paint job and now this!
Old 02-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrev
OK so now I'm completely stumped. Went to put a second coat of paint on my Mini Shuttle clone and within minutes the entire thing "gator-skinned" on me, basically formed thousands of little cracks making it look like the paint will flake right off, as if it were a wall in an abandoned building.

In the past I have had this happen when I put acrylic clear coat over enamel gloss white, ruined an Alpha and damaged a scratch-build's paint job this way. However this was the same exact paint I had used for the first coat: ACE Premium Enamel gloss white.

So now it's doing it with enamel on enamel. It also only seems to do it on gloss white paint, as I've used ACE paint on countless other rockets (I have a feeling it's Krylon in disguise). I used this same exact can of paint to re paint my Firehawk with no problem.

So, what might be causing this? I get over ruining and repairing my Firehawk's paint scheme and now this!
Sorry about your problem.

Since it's the same paint, the likely cause is that you didn't wait long enough. Most paints will say something like recoat within 1 hour or after 24 hours. Slow drying paints such as RustOleum (Stops Rust, not Painter's Touch) have times comparable to these. Fast drying paints such as Testors will have shorter times for both. You need to adhere to the recommendations, and derate for conditions. For example, both cold and humidity can make the paints dry slower, so more waiting time is in order.

Since it's Ace, I'm guessing it's an old Krylon-like, hot solvent paint. If the first coat is not fully cured, the solvents in the next coat can wreak havoc.

For recoating the same color, you want to apply all the coats in succession over a short time. For example, when I shoot RustOleum, I apply the first, light, tack coat, wait 10-20 minutes, then apply a heavier coat. Then, wait 10-20 and apply a third, if needed. All my coats are applied with no long drying periods in between.

I do similarly with other paints, but may shorten the waiting periods for the hotter paints.

HTH.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 02-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Do you own space? No - NAYSA does.

The first coat was applied 2 days ago, that day and today the temps in the shop were 65-degrees. What has me stumped is the fact that I used this same can to do gloss white over gloss white on my Firehawk, which has sat to dry for a much shorter time than the Mini Shuttle has. The paint on the MS was only applied to one balsa fin today, could the balsa have something to do with the gator-skinning?

I'm guessing I'm going to end up sanding and re-priming before trying another coat.

Last edited by jonrev : 02-23-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

I've been building models, especially rockets, since the early 60's.

In the words on YORF member Gus, "Suddenly, I'm eight years old again!"

http://sandmandecals.com/