Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2005, 09:54 AM
FlisKits, Inc.

Default FlisKits: UFFO kits now available!

FlisKits is proud to announce that the UFFO (our anniversary promotional kit) is now available for retail sale!

This unique and fun kit began life as Jim Flis' attempt to scratch build a model just for himself...

The finished model so surprised even Jim, not to mention everyone at the launch, that it became evident that this scratchbuilt model was destine to become a kit also...

Probably (hopefully??) the last in a short series of foam cup rocket kits by FlisKits, the UFFO takes you places you never thought you'd go with foam cups or with rocketry!

Easy to build, a snap to prep and a hoot to fly! Build the most unusual flying saucer model rocket kit ever produced and the undisputed all time "Kid Magnet" modroc kit available today!

For more information on the UFFO, click here!

Enjoy!
jim

http://toadstavern.com/
Old 10-18-2005, 04:20 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflis

Jim,

are the outer cups on that pre-slotted ? ;-)

I'm assuming the outer 'ring' goes through all the cups, or is it just pieces between each cup ?

~ AL Swack.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:54 PM
FlisKits, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Jim,

are the outer cups on that pre-slotted ? ;-)

I'm assuming the outer 'ring' goes through all the cups, or is it just pieces between each cup ?

~ AL Swack.

Al,

They are just pieces (wedges) that go between the cups. The cups are NOT slotted. Slotting would have made the model much sturdier but would have *greatly* increased the complexity and probably the cost as well.

If you assemble this kit with *hot* hot glue rather than the *cool* hot glue (now there's a misnomer for you LOL), you get a better result as there is some slight melting of the foam and, thus, better adhesion.

I do call out that such rockets need to be inspected before each flight to check for loose joints and repaired before flight. On the field, you can do a quick repair with a piece of masking tape, so it doesn't prevent you from flying.

They really are cool. Easy to build and fly and really attract a lot of attention. Not because they are anything all that spectacular but rather because they are so darned unusual

jim
Old 10-18-2005, 07:49 PM

Jim, thanks for the info, might have to try one of those out, it's a real neat design :-)

have a 'cuproc' ( similar to your decafinator) partly built - my brother had one of those waaaay back
( as designed by Dick Nelson ?) and used on the 3-2-1 Contact TV show ( which was filmed at WUBBA 7,iirc, while we were flying,including my brothers cup rocket).

nice flyer on FSI F7's as it has no weight and is real stable :-)

~ AL
Old 10-18-2005, 09:34 PM
FlisKits, Inc.

Ok, this is a hoot

Dick Nelson and Pearl River is where I first learned about foam cup rockets and I am coming to beleive that it is a North East obsession in that I have yet to hear from anyone who has heard of these things elsewhere! LOL

Yea, the FSI F7 was a great motor for these things.

Here are some pix from Pearl River (with Scott Branche) and a foam cup rocket we flew there:

http://jflis.com/hobbies/rocketry/photos/styro07.jpg
http://jflis.com/hobbies/rocketry/photos/styro08.jpg (That's Scott holding it)
http://jflis.com/hobbies/rocketry/p...tyro_launch.jpg

Dick Nelson and I go way back. I designed the Pearl River commemorative kit for the last 4-5 Pearl Rivers and hope to produce most if not all of them (one of them is our Praetor kit). Another that I hope to get out is the D-Nelson Tomahawk, named after Dick himself

My partner, Brian McCarthy was a student of Dick Nelson's

I've also competed at WUBBA and have shared many a good time with Art Rose there and at Pearl River (feels like old home week here LOL)

jim
Old 10-19-2005, 01:04 AM

very cool pics :-)

I wasn't aware that Pearl River was even still ongoing - last one I attended was, iirc, # 15.
( ? 1986 or 87 ?)

Our clus adviser, back when we had a local NAR section, knew Dick from way back, if you talk to Dick, tell him Chuck Goodwin said hi :-)

Pics with Scott Branche, as well. have not seen Scott since the old WUBBA meets... makin me feel old, you know . lol ....

if I recall correctly, Scott was on the 3-2-1 contact show, that used the cuprocks ?
with George Idiart ?
( my bro was supposed to be on there as well, he was interviewed, and we all had to sign forms allowing our footage to be shown,etc, but not sure much made it tot he airing, seesm maybe a quick clip of us running after one, onyl saw the show when it aired originally, one time .

will have to get mine done,pick up some Apogee F10's and see you at a launch :-)

ps: and you're right,not sure I've ever seen one except in the northeast

~ AL
Old 10-19-2005, 04:00 PM
FlisKits, Inc.

Al,

Oh, Pearl River is no more... It ended either 89 or 90. Basically, what happened in the North East was that MITCON and Pearl River were the pre-eminant conventions in the country (Cambridge, MA and Pearl River, NY). Myself and other members of my club (The Goddard Society) used to attend both of them.

At one point, we registered for MITCON and about 2 weeks before the event, we got a refund and an announcement that it was cancelled. We were so hyped for a convention that we decided to host our own called NEMROC (New England Model ROcketry Convention).

It was more work than we had expected so we invited a newly forming club (CMASS) to join us and we had the first NEMROC that october. NEMROC grew to be nearly as large as Pearl River and when Pearl River stopped (Dick retired), NEMROC became the largest convention in the country.

A few years later, NEMROC ended and so did (i beleive) all conventions around the country. the next year NARCON was born, but that was the only one around...

I've talked to Dick in recent months and in fact want to invite him to our next NEMROC convention in October of 2006 so keep watch

As for Scott Branch, I lost touch with him for over a decade and got back in touch with him via FlisKits. Now we see each other 2-3 times a year at various events around the country (he occationally does some work with/for Quest)

Here are two very neat pictures of Scott:

Back in the late 80's, Scott wa a fixture at Pearl River conventions and he loved the "Kit Bash" events. Here is a picture of him with one of his creations:
http://jflis.com/hobbies/rocketry/p...ottbranch01.jpg (ain't he cute?? )

Well, when I caught back up to him, he wanted to emphasize that he never throws anything out so he sent me *this* picture...
http://jflis.com/hobbies/rocketry/p...ranch01_new.jpg

LOL
Old 10-19-2005, 07:50 PM

thanks for the update, was wondering when you'd mentioned Pearl River like it was active, thought maybe it had 'come back' ( would that be a 'BARCON ' ?).

Sounds like it went a couple years after we'd attended then ( we only made it to two of them ,14-15 I think 86-7 or 87-8).
I know the last one ( that we stayed overnight for instead of down and back in a day and missed some), the convention kit was a CMR "Kum-e-part" , lost mine many years ago,wish I had plans for a repro.
I definately remember,speaking of Scott Branche, that he made some killer 'rocket eating insect' from the Foxfire kitbash kit.
Don't recall what we'd built with the kitback kits, but did clone a foxfire many years later,using the leftover fins,cones,decals.

Never got to make a Mit-con or Nemroc ( but might get to a Nemroc con sometime, too bad we didn;t come out this year, since the con liekly went on in the rain,versus the NEPRA launch was rained out .

someday, lol

~ AL