Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2020, 08:04 AM
BAR

Thanks Don & Chris, this was fun. My first NARAM ever, and I actually did pretty well in a few categories. Lost my parachute and glider models, but I guess that's part of the game, eh? Just received my huge cash prizes in those events too!
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 09-12-2020, 09:46 AM
NASA Ret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
Thanks Don & Chris, this was fun. My first NARAM ever, and I actually did pretty well in a few categories. Lost my parachute and glider models, but I guess that's part of the game, eh? Just received my huge cash prizes in those events too!

Paul, glad you were able to participate and had fun.

Yeah losing high performance models is part of the game, unfortunately. Except for the Craftsmanship events, most contestants don't spend a lot effort making their models look great. Smooth finishes are good for reducing drag, but lots of primer, paint, and stickers can add a lot of weight which usually works against you.

Note that in a real NARAM, you would need to return one of your two duration event flights. So, going for broke every time is a risky proposition. Many folks have a clunker model they are sure they can get back, in case they first one flies away. If they get a good flight the first time and they manage to recover it, then go for broke on the second flight as well. It might become a top finisher.

You can keep flying competition through the year in the NRC. It works much like the Virtual NARAM, only it runs through most of the Contest Year (usually August through end of June). Six of the Virtual NARAM Events are NRC events: 1/2A Altitude, 1/2A BG, 1/2A PD, 1/2A SD, 1/2A HD, and B Payload Altitude. It only takes 2 NAR members to have an NRC launch, also many club launches get registered as an NRC launch. Check out the NAR website for all the details: https://www.nar.org/contest-flying/

Don
SAM#513
NAR #11069

Last edited by fulldec : 09-12-2020 at 12:24 PM.