Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2022, 09:21 AM
Master Modeler

“This deep field (A/B comparison in an animated GIF), taken by Webb’s Near-Infrared Camera (NIRCam), is a composite made from images at different wavelengths, totaling 12.5 hours — achieving depths at infrared wavelengths beyond the Hubble Space Telescope’s deepest fields, which took weeks.”

https://petapixel.com/assets/upload...vs-hubble-3.gif
The other day I sat next to a woman who has a profound fear of flying. I wanted to comfort her, so I said, "Don't worry, we're not gonna' crash. Statistically, we got a better chance of being bitten by a shark." Then I showed her the scar on my elbow from a shark attack. I said, "I got this when my plane went down off of Florida." - Dennis Regan
Old 07-15-2022, 03:15 PM
Craftsman

The *Real* source of that JWST photo:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  FXreSc_UsAAxas5.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  21.9 KB  
Old 07-29-2022, 11:27 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

WHO cares if they slur words ??

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-07-2022, 02:40 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I TOTALLY agree with US payloads must be launched atop US vehicle policy.
Same for fighter aircraft. Not USA= NO SALE.
Sick and tired of foreign intrusion into products that should be manufactured here.
And NO Toyota does not count no matter where the plant is.

The GloBULL "economy" is the #1 factor responsible for the erosion of the middle class.
Having a "living wage" middle class job should NOT be difficult.

EXACTLY right... OL J R
Old 10-07-2022, 02:49 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Obviously the JWST is no longer here, but these banners and posters show the composition. I didn't know until my visit to Goddard that the JWST is NOT enclosed (like the Hubble is.) one of the many things I don't know about it is: where are the solar panels? I should have asked.

The honeycomb array of 18 gold mirrors unfolds after the telescope is placed in orbit. I'm assuming the software compensates for the color of the mirrors(?)

It's an INFRARED telescope, not visible light, so the color of the mirrors isn't important, nor is a tube to keep out stray light. The Gold of the mirrors was used as its the most efficient reflector of infrared energy.

NASA has done a terrible job representing this telescope. First off, the way they show it in space is about OPPOSITE of how it's really going to fly... turning the pictures/graphics SIDEWAYS is a better representation. The huge "tennis court" sized SUN SHIELD made out of layers of mylar separated enough to reject heat from one another are designed to shield the mirror array from the SUN. Thus the SUN SHADE WILL ALWAYS POINT TOWARD THE SUN. In fact if the full sun were to shine on the mirror array it would totally screw up the telescope. Webb relies on TOTAL SHADE and the heat rejecting/redirecting properties of the sunshade to keep its mirrors as close to absolute zero as possible, using the thermal radiation cooling principle of the vacuum of deep space. Webb doesn't go "into orbit" around the Earth, it goes to a Sun-Earth Lagrange point 2 (ESL-2) halo orbit about a million miles away from Earth, opposite the sun, with the Earth between it and the sun. It orbits this point about once per year, outlining a long "loop" around this point. The radios to communicate the results and receive instructions are on the sunward side, opposite the mirrors, as well as the solar panel and other gear, the telescope mirrors and instrument package is on the back side (dark side) of the heat shield, soaking in the extreme cold of the vacuum of deep space, so that the instruments remain sensitive to the faint infrared energy the mirrors collect and reflect via the secondary mirror on the three legs into the instrument package behind the primary mirror.

Later! OL J R
Old 10-08-2022, 12:10 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
From the JWST status page (screen cap below):

At Day 6 and some hours, Webb is almost just right at half way to L2, but its speed has dropped to just under a half mile per second. That speed has been dropping steadily since injection out of earth orbit. Not sure just exactly how slow that velocity will get, but it is interesting that 23 more days to go to cover the OTHER half of that nearly one million miles. I understand they want to approach the L2 point very carefully and very slowly and NOT go beyond L2. They can't thrust 'backwards' if they do.

Earl

Basically what they're doing is, to use an Earthbound analogy... imagine you're on the approach to the base of a very tall hill in your car... you want to accelerate to a given speed to give you *just enough* speed to be able to COAST all the way to the top of the hill, but basically be going as close to stopped as possible at the very crest of the hill... The "acceleration" part was provided by the Ariane 5, to get to the *exact* speed they need to coast up out of the Earth's gravity well and into the solar gravity well (hill on a hill basically, or a hill with a steep slope starting out, and a shallower slope halfway up to the top, if you can imagine it that way) and then coast up the rest of the way to the million miles from Earth to the ESL-2 Lagrange point, and arrive there as close to "zero" as they possibly can, to minize fuel usage to thrust into the planned halo orbit... like in the analogy, using as little brake as possible at the top of the hill to keep from rolling over the top and down the other side.

Close as I can explain the trajectory mechanics... OL J R