Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-13-2020, 04:20 PM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 9,301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
I've not heard of John Butcher Axis.


Yes, at least earlier in his career he was a Hendrix wannabe, even adding the "Axis" name from Hendrix's album. I think he moved a little toward mainstream, at least for a while. His stuff didn't jump up and grab me like some others with heavy Hendrix influences.

A great example of Hendrix influence that did grab hold of me was a kid from Memphis in the late 80s'. He was 15 or 16 the first time I saw him and he could play the crap out of his guitar. He was a lefty and not only played it upside down like Hendrix, but he left it strung for a right-hander so the strings were upside down, like Doyle Bramhall (listen to him sometime too). Hendrix's guitars were strung correctly for a lefty. The kid's name was Eric Gales and he took the Memphis and Nashville circuits by storm for a short period, then seemed to disappear. I remember him on Arsenio Hall's show when he was 18 or 19 and then nothing. I think he had some mental health issues. I saw him pop up again a year or two ago playing with Joe Bonamassa. He can still play.


As for my first Rush show, it was Oct 29, 1984 in Nashvegas and the opening band was Fastway. Their guitarist was "Fast" Eddie Clark, previously with Motorhead. I have no recollection of who else was in the band. They had one hit single, "Say What You Will", when I was still in high school. He wasn't too fast cause I could play that song at one time...and I ain't fast. lol
__________________
I love sanding.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-13-2020, 05:06 PM
A Fish Named Wallyum's Avatar
A Fish Named Wallyum A Fish Named Wallyum is offline
BP Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 7,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Yes, at least earlier in his career he was a Hendrix wannabe, even adding the "Axis" name from Hendrix's album. I think he moved a little toward mainstream, at least for a while. His stuff didn't jump up and grab me like some others with heavy Hendrix influences.

A great example of Hendrix influence that did grab hold of me was a kid from Memphis in the late 80s'. He was 15 or 16 the first time I saw him and he could play the crap out of his guitar. He was a lefty and not only played it upside down like Hendrix, but he left it strung for a right-hander so the strings were upside down, like Doyle Bramhall (listen to him sometime too). Hendrix's guitars were strung correctly for a lefty. The kid's name was Eric Gales and he took the Memphis and Nashville circuits by storm for a short period, then seemed to disappear. I remember him on Arsenio Hall's show when he was 18 or 19 and then nothing. I think he had some mental health issues. I saw him pop up again a year or two ago playing with Joe Bonamassa. He can still play.


As for my first Rush show, it was Oct 29, 1984 in Nashvegas and the opening band was Fastway. Their guitarist was "Fast" Eddie Clark, previously with Motorhead. I have no recollection of who else was in the band. They had one hit single, "Say What You Will", when I was still in high school. He wasn't too fast cause I could play that song at one time...and I ain't fast. lol


Fastway was "Fast" Eddie Clark and Pete Way, the bassist from UFO. I don't think Pete lasted long. I do remember "Say What You Will" and it might be on my Walkman as we type.
__________________
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes Honest John, PemTech Kraken, Semroc Egg Crate, Semroc S.P.E.V

Rediscovered: Semroc Laser X, Semroc SLS Laser X

In paint: Centuri Stellar Hercules, Estes Monarch, Estes Nike Apache, Estes Sky Warrior, Semroc Squire

Body shop: Estes Jayhawk, TLP Perseus

Ready to fly: Centuri Zebra II, Estes Alpha, Estes Astron Farside X, Estes Astron Apogee, FRW Star Jart, Semroc Point
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-13-2020, 05:55 PM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is offline
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,475
Default

Bill-
Did your Duster have the "goes nowhere fast 318" or was it something more formidable ?
I drove a 500+hp 460-powered Thunderbird all through college. It had 11.5/1 pistons and a big cam. Had to run 5 gallons of AV100LL mixed with 21 gal of pump 93.
Air shocks, 295/50/15 tires, and a Traction-Lok 9" rear axle. Big Holley 800 cfm double-pumper and a hi-rise Edelbrock intake.
That thing stopped for nothing but gas stations.
Used to whip Buick Grand Nationals with it.
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and DITCH the brake !!!
No DIRECT and MEASURABLE Harm=NO Foul advocate

If you are NOT FLYING LOW in the left lane, you need to GET THE #$&@ OUT of it !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask, you probably aren't
!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-13-2020, 08:28 PM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 9,301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Fastway was "Fast" Eddie Clark and Pete Way, the bassist from UFO. I don't think Pete lasted long. I do remember "Say What You Will" and it might be on my Walkman as we type.

