Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2019, 08:17 PM
Craftsman

Send a message via ICQ to Swillie
Default Madcow mini AGM-33 Pike

Just a couple pics I thought i’d share. Bought this 1.6 inch cardboard/wood kit and a larger fiberglass model on Black Friday. Used an Estes 29mm engine retainer I had already. This was a simple and fun kit, which I can fly at my local field safely. Still have to paint the tip silver and future shine but am trying to be more patient with my painting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  8DBB047A-5E40-49EE-A82F-7097EDF4ADD4.jpeg
Views: 57
Size:  806.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  206690CF-8DD7-41C8-9A7F-50B81C1F857D.jpeg
Views: 39
Size:  609.8 KB  
Old 12-29-2019, 08:23 PM
Craftsman

Default Nice work

Looks good. Did you do any "spiral filling" or just use a coat of primer?
Old 12-29-2019, 08:59 PM
Craftsman

Just 3 coats of primer sanding it down between coats. I filled the spirals one time ever on a rocket...maybe i’m just being lazy but felt it was too much work for what it’s worth, for me. I enjoy the builds, hate filling/sanding fins but it is worth the effort. Too much fuss becomes not fun for me. If someone has an easy tip for filling the spirals with a great result I might start doing it.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:38 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Using "Kilz" primer in 3 coats with sanding in between will fill spirals far better than regular lacquer primer.
It must be topcoated/finished with enamels and NOT lacquer or Dope.

I too find filling/sanding tube spirals a tedious and borderline WORTHLESS nuisance for something that is supposed to be a fun hobby.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 12-30-2019, 11:47 AM
Craftsman

Alright then, I will get some Kilz primer, seems if it fills better it will help with the whole finish, wood grain ect. too. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:00 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I like Rustoleum Filler-Primer. Dries fast, sands great. I lay it on heavy for the first few coats. If you get a run occasionally, no worries. Just sand them out. Put down extra along the spirals. Also, you must sand down until much of the primer is gone. That way you build up the spiral “valleys”. If you don’t sand down well, you are just laying on coats of primer that will still show the spirals. They will never seem to go away.

I only use the one pictured. I can not vouch for other Rustoleum primers. There are a lot! I find it at Walmart, in Automotive Dept., sometimes with paint, and often I order from Walmart.com, and have it shipped to store. Prices vary, but I’ve found it on sale for a little over $3 a can.

My favorite primer is Duplicolor, but it’s expensive. The Rustoleum is a good/cheap alternative.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  5D7FBDFD-D9A7-4559-BC9D-B2715C152C3C.jpeg
Views: 18
Size:  153.0 KB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 12-30-2019, 02:19 PM
Craftsman

I use Rusto primer and 2x for my top coats, so the Rusto Filler Primer sounds like another great tip that will work perfect with what i’m already doing. Thank you, I will look for that stuff when we shop there next!
Old 12-30-2019, 05:42 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swillie
I use Rusto primer and 2x for my top coats, so the Rusto Filler Primer sounds like another great tip that will work perfect with what i’m already doing. Thank you, I will look for that stuff when we shop there next!

I just checked Walmart.com, and it’s $4.49 a can, with free shipping to your store. That’s not too bad of a price, you just need to watch pricing. I’ve seen it go for a lot more per can, it just seems to vary. And, you might find it at your store, possibly priced even cheaper. When I see it for around $3 online, I buy 6 or more cans.

I mostly use Rustoleum 2X for all my color coats. I have not tried the 2X primer but may give it a try. My only issues with 2X have been with Gloss a White, I’ve had several cans shoot small lumps of paint, even after a warm water soak, and vigorous shaking. I returned them, gotten replacements, and they worked fine.

I have had excellent results with the Semi-Gloss and Flat Whites. The Semi-Gloss is glossy enough for applying decals without first using a gloss clear. On flat paints, I gloss clear coat, apply decals, then flat clear coat to restore the flat finish.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 01-13-2020, 11:04 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I like Rustoleum Filler-Primer. Dries fast, sands great. I lay it on heavy for the first few coats. If you get a run occasionally, no worries. Just sand them out. Put down extra along the spirals. Also, you must sand down until much of the primer is gone. That way you build up the spiral “valleys”. If you don’t sand down well, you are just laying on coats of primer that will still show the spirals. They will never seem to go away.

I only use the one pictured. I can not vouch for other Rustoleum primers. There are a lot! I find it at Walmart, in Automotive Dept., sometimes with paint, and often I order from Walmart.com, and have it shipped to store. Prices vary, but I’ve found it on sale for a little over $3 a can.

My favorite primer is Duplicolor, but it’s expensive. The Rustoleum is a good/cheap alternative.

Primed a couple rockets with the filler primer, sanding most of it down. Put down the first color...no spirals, worked like a charm!! I’m sold on this stuff now. Had to sand more than i used to but the result is worth the small effort.