Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2021, 01:58 PM
Long time rocketeer since 1964

Default Musing some 1964 Roots

In 1964 I saw Centuri advertised in the ad section of a science magazine. I still have the catalog and the first box Centuri Engineering sent me my Lil Hercules and 3 engines in . My Lil Hercules took off so fast that my friend and I heard the sound but never saw the rocket after ignition. I found it after looking for 2 or 3 days. It was red.
Today I wished there was a much larger Lil Hercules upsized the way they did with the Estes Astron Streak and other models. With some effort it would be possible to clone it and up size it.. Included here is a picture of our launch field I took in the early 60s from up in a pine tree where we had made a little observation platform with some boards. The white spots , if visible here, were our launch areas where we had cleared weeds away. Today the area is covered with buildings and roads and what little field is left is posted because people tried to set up a little "tent city" there.
I can remember one day launching my Estes Astron X-Ray from this field. The wind caught it when the parachute opened and it drifted away never to be seen again by us. It is also the field from which we launched my Enerjet Aero Dart and I still have that to this day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  rocketry field.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  7.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  laser2.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  46.3 KB  
Old 01-04-2021, 02:11 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz1
In 1964 I saw Centuri advertised in the ad section of a science magazine. I still have the catalog and the first box Centuri Engineering sent me my Lil Hercules and 3 engines in . My Lil Hercules took off so fast that my friend and I heard the sound but never saw the rocket after ignition. I found it after looking for 2 or 3 days. It was red.
Today I wished there was a much larger Lil Hercules upsized the way they did with the Estes Astron Streak and other models. With some effort it would be possible to clone it and up size it.. Included here is a picture of our launch field I took in the early 60s from up in a pine tree where we had made a little observation platform with some boards. The white spots , if visible here, were our launch areas where we had cleared weeds away. Today the area is covered with buildings and roads and what little field is left is posted because people tried to set up a little "tent city" there.
I can remember one day launching my Estes Astron X-Ray from this field. The wind caught it when the parachute opened and it drifted away never to be seen again by us. It is also the field from which we launched my Enerjet Aero Dart and I still have that to this day.

Those are some great memories and photos; thanks for sharing them with us!

I have a couple of LOC 5.5 inch diameter tubes and 'stubby' LOC nose cones for them that I have had for years. I always thought they'd make a great Lil' Herc upscale. That would be almost a 7x upscale. Many people have done Estes Alpha upscales over the years, but I don't think I have ever seen anyone do a Lil' Herc upscale.

Any other vintage photos you can share?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-04-2021, 03:18 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I haven't seen or heard of a Lil' Herc upscale either
A 5.5" one would be really cool. G/H power would probably still result in a fairly low flight too.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-04-2021, 05:52 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Those are some great memories and photos; thanks for sharing them with us!

I have a couple of LOC 5.5 inch diameter tubes and 'stubby' LOC nose cones for them that I have had for years. I always thought they'd make a great Lil' Herc upscale. That would be almost a 7x upscale. Many people have done Estes Alpha upscales over the years, but I don't think I have ever seen anyone do a Lil' Herc upscale.

Any other vintage photos you can share?

Earl

I’ve got a 4’ piece of LOC 5.5 tubing, and the stubby nose cone, that I bought at our club swap meet for $10! I have been wondering what upscale would be worthy of consideration. I have another piece of the same LOC tube, about the same length, so there are plenty of possibilities.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 01-04-2021, 09:50 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz1

(snip)

It is also the field from which we launched my Enerjet Aero Dart and I still have that to this day.

Cool.

A real Enerjet Aero Dart.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:53 AM

Default Earl

I will post some pictures later today. They are old and maybe a little faded. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:55 AM

I will post a few old pictures later today. Thanks,
Old 01-05-2021, 06:57 AM

Please forgive my awkwardness as I am learning how to navigate this site. I will post some old pictures later today. Thanks for responding to my post.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:13 PM

Default 1971 in Florida sod field surrounded by sugar cane fields

Great launch site east of Lake Okeechobee back in 1971.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  rocketry3.JPG
Views: 54
Size:  47.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  rocketry1.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  43.4 KB  
Old 01-05-2021, 02:15 PM
Apollo Nut

Great pics! Any way you can make them larger? Looks like, I guess, you are making 'photos' of photos. Do you have a scanner? I suppose not. It would be great to see them in more detail.

The sod farm sites are WONDERFUL launch sites. Had one in south Georgia for a number of years that was just rocket flying heaven!

Which is you in that one photo?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970