Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2020, 12:20 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Might be selfish, but I have a major vacation planned/booked the first two weeks of May.
I hope it still gets to happen.

It’s not selfish. Life has to go on. We cannot let every businees collapse. We have an Alaska cruise booked for end of August. I’m starting to wonder if it will happen. We have managed to get old friends (5 couples total) from several states to join us. It has to happen!

Have you booked hotels? My daughter had planned to take family to Florida for upcoming Spring Break. She decided to cancel for understandable reasons, but hotel is stiffing her for the $3K. Quite compassionate, aren’t they? I’m not sure she has much of a defense, or case, especially in light of how contracts typically read.

We have tickets to see The Who in May, but that’ll likely get cancelled. It was already cancelled once, back in September, due to Roger Daltrey’s illness. We were offered refunds then, I’m pretty sure we will get rufunds if the cancellation happens.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-18-2020, 01:37 PM
Master Modeler

The TARC final (and all TARC activities) have been put on hold. I just canceled my flight, hotel and car yesterday. At least I've got until late December to use the money I already spent at Southwest Airlines for the TARC trip. I had booked the hotel with "free cancellation" as I've had to skip a planned TARC finals trip once before.

I am now wondering about the road trip to NSL (and the swing from there into NM to visit my 91-year-old Dad among others) which would have begun right after I got back from the TARC final.

Lee, I hope your cruise happens. That is a wonderful trip.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-18-2020, 01:45 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
My daughter had planned to take family to Florida for upcoming Spring Break. She decided to cancel for understandable reasons, but hotel is stiffing her for the $3K. Quite compassionate, aren’t they? I’m not sure she has much of a defense, or case, especially in light of how contracts typically read.

Ouch! That's quite a bit to get stiffed for!! Hopefully under the circumstances they will re-think their cancellation stipulations. It would seem, considering all we are going through, she would have a pretty decent argument on those grounds. At least I hope so.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-18-2020, 03:25 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Ouch! That's quite a bit to get stiffed for!! Hopefully under the circumstances they will re-think their cancellation stipulations. It would seem, considering all we are going through, she would have a pretty decent argument on those grounds. At least I hope so.

Earl

Assuming she paid with a credit card, that CC company most likely will withhold payment or deliver a refund based on nondelivered service. She should try that route. I've had success with this tactic when a vendor tries to screw me. Every time.

Allen
Old 03-18-2020, 03:35 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Might be selfish, but I have a major vacation planned/booked the first two weeks of May.
I hope it still gets to happen.

I'm booked to go down to Fort Myers Beach on 03/25.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-18-2020, 05:05 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I'm booked to go down to Fort Myers Beach on 03/25.

Scott,
The beaches are open. I'd been more concerned about the flights.

Fort Myers Beach plans for more patrol to enforce governor's executive order
The crowds are currently smaller than usual during spring break, but town leaders said the big groups gathering have to stop and they will be enforcing the new executive order.
Tuesday, March 17th 2020, 6:20 PM EDT by Meagan Miller, Reporter
Updated: Tuesday, March 17th 2020, 7:12 PM EDT

https://www.nbc-2.com/story/4190713...executive-order
NAR #83900
Old 03-18-2020, 06:16 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC

Lee, I hope your cruise happens. That is a wonderful trip.

Thanks Bernard. Sorry to hear abour the TARC cancellations/delays, but the immediate need to limit travel is prudent. Lets just hope we see a significant slowdown or turnaround in outbreaks in the next month or so, and get some normalcy back in a few months. I sure hope NSL happens. Looking forward to flying with you and others I’ve gotten to know online and at the national launches.

We heard back from our daughter. She got the hotel to let them move the booking to a “future” (open-ended) date, and she won’t lose the money. That’s certainly acceptable.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-18-2020, 07:13 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

We wisely booked our resort and flight with 100% refund travel insurance.
Really need the vacation to happen instead. We normally go in late January/ early February to our resort for a couple weeks, but decided to delay til May this year to save $2k
Boyyyyyy, was that a BADDDDDDD ideer.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-18-2020, 07:49 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bar
Scott,
The beaches are open. I'd been more concerned about the flights.

Fort Myers Beach plans for more patrol to enforce governor's executive order
The crowds are currently smaller than usual during spring break, but town leaders said the big groups gathering have to stop and they will be enforcing the new executive order.
Tuesday, March 17th 2020, 6:20 PM EDT by Meagan Miller, Reporter
Updated: Tuesday, March 17th 2020, 7:12 PM EDT

https://www.nbc-2.com/story/4190713...executive-order

This afternoon they closed the parks on the beach, the beach public access parking and commercial businesses on the beach. (By beach I mean businesses abutting/on the sand.) You can still walk on to the beach. My mom has a condo on FMB. I'm supposed to go down to help her close up to come back from season. My little sister is a Captain for American. I've got a pulse on any domestic travel ban that may be coming. I'm hearing rumblings of an FAA announcement tomorrow.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-27-2020, 08:14 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I posted this on March 12 from a reliable source at the time, but I cannot remember the exact source:

==================
“First, the numbers to date: More than 1,300 US cases were reported as of Thursday, with beachhead community outbreaks in Washington state, California, and New York. Cities like Atlanta, Miami, Boston, and Denver are reporting dozens of cases each. Total case numbers have grown at a rough average rate of 30% a day in the US since the last week of February.

At that rate, the US will have more than 8,000 cases by next week, 40,000 cases in two weeks, and nearly 150,000 cases by the end of the month.”
==================

While I have been ‘sober’ about this outbreak from the beginning, I did not really want to believe the severity of the math in the numbers presented above. In particular, the 30% rough average rate of increase per day.

That was just five days ago and sadly it seems, we ARE seeing that rough 30% increase in rates in the country. By about this Thursday the country will probably top 10,000 cases, and while we are beginning to make some social changes, those measures are going to take some time and EVERYBODY has to participate.

And for a while longer, that 30% rate will continue. So, by the time we have 10,000 cases, that will possibly mean 3000 more cases the day after that and just growing from there. See how the growth rates starts to get down right outrageous?

Do what YOU can to help stop or slow the spread...if not for you, then do it for others.

Earl

Well, I wish I could remember which article I quoted in this message from March 12th (and then quoted again a few days later), which now seems like 20 years ago....

At that time, we were starting to approach 10,000 cases, which we did hit. I did not really want to believe the rates, but one after another prediction has come true.

Sadly now as we start to eye that 150,000 figure, it does appear we are going to be pretty darn close to that by the end of the month, which is only four days away. But, we added about 18,000 cases today and about 17,000 yesterday. If those rates don’t flatten much in the next four days, we’ll hit 150,000 by March 31 no problem.

I was really hoping we would have some data at this point that would indicate *some* impact from the state-wide lockdowns and other social distancing efforts, but so far I have not *yet* seen them. Maybe soon. Surely these efforts have blunted this thing on some level; I’d just hate to see where we would be otherwise.

Be safe.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970