Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2015, 05:01 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Default ESTES ROCKS! #7240 Honest John Build

Went to Chili Blaster today. It's an annual event hosted by the Southern Colorado Rocketry Enthusiasts (SCORE) section, and it's also where my company, United Launch Alliance, conducts their annual intern rocket launch. Estes was there with some new products, including the new Honest John (#7240) kit. To my chagrin, they said it was a pre-production kit, and the "real" kits wouldn't be available until September. Still, it gave me the chance to admire the new tooling. The nose cone is beautiful, with the spin thruster housings molded in (unlike the Maxi-Brute version, where you had to cut them out and attach them to the cone). The boattail looks fantastic too. They said they will make minor tweaks to the pre-production kits, so the production version is "perfect!" I can't wait!

As you can guess by the name of this thread, things got AWESOME at the end of the day. Michael Fritz, the Estes Marketing Director, called me over, handed me the kit and said, "Build it, and let me know what you think!" Twist my arm, right? So, with a huge THANK YOU to Estes, I'm going to attempt my first build thread (please be patient). The kit photo is attached. Will open her up later tonight, photograph the pieces, and start the build.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  001.JPG
Views: 243
Size:  1.42 MB  
Old 07-18-2015, 05:39 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Very Cool.
I always liked their original 'grean header' Skill level 4/BT-50 based kit; that one was a real 'builders' kit.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-18-2015, 05:46 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Anxiously awaiting pictures! Its the only way us "regular" folks can admire the new kit. Otherwise we will have to wait until September to see one ...

Re: Mike Fritz

Estes support is really fantastic. I've been pulling out old kits from boxes that have been stashed away for a several years. I have a 2-stage Renegade (2109), and the updated version that is just single stage. I had opened up the 2-stage kit when I first got it, but I had misplaced my instructions. I went to the Estes website to download a copy. The PDF only had a couple pages. I contacted Estes, and Mike went to R&D and sent me the full PDF file a day later.

They always make it a high priority to answer customer questions and help resolve issues quickly.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 07-18-2015, 06:20 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Default Parts

OK - here are the parts. I had to split this photo in half because of the limitation on attachment size. There are four identical sheets of balsa. Next to the balsa is a band that wraps around the center of the body tube. It is laser-cut, as are the holes in it. The holes are off-center, which might be one of the fixes coming in the final kit (this part was symmetric in the Maxi-Brute kit, but you had to cut the holes yourself!). Also of note is the twist-on/twist-off motor retainer, as Estes has been using in their 29mm kits. Nice to see one available in 24mm now! Finally, a close-up of the nose cone spin nozzles and boattail.

I don't anticipate painting in the "test article" scheme on the package. Hopefully somebody (are you reading this, Gordy?) will produce the "operational" type decals like the Maxi-Brute version had.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  002 (2).jpg
Views: 369
Size:  1.10 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  002.JPG
Views: 267
Size:  1.00 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  003.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  1.25 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  004.JPG
Views: 231
Size:  1.02 MB  
Old 07-18-2015, 06:23 PM
Master Modeler

Cool! I'll be watching.

The SLV has the 24mm screw-on motor retainer as well. Works a treat.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 07-18-2015, 07:25 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognbuff
OK - here are the parts. I had to split this photo in half because of the limitation on attachment size. There are four identical sheets of balsa. Next to the balsa is a band that wraps around the center of the body tube. It is laser-cut, as are the holes in it. The holes are off-center, which might be one of the fixes coming in the final kit (this part was symmetric in the Maxi-Brute kit, but you had to cut the holes yourself!). Also of note is the twist-on/twist-off motor retainer, as Estes has been using in their 29mm kits. Nice to see one available in 24mm now! Finally, a close-up of the nose cone spin nozzles and boattail.

I don't anticipate painting in the "test article" scheme on the package. Hopefully somebody (are you reading this, Gordy?) will produce the "operational" type decals like the Maxi-Brute version had.....

OK, I did a test print, sorry that's what I have to do it now.
It came out great!

Here it is;

http://www.excelsiorrocketry.com/pr...?id_product=813

You guys just have to ask.

I can do the old black test round too if anybody asks.

http://sandmandecals.com/

Last edited by sandman : 07-18-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:01 PM
Level 3

Now I want two. LOL
Old 07-18-2015, 08:42 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Default Step 1

Step 1 involves removing the blisters on the boattail where the fins will attach, then sawing off the ends of the boattail. The plastic is pretty soft, so be careful. I sanded off the mold seam too. The soft plastic only needed 320-grit sandpaper to come clean. I think the light sanding should help paint adhesion later on as well. After this photo, I smoothed it out even more with 400-grit sandpaper.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  005.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  1.29 MB  
Old 07-18-2015, 08:52 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Default Step 2

Step 2 entails building up the fins. I hoped the fins would be wood cores with built-up cardstock to give the beveled shape (much like the Pro-Series Patriot or Astrobee 1500 by Saturn Press). Alas, the fins are just two pieces of 1/16" balsa glued flat to the 1/16" balsa core. The bevel must be sanded. NOT MY FORTE! I'm open to suggestions on how to achieve a clean bevel.

Anyway, I'm building up one side at a time, then letting the glue dry under the weight of bean-bag style scuba weights. (The weights pretty much cover the fins). This is enough for tonight. Jeffy Jeep would stop now for an IPA and a Scotch. I'll settle for a nice Pale Ale!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  006.JPG
Views: 131
Size:  1.10 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  006 - Copy.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  417.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  007.JPG
Views: 201
Size:  1.35 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  008.JPG
Views: 146
Size:  1.29 MB  
Old 07-18-2015, 09:02 PM
Flying since 1977

I would use a razor plane to get a rough airfoil, then use sanding block to obtain the final shape.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373