Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Default 'Splain somthin' to me.....

Why is a Baby Bertha kit, with a B60 tube, 4 fins and a PNC60-L (or M or whatever they call it these days) $7.49, while an Alpha kit with a BT50, 3 fins and a PNC-50k $11.79? How does Estes come up with such whacked pricing? Inquiring minds want to know!

Sean
Old 03-05-2006, 05:47 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Why is a Baby Bertha kit, with a B60 tube, 4 fins and a PNC60-L (or M or whatever they call it these days) $7.49, while an Alpha kit with a BT50, 3 fins and a PNC-50k $11.79? How does Estes come up with such whacked pricing? Inquiring minds want to know!

Sean

Maybe because the Baby Bertha is aimed more at the Wal-Mart type of crowd and the Alpha is more of a classic recognized by people like us.
Couldn't tell you the last time I bought an Alpha, but I've bought a ton of Baby Bertha's. What's that make me?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 03-05-2006, 06:40 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Maybe because the Baby Bertha is aimed more at the Wal-Mart type of crowd and the Alpha is more of a classic recognized by people like us.
Couldn't tell you the last time I bought an Alpha, but I've bought a ton of Baby Bertha's. What's that make me?

Umm, a Big Baby?
Old 03-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Retired Missile Technician

I know the secret!!! Lean closer to the screen and I will whisper it in your ear. Closer. Closer!

Greed!

Seriously, the Alpha Trey was introduced many moons ago. So every time that Estes raised their prices by "X" amount, the Alpha III price went up. The Baby Bertha is a more recent addition and will incured price increases based on how long it remains in the production line. Manufactures are not going to reduce prices on a kit when they make 10K at a time, because material and labor prices increase regardless of what our incomes do. Hence, if a kit remains in production from year "x" and there are "y" price increases, well heck, do the math!

Chas
Old 03-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
I think Bill and Chas are on the right track. In my business, we call it "meet comp" pricing for meeting the competition. In this case, estes has had to price the Baby Bertha to meet market expectations. My guess, besides needing to meet the WalMart Launchables price metric of ~$8, is that the Quest Full Moon, at ~$7.50 at Hobby Lobby, is also a factor.

Furthermore, the Baby Bertha can be positioned as a lower cost alternative to the Big Betty without having to bomb the price of the regular Big bertha. That may explain why the higher priced Big Bertha isn't seen at Hobby Lobby or WalMart. And it lets dedicated hobby shops carry the Big Bertha at a more comfortable margin without getting squeezed by the discount stores.

Doug
Just throwing out some more ideas...
Old 03-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Master Modeler

I'm more mystified by the price differences between kits by QModelling and Pimp Daddy.

How is it that the MRS Vega kit cost $10 LESS than the MRS Hawkeye. The Vega has at least 2 times the parts count.

AT PDR, the new Cherokee D is $21.95 but the SS Cassiopeia and Atlantis are only $19.95 each?

Odd.

Romie
Old 03-06-2006, 04:26 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
I'm more mystified by the price differences between kits by QModelling and Pimp Daddy.

How is it that the MRS Vega kit cost $10 LESS than the MRS Hawkeye. The Vega has at least 2 times the parts count.

AT PDR, the new Cherokee D is $21.95 but the SS Cassiopeia and Atlantis are only $19.95 each?

Odd.

Romie

A little. The only QModeling kit I've built has been the Rogue. Great kit. Incredibly well planned out and engineered. If I could afford to build more of them I would.
As far as the PDR kits, the only complaint that I've had has been the lack of updated materials. I'd like to see them include Kevlar as a part of the kits. They seem to be introducing improvements in a steady manner, so I'm hoping to see this one soon.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 03-06-2006, 08:07 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Gotta agree with Bill on the Kevlar issue with the PDR kits.
They have upgraded all of their decals to Alps-printed water-slide, which is a vast imrovement over the original decals they used to supply with their kits.
The only real complaint that I have at all regarding PDR kits is in relation to recovery systems.....I have permanently shied away from mylar chutes and no-kevlar recovery systems.
I modified all my PDR kits with kevlar recovery straps attached to the thrust-ring as well as use nothing but Thrustline nylon chutes for recovery (excepting streamer-equipped rockets)

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !