Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2023, 12:55 PM
Craftsman

Default ....

Last edited by TigerHawk : 09-01-2023 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-10-2023, 01:25 PM
Model Rocket Fanatic

Kits Discontinued from 2022 catalog:
0652 Citation Patriot
0806 Firestreak SST
1329 Multi-Roc
1381 Yankee
2483 Phantom Blue
2492 Spirit
2495 Chiller
7237 Goblin
7241 Quinstar
7244 Indicator
7248 Supernova
7249 Expedition
7250 Twin Factor
7253 Explorer Aquarius
7255 Little Joe I
7257 Airborne Surveillance Missile
7260 Protostar
7263 Hex 3
7265 Space Crater
7266 Red Nova
7276 Checkmate
7279 Double Ringer
7280 Gryphon
7285 LEO Space Train
7287 Sidekick
7288 Solo
7289 Low Boom SST

New for the 2023 catalog:
2161 SpaceX Falcon 9
9722 So Long
9723 Black Brant XII
9724 Great Goblin

In total 27 rockets discontinued, 4 new rockets. And the catalog is 8 pages smaller.
No new motors, one new accessory, no new Designer's Series (probably over now that Bill Stine has retired).
Old 01-10-2023, 01:29 PM
Apollo Nut

Thanks for the catalog link.

I don't recall any past info about the Black Brant being released, unless I simply missed it. Looks like a decent scale kit.

Earl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Black Brant X!!.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  226.8 KB  
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-10-2023, 01:42 PM
Master Modeler

Not surprised to see the Explorer Aquarius and Protostar are gone. The parasite ring glider rockets were interesting but I never found them very appealing. I’m sure there’s going to be some ripples from the LJ going OOP again.

Estes slimmed down the line quite a bit which was mostly likely inevitable. Other than the Sidekick personally I won’t miss what’s been dropped and if you can live without the special plastic bits the Sidekick can be cloned - no special decals needed. What’s going to be interesting is what’s coming next - when will we see a C5-0 booster or the new high-test 24mms?

NAR #102949/L1
Old 01-10-2023, 01:43 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk
John Langford talked about it at one of the past NAR events.

Do you recall any specifics on a release date other than the catalog "later this year" statement?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-10-2023, 01:54 PM
Master Modeler

Wow, that’s a bunch of discontinued models, including some of my favorites. I will need to see how many Checkmates I have on hand. I tend to wear them out (my current flyer is my third one). Three other two-stage models, Multi-Roc, Supernova and Twin Factor, also gone. Kind of odd, that.

I wish the Swift 220 would go away. It does NOT “flutter” down as shown in this new catalog. It comes in ballistically every time and with that sharp nose cone it could be painful. The Mosquito at least has a nice rounded nose.

Interesting to see the Great Planes Easy Touch sander come back as an Estes product, and in a length in between the two smaller Easy Touches (which have been directly reincarnated by DuBro).

I’m kind of disappointed at all the drops. Some aren’t surprising (Protostar was really a SPEV of sorts, for example). And as much as they’re despised by some, the ARFs, especially the BT-50-based ones, are good flyers. Only the Ghost Chaser remains. I’m also surprised to see both ring glider models get the axe.

I don’t think I’ll be jumping on the Great Goblin bandwagon, but I expect that one will do well. I will have to get a So Long or two once they hit AC Supply. It was a surprise to see that one on the front cover.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 01-10-2023, 02:22 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
Not surprised to see the Explorer Aquarius and Protostar are gone. The parasite ring glider rockets were interesting but I never found them very appealing. I’m sure there’s going to be some ripples from the LJ going OOP again.

Estes slimmed down the line quite a bit which was mostly likely inevitable. Other than the Sidekick personally I won’t miss what’s been dropped and if you can live without the special plastic bits the Sidekick can be cloned - no special decals needed. What’s going to be interesting is what’s coming next - when will we see a C5-0 booster or the new high-test 24mms?

I agree slimming down of the line made sense.

The Sidekick doesn’t have any special plastic bits. The only plastic parts are the nose cones and the 18mm motor retainers. The rings that hold the tubes side-by-side are paper centering ring stock. It is an interesting model.

And I agree wholeheartedly on the C5-0 and the E57 (or whatever it will be).

added: For some reason, I have two Protostars in the stash. I will likely never get to them, so if someone wants one for a reasonable price, let me know.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 01-10-2023, 02:42 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Wow, that’s a bunch of discontinued models, including some of my favorites. I will need to see how many Checkmates I have on hand. I tend to wear them out (my current flyer is my third one). Three other two-stage models, Multi-Roc, Supernova and Twin Factor, also gone. Kind of odd, that.

I wish the Swift 220 would go away. It does NOT “flutter” down as shown in this new catalog. It comes in ballistically every time and with that sharp nose cone it could be painful. The Mosquito at least has a nice rounded nose.

Interesting to see the Great Planes Easy Touch sander come back as an Estes product, and in a length in between the two smaller Easy Touches (which have been directly reincarnated by DuBro).

I’m kind of disappointed at all the drops. Some aren’t surprising (Protostar was really a SPEV of sorts, for example). And as much as they’re despised by some, the ARFs, especially the BT-50-based ones, are good flyers. Only the Ghost Chaser remains. I’m also surprised to see both ring glider models get the axe.

I don’t think I’ll be jumping on the Great Goblin bandwagon, but I expect that one will do well. I will have to get a So Long or two once they hit AC Supply. It was a surprise to see that one on the front cover.

Cutting back on the two-stagers and smaller payloaders isn’t something I’d have guessed was coming. I’m willing to bet it was strictly a sales numbers thing. Doesn’t make it easier to take though.

The So Long should be a very flexible rocket - I did a quick and dirty sim in OR and if it ends up being close to what I assumed we’re getting a two-stage payloader that, with adapters, can fly on just about every reasonable combo of booster/sustainer motors Estes makes. The C11-0/D12-5 with a 3oz payload gets you to 550 feet with just under 35 ft/sec off the rod. Is it cover model worthy? Out of what new stuff they included in the catalog it’s about the only choice, the Great Goblin really isn’t a cover girl.

NAR #102949/L1
Old 01-10-2023, 06:39 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I'm surprised to see so many discontinued but there's still a good selection.
My hopefuls didn't come back(V2 and Omega). And the BBZ is just a pipe dream.

guess I'll pick up a Citation Patriot while there's stock.
Old 01-10-2023, 06:45 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley
I'm surprised to see so many discontinued but there's still a good selection.
My hopefuls didn't come back(V2 and Omega). And the BBZ is just a pipe dream.

guess I'll pick up a Citation Patriot while there's stock.

eRockets has the Semroc repro decals for the BBZ - makes for a pretty straightforward clone.

Estes hasn’t had a V-2 in the catalog for a long time, it was on my short list for a possible scale bring back.

NAR #102949/L1