Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 08:12 AM
BAR

The Maxi V2 is the only original maxi-brute I've not built, and at these prices, apparently I won't! Geez, even the re-release has gone crazy at $355: https://www.ebay.com/itm/326065547903
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old Today, 08:49 AM
Aggressor Aerospace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Well, $429. That went for even more than I thought.

Earl

It was me. I did it. And once again, GH is totally wrong. Simply stated, it isn't absurd.

I have a saying. "All hobbies are stupid - to those who don't enjoy that hobby."

Think about it. We're on this site because we love rocketry. We naturally differ on where we spend money, and how much we are willing to spend, but we at least (theoretically) can agree on a love of the hobby. One can literally list dozens of hobbies they think are stupid - and some people will respond with "yes, that IS dumb" and others defensively will say, "Hey I LIKE that!" Collecting (anything - stamps, baseball cards, dolls, toys), fly-tying, needlepoint, oil painting. All a dumb waste of time - unless you happen to like it.

As for the V-2, I got this very item - same box and everything - for my 13th birthday. My grandma bought it for me. I can't name ANY other gift in my nearly 55 years with that level of specificity (meaning, I know it was a birthday versus Christmas present, and I know exactly when I received it). That feels like a big deal to me.

Opening the shipping box, seeing the immaculate, shrink-wrapped item. It was 100%, totally worth it.

I'm sorry I made it unavailable to others, but not sorry she's mine. I feel like a kid again!
Old Today, 09:13 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognbuff
It was me. I did it. And once again, GH is totally wrong. Simply stated, it isn't absurd.

I have a saying. "All hobbies are stupid - to those who don't enjoy that hobby."

Think about it. We're on this site because we love rocketry. We naturally differ on where we spend money, and how much we are willing to spend, but we at least (theoretically) can agree on a love of the hobby. One can literally list dozens of hobbies they think are stupid - and some people will respond with "yes, that IS dumb" and others defensively will say, "Hey I LIKE that!" Collecting (anything - stamps, baseball cards, dolls, toys), fly-tying, needlepoint, oil painting. All a dumb waste of time - unless you happen to like it.

As for the V-2, I got this very item - same box and everything - for my 13th birthday. My grandma bought it for me. I can't name ANY other gift in my nearly 55 years with that level of specificity (meaning, I know it was a birthday versus Christmas present, and I know exactly when I received it). That feels like a big deal to me.

Opening the shipping box, seeing the immaculate, shrink-wrapped item. It was 100%, totally worth it.

I'm sorry I made it unavailable to others, but not sorry she's mine. I feel like a kid again!

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old Today, 10:55 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognbuff

I know exactly how you feel! Glad you were able to get what you wanted!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old Today, 12:16 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Beyond ABSURD and bonafide INSANE for a kit that's not rare.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old Today, 01:52 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Beyond ABSURD and bonafide INSANE for a kit that's not rare.

Well, actually in sealed condition it is rare; first one I have ever seen listed on eBay in sealed condition. I got a sealed (original issue) Maxi Brute Honest John on ebay about 10 years ago, but I have not seen a sealed V2 before. There was sealed Pershing some time back and it went for fairly decent coin, but I don't recall the exact price.

If something has special meaning for someone, then it is hard to judge the value if you are not that person. And it can be hard to understand the attachment to it as well. I have about four shrink wrapped Centuri Eagle Power starter sets. That is a fairly typical Centuri starter set and nothing really super-special about it. BUT, that was MY first starter set back in June of 1976 and I can remember getting at the store (right across the street from the Augusta National golf course) like it was yesterday. Got my lantern battery for the launcher there too. However, if that set was not YOUR first starter set, that Screaming Eagle rocket and launcher probably doesn't mean much to you.

For watchers of old vintage cinema I'll throw out one classic piece of dialog from the ending of a VERY classic movie that speaks to this issue fairly well: "Rosebud".

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old Today, 08:27 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

About the only kit I'd go that high or higher on is a sealed, boxed Enerjet Athena. Production less than 5% of that V2.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !