Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2011, 01:47 AM
Your typical BAAAR...

Default I hate rattle cans!

I managed to stuff up another simple paint job on my K-25 Alpha... Nothing complicated... just painting the black stripe and fin for the 1970s paint scheme. I had painted the entire rocket white, and let it dry for a week. Then I masked off the desired area with premium (green) masking tape, burnished all the edges very carfully, and shot 2 coats of the gloss black.

When I went to remove the masking tape, the paint along the edges lifted and came with the tape leaving a ratty looking ragged line. My guess is since I was painting over a gloss surface that the black didn't get a good enough hold.

I have to admit, spray can painting baffles me. When I do a plastic models, I typically shoot Tamiya flat acrylics through a double action airbrush and never have any trouble even with the most complicated paint schemes. I don't even consider that my paint might attack the primer, or that removing masking material will ruin the paint edge.

Don

Last edited by dbrent : 03-04-2011 at 02:08 AM.