Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2020, 08:08 AM
Sometimes collector

Thanks to everyone who ran this, i was reminded of the fragility of competion models and the fiddlyness of packing a large chute in a small airframe, and the feeling of loss when a carefully built and prepped model flies away. It also refreshed my memory of how hard it is to seriously compete at this level.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:26 AM
BP Mafia

I was reminded that I have very little success with gliders. I was also reminded that rocks don't do well under streamer.
Don't remind me.
I'm sure my fellow flyers would like to thank everyone for the laughs.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 08-24-2020, 08:53 AM
NASA Ret.

Default But it's fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Thanks to everyone who ran this, i was reminded of the fragility of competion models and the fiddlyness of packing a large chute in a small airframe, and the feeling of loss when a carefully built and prepped model flies away. It also refreshed my memory of how hard it is to seriously compete at this level.

So glad you participated, don't forget the deadline to get your results in to Chris is tonight at midnight (if you haven't sent it in). Sorry you lost your Parachute Duration model. I lost 2 and a 3 gliders. I saw 2 of the gliders land, way out in a tobacco field. Could not find them though. I feel your pain!

Don
SAM#513
NAR #11069
Old 08-24-2020, 08:57 AM
NASA Ret.

Default Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I was reminded that I have very little success with gliders. I was also reminded that rocks don't do well under streamer.
Don't remind me.
I'm sure my fellow flyers would like to thank everyone for the laughs.

Fish,

Gliders are a favorite of mine and I lost some. Yeah, rocks and streamers are not a good combo.

Glad we got some of the old gray cells working again, though.

Thanks for playing,

Don
SAM#513
NAR #11069
Old 08-24-2020, 10:59 AM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulldec

So glad you participated, don't forget the deadline to get your results in to Chris is tonight at midnight (if you haven't sent it in). Sorry you lost your Parachute Duration model. I lost 2 and a 3 gliders. I saw 2 of the gliders land, way out in a tobacco field. Could not find them though. I feel your pain!

Don

Thanks,

The funny thing is I looked at a video about packing comp chutes and followed it. When I finished, I had the feeling like “no way that’s opening”. With the four second delay the models eject going up, which may actually help open it up. The darn thing blossomed with the model hanging horizontally neatly under the chute, and I said “might not get that back”. My friend said, “oh it will come back” because models were coming down right around us all day. It had those moments when it looked like it was going back up again, but I think it ended up in a development across the road but a building blocked our view at 4:38, probably long before it actually landed. I was prepared to lose it, but it is a little worse because it was an Apogee model from the 90s and the blackshaft and nosecone can’t be obtained to replace it, and I don’t have any more of the red thin mil chute material favored by many flyers in the 90s. I am fighting regret not doing a second flight with a different model, but we were fighting dehydration after searching for it.

I’m sorry that you lost the gliders, but glad they glided well.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:19 PM
Rocketry is Fun.... Darn It !

I too want to say thanks for the Virtual NARAM. I left several models in that tobacco field too 🤓 I can only speak for myself, I do have some Black shaft tubing on hand, I'd bet others do as well. I've gone to flying 30mm airframes in NAR PD.

Jim
Old 08-24-2020, 07:30 PM
Sometimes collector

I’m really happy with the PD flight, it’s currently in the top third. I bet there are a lot of flights to add before it is all over but it was fun to participate. I think Chad Ring asked in the chat at the scale event, why so many people were doing virtual NARAM that don’t do the NRC contest which is all year long. That might be worth a thread on its own. All I can say is sport flying, every time I try to get a chute to deploy is a challenge and every safe recovery a victory.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:38 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zog139
I too want to say thanks for the Virtual NARAM. I left several models in that tobacco field too 🤓 I can only speak for myself, I do have some Black shaft tubing on hand, I'd bet others do as well. I've gone to flying 30mm airframes in NAR PD.

Jim

Do you have any blakshaft you would be willing to sell? I would like to get some bt-5 to replace the PD model and the top section of the old superoc, and some bt-20 to replace the lower airframe of the payload model that chipped when it hit the fin on ejection.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:55 AM
BP Mafia

https://www.nar.org/site/virtual-naram/results/
WOO-HOO! I scored a point! I'm somebody!

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 08-25-2020, 12:26 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
https://www.nar.org/site/virtual-naram/results/
WOO-HOO! I scored a point! I'm somebody!

Before you know it you will be launching from a tower, pulling fiberglass airframes off a mandrel, and weighing balsa!