Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > 3D Printing Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2019, 08:39 PM
Master Modeler

Default Tip for Boyce Aerospace 3D Saturn models

Right off the bat, the reason I am starting this thread is to get anyone and everyone to help each other in building these new and different made model rockets. The reason I call them different made rockets is that there are no balsa fins and in some cases very little paper tubes to build the rocket with. They are made with plastic filament melted together to form the shape and detail of the rockets. In my thinking, this is a rather new way to produce a model rocket. Not too many companies are using this process right now.

I have been buying kits from Boyce-Aerospace Hobbies for a few years. The first kits I bought from them was the Micro Saturns kits in 2016. Next came Nike Hercule and two Cox Saturn 1Bs. I got good flights from all of them, but the painting and finishing were the hardest things to get done on them. As time has gone on I have gotten better at finishing but I still find things to help me out. The one thing I can tell you is these models take some time and a lot of sanding to get a decent look. So I thought as more people start to build these 3D created rockets that we could post tip and tricks on building, painting, and finishing these kits here in one thread. (Please if you have a criticism of these kits start a thread of your own not on this thread. Thank you.)

So I will start things off with my first tip. After receiving your kit start by taking sandpaper and clean up the model. Sand rough spots. There are some small string and little bumps of plastic that need to be removed. Just a basic clean up before putting that first coat of primer.

Tip two, primer model with WHITE primer. I have learned the hard way GRAY primer is a lot harder to cover over and if the final paint job gets scratched the gray will show through badly.

Tip three, this has to do with the Saturn Models. After you cut the tank tubes take the leftover pieces and use them to make covers to place on the tube mounts on the Fin Can and Lower Transition to protect them from overspray of primer. When I'm sanding the Fin Can or Lower Transition I remove one cover at a time to let me know what part of the Fin Can I have sanded. I do the same with the Lower Transition.

Last tip for now. I have found these little sanding sticks at Hobby Lobby. They work great for sanding small area of the Fin Can and of course Lower Transition. Small metal files help out a lot as well.

Enough for now. If anyone has anything to add please do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  SA-102.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  120.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SA-109.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  112.6 KB