Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2020, 07:42 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default One of those days....

Headed out to the local park for my third round of launches since falling back in to the hobby. Brought three kits: my MaxTrax, Mutant Daddy & AstroBeam (for when it got dark....started at around 7:00 PM).

First up was the MaxTrax.....looking forward to comparing its data to that of OpenRocket. RATS! Don't have the engine lock ring (hate that design)....I have some with me, but they're all for 24mm. Tried the one from the AstroBeam...it didn't want to lock and didn't want to force it, so the MaxTrax stayed grounded.

Next up was the Mutant Daddy. I always liked this kit. I loaded a D12-3 and hit the launch button. The rocket rose about 7 feet and FOOM! CATO! Flame shot out of both ends and the rocket flopped to the ground. Quite a bit of fire damage inside, but it might be repairable if I can find the right size tube to slip inside the existing body tube to act as reinforcement.

Final flight was the AstroBeam. I prepped the rocket with a B6-2 and launched. No go (but had a continuity light). I re-adjusted the launch clips and tried again. The ignition was a bit slow, but it came. Rocket flew to about 150 ~ 200'. Ejection near apogee, but chute failed to deploy (tangled in lines) so rocket came down a bit fast and broke a fin at the joint (repairable).

Sigh....not the best of evenings......

Post Script: Guess it was the luck of the draw. Just analyzed my supply of D12-3 motors...all are of 2007 vintage EXCEPT the one I randomly chose tonight....looking at the date code and the nozzle clay it seemed to be of 1986 vintage! (which makes sense, my last CATO was a D11-9 of about the same age). 4 D12-3's in my field box and I had to grab that one.....

Last edited by caheaton : 09-19-2020 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:35 PM
The Alpha Kid

That was some bad luck. At least it sounds like those two are repairable, and you were able to leave with the same number of rockets you brought. I've had mixed luck with motors of all ages. Brand new ones that CATO and vintage ones (30+ years old) that perform flawlessly.