Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Master Modeler

Default Centuri DOM Psudo X-Wing Fighter

Centuri DOM Psudo X-Wing Fighter.

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...igncontest.html

Centuri combined three different DOM's(Three DOM Winners) to make this rocket.
One winner was from Sharon, MA. I wonder if any of the winners still fly rockets?

Anyone try this one?
Old 02-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Apollo Nut

I remember getting this issue.....it was before I had even seen the movie at the time (I don't think we kids saw it till late the year of '77......like maybe November).

This was before Estes had released their Star Wars kits, so I thought this design not a bad 'take' on the X-Wing at the time.

Never took a stab at this one myself though.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 02-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
Centuri DOM Psudo X-Wing Fighter.

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...igncontest.html

Centuri combined three different DOM's(Three DOM Winners) to make this rocket.
One winner was from Sharon, MA. I wonder if any of the winners still fly rockets?

Anyone try this one?
Hmmm...this design could be the grist for some retcon (retro-active continuity) in Star Wars fanfic (fan-written stories). The Centuri model could be a nuclear bomb-containing "near-kamikaze" version of the X-Wing fighter used for strikes against very high-priority targets, with the pilot ejecting (or being teleported out of the vehicle) before impact/detonation.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 02-03-2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:16 AM
Master Modeler

Default Better open some windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Hmmm...this design could be the grist for some retcon (retro-active continuity) in Star Wars fanfic (fan-written stories). The Centuri model could be a nuclear bomb-containing "near-kamikaze" version of the X-Wing fighter used for strikes against very high-priority targets, with the pilot ejecting (or being teleported out of the vehicle) before impact/detonation.

Hey Buddy,

Better open some windows, the fumes are starting to make you hallucinate!

BTW, Why fly when you can teleport the bomb instead?
Old 02-04-2012, 04:02 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I remember getting this issue.....it was before I had even seen the movie at the time (I don't think we kids saw it till late the year of '77......like maybe November).

This was before Estes had released their Star Wars kits, so I thought this design not a bad 'take' on the X-Wing at the time.

Never took a stab at this one myself though.

Earl

This was my first Centuri catalog. I hadn't seen the movie at this point, and wouldn't until some neighbors took us for helping push their car up the hill and dig out a parking place after one of early 1978's frequent snowstorms. Yeah, as usual, I was WAY behind the curve. Always thought the Centuri DOM X-Wing design was cool, to the point that the Estes version really didn't strike me as "quite right" when I saw it. I was just thinking about it again last week, wondering if it was time to actually try building it for my nephew.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 02-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
Hey Buddy,

Better open some windows, the fumes are starting to make you hallucinate!

BTW, Why fly when you can teleport the bomb instead?

Duh. Teleportation shields on high value targets.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 02-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
Duh. Teleportation shields on high value targets.
** Thank You ** Actually, I was inspired with the nuclear bomb-armed X-Wing idea by an article that appeared in the NAR magazine "Sport Rocketry" (it might have still been under its previous name "American Spacemodeler" [or "American Spacemodeling"]) in the 1990s. A group of two or three model rocketeers who were also avid Star Trek fans had developed a series of models of the KKDC ("Klingon Kamikaze Death Cruiser"), a fanfic design that carried a nuclear warhead powerful enough to destroy an entire planet. The flying models of the KKDC designs used three 18 mm motors, with the two outboard motors mounted far out on the models' wings.
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 02-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
** Thank You ** Actually, I was inspired with the nuclear bomb-armed X-Wing idea by an article that appeared in the NAR magazine "Sport Rocketry" (it might have still been under its previous name "American Spacemodeler" [or "American Spacemodeling"]) in the 1990s. A group of two or three model rocketeers who were also avid Star Trek fans had developed a series of models of the KKDC ("Klingon Kamikaze Death Cruiser"), a fanfic design that carried a nuclear warhead powerful enough to destroy an entire planet. The flying models of the KKDC designs used three 18 mm motors, with the two outboard motors mounted far out on the models' wings.

Uhm... I'm gonna show my Trek Nerdiness level here (I WAS one of the main design team for FASA's Star Trek: The Role Playing Game, so I guess I'm qualified ), but why would you need to build a nuclear warhead into a ship that has matter/antimatter reaction for the drive - If you were to shunt all the anitmatter into the matter (or just release the magnetic bottle, for that matter), the resulting explosion would be orders of magnitude above any thermonuclear reaction. Just sayin'

Greg
Old 02-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
Uhm... I'm gonna show my Trek Nerdiness level here (I WAS one of the main design team for FASA's Star Trek: The Role Playing Game, so I guess I'm qualified ), but why would you need to build a nuclear warhead into a ship that has matter/antimatter reaction for the drive - If you were to shunt all the anitmatter into the matter (or just release the magnetic bottle, for that matter), the resulting explosion would be orders of magnitude above any thermonuclear reaction. Just sayin'

Greg
Nerdiness level duly noted! In the book "Mirror Matter," the late physicist and science fiction writer Dr. Robert Forward and his co-author Joel Davis pointed out that, although it is counter-intuitive, a matter/antimatter bomb would not have the blast effect that one would think. Since virtually all of the bomb's mass would be converted into energy, it would have almost no "reaction mass" to destroy anything via physical blast effects; it would be more akin to an enhanced X-Ray emitting nuclear warhead of the type used in the early ABMs. The ABM warheads were designed to kill incoming ICBM warheads by frying their electronics with radiation more than physically destroying the enemy warheads with physical blast effects. A thermonuclear warhead (in which only a small fraction of the bomb's mass is converted into energy) gives more "bang for the buck" than a matter/antimatter bomb. That is also why matter/antimatter rocket designs call for only a few grams or (at most) kilograms of antimatter, to annihilate equivalent masses or matter; the tremendous radiation flux from the reaction heats the remainder (tons or tens of tons) of the ordinary matter propellant to tremendously high temperatures, which yields very high exhaust velocities.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 02-04-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: This ol' hoss done had to correct a typo.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:33 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein

Greg

Yeah, especially since a nuclear explosion =~2% matter to energy conversion efficiency, and an antimatter reaction = 100% matter to energy conversion...

Later! OL JR