Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2020, 05:50 PM
Craftsman

Default Unique Estes K-31 Star Blazer early kit plans

Here is an early version Estes K-31 Star Blazer kit plans that I recently found. Anyone ever seen this early version of kit plans for the Estes K-31 Star Blazer kit or know when it may have been printed? This one has the designer Bill See's initials under the kit name on the facecard section. None of the other versions of the K-31 instructions that I've seen have those initials. The instructions also do not have the reddish swish over the rocket image like the common versions of the K-31 kit plans have. Any additional information that anyone has concerning these plans would be appreciated.

Edit: Sorry, I've attached page 2 of the K-31 Star Blazer instructions that I have as a pdf document because the jpg file size was too large.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  K-31_Star_Blazer_facecard.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  319.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  K-31_Star_Blazer_plans_p1.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  1.64 MB  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf K-31 Star Blazer plans p2.pdf (111.6 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Faithwalker : 01-03-2020 at 11:14 PM. Reason: added page 2 of K-31 kit instructions
Old 01-03-2020, 06:15 PM
Lost his Drifter

You'll find more constructive and helpful discussion elsewhere, Faithwalker.

Try:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspo...tar-blazer.html

Unfortunately YORF is permanently inhabited by the worst, nastiest trolls in rocketry. Why GH hasn't been banned years ago is beyond me.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 01-03-2020, 06:18 PM
Flying since 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithwalker
Here is an early version Estes K-31 Star Blazer kit plans that I recently found. Anyone ever seen this early version of kit plans for the Estes K-31 Star Blazer kit or know when it may have been printed? This one has the designer Bill See's initials under the kit name on the facecard section. None of the other versions of the K-31 instructions that I've seen have those initials. The instructions also do not have the reddish swish over the rocket image like the common versions of the K-31 kit plans have. Any additional information that anyone has concerning these plans would be appreciated.

I am going to take a guess that this was probably the earliest version of the K-31 instructions and probably printed sometime during 1967 to early 1968. The first two or three years the K-31 Star Blazer was available, it was only available as a bonus kit if you placed a large enough order to Estes. It was only in the 1970 and 1971 catalogs that the Star Blazer (K-31) was available as a regular kit.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 01-03-2020, 06:37 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Information on Star Blazer instructions is available at vintageestesrockets.com

http://vintageestesrockets.com/k-ki...star-blazer.htm
Old 01-03-2020, 09:26 PM
Craftsman

Thanks for the references, guys! Those are familiar to me, but I will go ahead and check with Eric Higgins (of the vintageestesrockets.com website) and Danny Almond to see if they have any knowledge of this set of plans. These plans do not exactly match any of the four versions that Eric Higgins has on his http://vintageestesrockets.com/k-ki...star-blazer.htm website.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just happen to think that the Estes K-31 Star Blazer is a neat nostalgic retro model rocket, despite what others may think.

By the way, this K-31 Star Blazer kit did come with a free kit sticker on the kit bag, which leads me to believe that this was one of the earlier versions of this kit.

Perhaps, Vern Estes will see this post and chime in on what he remembers about this kit! If so, Happy Birthday, Vern! I am grateful for all the years of enjoyment to this hobby that you have helped generate for me and so many others over these many years. May God bless you and your precious wife Gleda with many more years! Thank you for your kindness and all you've done to help benefit so many. It was a pleasure to meet you in person at NARAM 60 and to still be building and flying model rockets that you made available to us! Many good memories and lots of fun!

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR

Last edited by Faithwalker : 01-03-2020 at 09:52 PM. Reason: corrected link
Old 01-04-2020, 04:13 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

You're right, the set of plans you have are definitely different, with the Estes logo and address printed on the short side. I'm sure Eric would appreciate getting a scan. My hunch is that you have the first set of plans there.

Joe
Old 01-04-2020, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Anyone know who designed the 0831 Star Blazer? I've wanted to write a short article on the history of the two versions, but haven't been able to track down the latter's designer.

Side note, the K-31 was one of my favorite designs in the first Estes catalog I ever got. I didn't get around to building one until just a couple years ago and flew it several times at NARAM 60.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_4042240a.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  112.9 KB  
Old 01-04-2020, 02:25 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
Anyone know who designed the 0831 Star Blazer? I've wanted to write a short article on the history of the two versions, but haven't been able to track down the latter's designer.

Side note, the K-31 was one of my favorite designs in the first Estes catalog I ever got. I didn't get around to building one until just a couple years ago and flew it several times at NARAM 60.

Bill See designed the Star Blazer.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Thanks Tbzep, but Bill was the designer of the first version. As far I as know the second version designer is unknown.