Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2021, 10:29 PM
Old Submariner

Default Looking for a body tube.

A colleague of mine is looking for the main BT for the Estes #2111 Mercury Atlas. I believe this subject has been discussed here before but I don't if availability has changed since then.

I do know it's 3.4" OD (86 mm) x 18" long and it's VERY close in OD to the main BT of the OOP LJII.

Is there any place to get one?

Thanks!

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 09-20-2021, 08:45 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
A colleague of mine is looking for the main BT for the Estes #2111 Mercury Atlas. I believe this subject has been discussed here before but I don't if availability has changed since then.

I do know it's 3.4" OD (86 mm) x 18" long and it's VERY close in OD to the main BT of the OOP LJII.

Is there any place to get one?

Thanks!

If all else fails, modify a BT-100 or BT-101. I've done it to make both larger tubes and smaller than the original O.D. Scale guys used to do it all the time. I don't know if they still do or if they get custom made tubes.

Just slit the tube lengthwise, cutting a strip the correct width to get your 3.4" O.D. Use the strip as backing on the inside of the tube to glue the tube back together. He will need to cut notches in his centering rings, but it works great. Fill the seam just like you would fill spirals. He will finally get to use some of the high school geometry he never thought he'd ever use to figure out the proper circumference for the O.D. he needs.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:20 AM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
If all else fails, modify a BT-100 or BT-101. I've done it to make both larger tubes and smaller than the original O.D. Scale guys used to do it all the time. I don't know if they still do or if they get custom made tubes.

Just slit the tube lengthwise, cutting a strip the correct width to get your 3.4" O.D. Use the strip as backing on the inside of the tube to glue the tube back together. He will need to cut notches in his centering rings, but it works great. Fill the seam just like you would fill spirals. He will finally get to use some of the high school geometry he never thought he'd ever use to figure out the proper circumference for the O.D. he needs.

Ah so! I think I remember a thread on that procedure.

Thanks!

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 09-20-2021, 10:30 AM
Master Modeler

Looks like we are thinking about the same thing.
I have a 3D printer and found a file done by Scottdee who is a member here, of the ESTES Mercury-Atlas. All I needed was the body tube. After reading some threads here I decided to cut down an old Saturn V tube. You can buy one from ESTES. The first thing I did was make a mandrel of the original Mercury-Atlas tube to help form the Saturn V tube around.
I cut the Saturn tube formed it around the mandrel and glued it up. Did this over the weekend still have to glue the strip of tubing on the inside for strength.

It's nice to know if this one crashes and burns I have the ability to build another one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  MA 1.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  60.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  MA 2.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  57.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  MA 3.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  70.7 KB  
Old 09-20-2021, 11:18 AM
Master Modeler

Thanks, TigerHawk I have that info and a ton of other stuff on the Mercury-Atlas.
This is my project for the Fall and Winter. My hat is off to Scottdee for his work on the 3D file.
For me, the ability to print rocket parts has opened up a lot of possibles. Don't get me wrong if ESTES puts the Mercury-Atlas kit out again I would buy more than one in a heartbeat.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:39 PM
Ciderwright

I hope the M-A comes back - then we might stand a chance of seeing the tubing showing up in the builders supplies - if only from damaged kits.

I resorted to making my own from paper tape.
Ad Astra Tabernamque!
Old 09-20-2021, 11:28 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk
I remember a post from earlier this year about Estes re-hiring Ron McClaren (sp?) designer of the Estes Mercury-Atlas. So I’m hoping they’re going to come out with it again soon.

Yes, Ron is back with Estes.

I don't know if the MA will be coming back.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:49 PM
Craftsman

Yeah I don't know about that Scott guy on thingiverse, he seems sketchy.

What I've done lately, since I wanted a 100 scale model I took and made a sleeve for most of the lower parts that just slips over the tube like a wrap. I like the looks of it anyway. If anyone is interested i will go ahead and publish it, or if anyone wants the same in another body tubes size I can scale and publish that also.

Different topic but I also redid the wrap for the Centuri sky lab KB4 as a sleeve, and added more details that I originally didn't include.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  ImageFacebookSquareimage1632257158526.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  778.8 KB  
Old 09-21-2021, 04:11 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_mills
Yeah I don't know about that Scott guy on thingiverse, he seems sketchy.

What I've done lately, since I wanted a 100 scale model I took and made a sleeve for most of the lower parts that just slips over the tube like a wrap. I like the looks of it anyway. If anyone is interested i will go ahead and publish it, or if anyone wants the same in another body tubes size I can scale and publish that also.

Different topic but I also redid the wrap for the Centuri sky lab KB4 as a sleeve, and added more details that I originally didn't include.

Hi Scott,
How can I get your 3D file for that Mercury Atlas or are you going to put it on Thingiverse?
Like your work. Thanks and don't stop.