Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2020, 07:01 PM
Dazed and Confused

Default Seti@Home coming to an end

Seti@Home is coming to an end, or at least has been put on indefinite pause. They stopped producing new work units at the end of March. There are still some work units being run, but those will run out soon. (Edit: I just finished my last one tonight.)

Those of you that have run Seti@Home the last 20 years, what are you going to switch to? I've already been running Einstein@Home for several years along with Seti. I'm just wondering what you folks are up to.

Last edited by tbzep : 04-19-2020 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:18 PM
Master Modeler

We haven't been doing SETI@Home for a long time but....

I have been looking at something that IBM has said they will be helping with: https://www.ibm.org/OpenPandemics which is supposed to run on World Community Grid.

On another page for World Community Grid I read that it runs on the BOINC client that SETI@Home does (did?), so I signed up to be notified when this launches. Haven't heard back yet.

Added: prompted by your question....I just downloaded the BOINC client to my Mac and signed up for Rosetta@Home.

We just got a new Windoze machine with considerably more horsepower than the one it replaced and I will likely put it to work as well.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE

Last edited by BEC : 04-19-2020 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:31 AM
Craftsman

I ran Seti@home for many years, until they went to that abysmal BOINC. Never was happy with the way it run under BOINC.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:21 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapton
I ran Seti@home for many years, until they went to that abysmal BOINC. Never was happy with the way it run under BOINC.

BOINC got better as it went along. I also stopped for a little while when it first came online. As soon as I built a new and faster computer, I went back to it and never stopped.

You can still run the classic screensaver. It's simple to customize how much CPU and GPU computing power you want to use, switch among various projects automatically if you run more than one, etc.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:25 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I used to run a bunch of machines on Folding at Home (Protein folding simulations), but stopped about 10 years ago. It looks like Washington University is now running it (used to be Stanford).

The head guy (Vijay) was kind of difficult to deal with, but I kept at it. Final straw was when they encouraged us to set up machines using video card graphics units, and then after a while (a year or so?) they said nope, said GPUs were useless and threw out all the results. After that expense, I said forget it.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:45 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S
I used to run a bunch of machines on Folding at Home (Protein folding simulations), but stopped about 10 years ago. It looks like Washington University is now running it (used to be Stanford).

The head guy (Vijay) was kind of difficult to deal with, but I kept at it. Final straw was when they encouraged us to set up machines using video card graphics units, and then after a while (a year or so?) they said nope, said GPUs were useless and threw out all the results. After that expense, I said forget it.

That's interesting, because Seti and Einstein both use my graphics cards.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:58 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

What is this SETI thing anyway ??

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-21-2020, 01:46 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
What is this SETI thing anyway ??

Search for Estra Terrestrial Intelligence. They took data from the Arecibo Radio Telescope and split it into small work units for home computers around the world to search for radio wave patterns. No extra terrestrial intelligence was found, but they did find new pulsars and such.