Ah, yes. I tend to remember guitarists better than bassists. Michael Shenker was the most lauded of several of their guitarists.
__________________
I love sanding.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-14-2020, 06:02 AM
A Fish Named Wallyum's Avatar
A Fish Named Wallyum A Fish Named Wallyum is offline
BP Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 7,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Ah, yes. I tend to remember guitarists better than bassists. Michael Shenker was the most lauded of several of their guitarists.

Pete was "colorful". Kind of a poor man's Keith Richards. My BIL and I saw UFO ten years ago in an old nightclub in Akron. One of those places with velvet covering the walls and individual tables. Very late-50's.
__________________
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes Honest John, PemTech Kraken, Semroc Egg Crate, Semroc S.P.E.V

Rediscovered: Semroc Laser X, Semroc SLS Laser X

In paint: Centuri Stellar Hercules, Estes Monarch, Estes Nike Apache, Estes Sky Warrior, Semroc Squire

Body shop: Estes Jayhawk, TLP Perseus

Ready to fly: Centuri Zebra II, Estes Alpha, Estes Astron Farside X, Estes Astron Apogee, FRW Star Jart, Semroc Point
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-14-2020, 06:03 AM
A Fish Named Wallyum's Avatar
A Fish Named Wallyum A Fish Named Wallyum is offline
BP Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 7,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Bill-
Did your Duster have the "goes nowhere fast 318" or was it something more formidable ?
I drove a 500+hp 460-powered Thunderbird all through college. It had 11.5/1 pistons and a big cam. Had to run 5 gallons of AV100LL mixed with 21 gal of pump 93.
Air shocks, 295/50/15 tires, and a Traction-Lok 9" rear axle. Big Holley 800 cfm double-pumper and a hi-rise Edelbrock intake.
That thing stopped for nothing but gas stations.
Used to whip Buick Grand Nationals with it.

Plain Jane 318. No sack to speak of, but it sure bellowed like a prehistoric beast.
__________________
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes Honest John, PemTech Kraken, Semroc Egg Crate, Semroc S.P.E.V

Rediscovered: Semroc Laser X, Semroc SLS Laser X

In paint: Centuri Stellar Hercules, Estes Monarch, Estes Nike Apache, Estes Sky Warrior, Semroc Squire

Body shop: Estes Jayhawk, TLP Perseus

Ready to fly: Centuri Zebra II, Estes Alpha, Estes Astron Farside X, Estes Astron Apogee, FRW Star Jart, Semroc Point
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-14-2020, 06:05 AM
A Fish Named Wallyum's Avatar
A Fish Named Wallyum A Fish Named Wallyum is offline
BP Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 7,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Ah, yes. I tend to remember guitarists better than bassists. Michael Shenker was the most lauded of several of their guitarists.

I looked it up last night. Pete Way couldn't get out of the contract that he signed with Chrysalis, so he was gone before the album got started. Jerry Shirley of Humble Pie and Natural Gas was the drummer.
__________________
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes Honest John, PemTech Kraken, Semroc Egg Crate, Semroc S.P.E.V

Rediscovered: Semroc Laser X, Semroc SLS Laser X

In paint: Centuri Stellar Hercules, Estes Monarch, Estes Nike Apache, Estes Sky Warrior, Semroc Squire

Body shop: Estes Jayhawk, TLP Perseus

Ready to fly: Centuri Zebra II, Estes Alpha, Estes Astron Farside X, Estes Astron Apogee, FRW Star Jart, Semroc Point
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-14-2020, 07:14 PM
dlazarus6660's Avatar
dlazarus6660 dlazarus6660 is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Mitten State!
Posts: 3,597
Default

This post brought back some memories.
From January to June 1980, I got to see and hear some rock bands from the 60's and 70's that were on their way down from their heyday.
JBA was one of them, a young Johnny Cougar, Melissa Ethridge (up and coming acts)and The Marshall Tucker Band to name a few.
What was cool was it was $10 a ticket and. you got to meet the whole band.
Never got pics or autographs but it was nice to meet these people.
Those were the days!
__________________
If it flies, I can crash it!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2020