Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Red River Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Rocketry
So that was your drool?

Thanks John! I have also just seen seen the pic of your new release... I like!!!!!

Dave

Thanks!
Stratos was a fun model to kit. It's been gettign alot of positive comments! I still gotta size down the photos from last weekend (NSL) so that I can post them on this forum...

John
Old 06-03-2006, 11:57 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Exclamation OFFICIAL REVIEW: Sirius Rocketry LPR Interrogator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Rocketry
Sirius Rocketry announces the release of the new Interrogator, in two different sizes!
Posted to The Rocketry Forum (TRF) on Dean H. Fox's "Sirius Rocketry LPR Interrogator" thread:

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showth...1442#post311442

...And reposted here for your viewing pleasure.

+++

At NARCON 2006, David J. Miller of Sirius Rocketry had both 18 and 24mm prototypes of a new rocket called the "Interrogator" that he hadn't released yet. Two months later, Dave said the kits were finally ready, and he shipped me a low power version to build, test-fly, and review. The media onslaught begins *now.*

The Sirius Rocketry "Interrogator" uses standard Estes-size parts, but incorporates several unusual building techniques, including laminating 1/16" balsa fins on both sides with adhesive computer label paper. *MAKE SURE* you read the 12-page assembly manual -- with black and white photo illustrations -- very closely ahead of time to ward off any potential "gotchas." The "Interrogator's" off-center design is a nice change, and the plastic nose cone and paper-covered fins mean no time-consuming sealing is necessary!

The waterslide decals have enough detail that future cloners will need some *very* high-resolution scans. The decals are practically Shroxian in their sheer quality and quantity (the equivalent of an 8.5 x 11" sheet). However, make sure your decal application technique isn't rusty, because you'll need to apply a couple of tube-circling bands, as well as a rather large single piece to the underside of the intake tube.

The only drawbacks I found are the Mylar (TM) parachute, which some rocketeers generally find somewhat fragile, and the lack of an engine block (but most rocketeers will have an extra one to plug in during assembly). However, Dave has what I thought was a rather innovative but still logical way of reinforcing the shroud line attachment points. You'll have to judge the Mylar chute by your previous experience, if you have any. I found it to be bulkier than the 1.1 oz. ripstop nylon parachute I substituted for my "Interrogator's" first two flights.

Dave (who's Sirius -- no, really, he is) recommends the A8-3, B6-4, and C6-5 motors for the 18mm version of this rocket. However, when I used an A8-3 for the first flight, the "Interrogator" (at its best!) clawed only 100 feet into the sky, and the ejection charge fired *well* past apogee. After a nerve-wracking but successful recovery, I shoved in a B6-4, which gave *much* more satisfying results for this high-drag design, and an altitude of about 250 feet. The "B" motor is great for small field flying, and a C6-5 would also probably keep the "Interrogator" relatively close to the launch pad.

Overall, it's a sturdy design, with lots of cool construction tricks that I've started using while building other rockets. Plus, its skill level is rated 3 out of a possible 5, and while it's probably unlike any rocket you've built before, even moderately experienced rocketeers will find it an enjoyable challenge. (Unless, of course, you end up tearing your hair out because you *DIDN'T* read the instructions first!)

The bad news is now I'll be constantly drooling just trying to imagine what cool new futuristic designs that Dave has yet to exorcise from that imagination of his. (drumming fingers on desk) C'mon, Dave, get crackin'!

Order your Low Power "Interrogator" now!

http://www.siriusrocketry.com/Interrogator01.htm

The "Interrogator" also comes in Mid Power size!

http://www.siriusrocketry.com/Interrogator02.htm

--Jay Goemmer
"Centuri Guy"

(NOTE: The Interrogator pictured below is still on its "paint wand."

The underside shot is a closeup of the intake tube, which also displays some of the highly detailed decals.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  InterrogatorDecaled_50_DSCF0960.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  144.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Interrogator_IntakeTube_30_DSCF0967.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  114.8 KB  

Last edited by CenturiGuy : 06-04-2006 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up Sneak Preview: EMRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Posted to The Rocketry Forum (TRF)
...while the "Extended Dance Version" is posted elsewhere:

http://home.earthlink.net/~gomero/rocketreviews.html

Click on "Interrogator."

Cheers,

--Jay
Old 06-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Master Modeler

Well, it stopped raining here long enough so that could stop working on the ARK and finish up my MPR Interrogator.

I didn't have to agonize like some of you with the "low numbers" since mine wasn't even in the first five.

So I built #6 and I think it looks pretty cool. I did mess up one of the decals slightly but you can hardly notice.

Tip: When you apply the PRM (paper reinforcing material) make sure you go over the entire surface to make sure it's stuck everywhere. I didn't and when I primed it, I got little wrinkles in the surface. I burnished them down when the primer dried and you can hardly notice them.

Which got me thinking... Since the paper lifted in those spots, should I have used a pin and made little holes along the line where the rudders attach for "glue rivets"? Or will the glue soak into the paper enough to make sure it's good and solid? I guess time will tell.

Anyways, I really like the looks of this and it's still fairly small for a mid-power rocket. Mine came out at 4.5 oz without the chute. I'm thinking an upscale to BT-60 main body with a BT-70 intake tube.

I think I'm going to use a nylon chute when I fly this. I now have several in various sizes with snap swivels so I just swap them into whatever I'm flying.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Interrogator_01 .JPG
Views: 107
Size:  45.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Interrogator_02.JPG
Views: 108
Size:  78.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Interrogator_05.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  48.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Interrogator_06.JPG
Views: 108
Size:  71.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Interrogator_09.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  87.6 KB  
Old 07-09-2006, 05:07 PM
Master Modeler

I flew the MPR Interrogator yesterday.

It went high and straight on a D12-5.

Unfortunately, upon ejection, the shock cord got tangled around the dowels on the wing fins and both rudders were broken loose.

The shock cord went around one dowel, over the tops of the rudders and around the other dowel so the rudders were most likely broken by the force of the chute opening.

If you use the shock cord that came in the kit, it won't happen because it's too short to wrap around the dowels. The kit shock cord was only about the length of the body tube and I replaced it with one that was twice as long.

You'll also notice in the second picture that the Paper Reinforcing Material also pulled up off of the right wing a little.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  interrogator 013 (2).JPG
Views: 89
Size:  85.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  interrogator 014 (2).JPG
Views: 106
Size:  67.6 KB