Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2020, 11:28 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
What, in essence, was said in the letter? If you are willing to say....

Earl

It was just defending the performance of the C6, and that if I would give him the address of the person whose rocket was destroyed, he would make it right. I'm pretty sure I still have it, but currently, with my stuff still over four different places, I haven't seen it in many years. The main thing was that it was overnighted to me, which was a big surprise. I still have the original article, but it's on an Aldus Pagemaker file from 1989 or 1990 -- who knew the problem wouldn't be the magnetic media, but no way to run the original program to read the file!
Old 07-10-2020, 11:30 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
then there was the scandal that got me a fedex'ed letter from Bill Stine and Fred ???? at MRC.

Frank Ritota.

He's now president of MRC.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:07 AM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
then there was the scandal that got me a fedex'ed letter from Bill Stine and Fred ???? at MRC.
Short story: a club member got a trailblazer, flew it on an MRC C6-3, it limped into the air and hit the ground before ejection. I wrote up the flight in our club's newsletter (which of course, we sent to all the manufacturers).

Now I really want to fly an MRC Trailblazer on an MRC C6-3.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:15 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Frank Ritota.

He's now president of MRC.

You sure it was Frank? There wasn't anyone named Fred there?

I really need to scan all these things when I get the hardcopies agaon...
Old 07-12-2020, 01:00 PM
Dazed and Confused

I bought a couple MRC packs of B6-4's in the late 80's or early 90's. I thought they were weak just from eyeballing the flight profile of a few of my old reliable models. They had a somewhat yellowish/brownish exhaust and the ejection was dirtier than Estes motors. I don't recall if the color was in the thrust, the delay, or both. They also had a very obviously smaller diameter above the ejection cap. Without digging out the old expended cases, I seem to recall their case walls were thinner than Estes motors.

I can see the advantage of MRC importing motors for retail and starter sets. I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to set up and manufacture their own to try go compete with Estes.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:14 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
It was just defending the performance of the C6, and that if I would give him the address of the person whose rocket was destroyed, he would make it right. I'm pretty sure I still have it, but currently, with my stuff still over four different places, I haven't seen it in many years. The main thing was that it was overnighted to me, which was a big surprise. I still have the original article, but it's on an Aldus Pagemaker file from 1989 or 1990 -- who knew the problem wouldn't be the magnetic media, but no way to run the original program to read the file!

Some folks still have Pagemaker on XP machines (probably newer Adobe owned versions). Maybe you could reach out and see if anyone will open your files and "print" to a PDF file.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:27 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I bought a couple MRC packs of B6-4's in the late 80's or early 90's. I thought they were weak just from eyeballing the flight profile of a few of my old reliable models. They had a somewhat yellowish/brownish exhaust and the ejection was dirtier than Estes motors. I don't recall if the color was in the thrust, the delay, or both. They also had a very obviously smaller diameter above the ejection cap. Without digging out the old expended cases, I seem to recall their case walls were thinner than Estes motors.

I can see the advantage of MRC importing motors for retail and starter sets. I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to set up and manufacture their own to try go compete with Estes.

yep, smaller OD (which is why MRC, and later Quest, could just stick their own labels on them and they'd still fit.

I once saw photographs of one of their machines. It was very pretty, shiny metal and powder-coated blue structure in a gleaming white room... obviously before they started using it! Since their background was mainly in fireworks, they probably didn't care as much about how 'dirty' their BP burned
Old 07-12-2020, 01:32 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
You sure it was Frank? There wasn't anyone named Fred there?

Yes, Frank.

Saw him at several trade shows. Always reminded me of an 'extra' in a Mob film.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:42 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Frank Ritota.

When I read that name, it came out in my head as Ray Liotta.