Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 05:52 AM
Addicted Collector.. now Rockets

Default Help with K-45 Beta Descriptions

Adding K-45 Beta kit to Estes kit database and pictorial guide.

Research results appear confusing and would appreciate inputs. Here is what is known so far.

1. In Estes catalog years 1970-1971 and priced at $1.50
2. Recent ebay lot with yellow double oval hang tag and blue two panel facecard with printed $1.35 pricing
3. Checking Mojo1986 database shows appearance of kit with pre Damon yellow hangtag

Thanks in advance for forum insight

Last edited by gerryfortin : 06-20-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:11 AM

The silence demonstrates the research difficulties with several of the early Estes kits.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Gerry, I lost all of my auction photos a year or so ago in a computer crash. Have been told that it would cost a fortune to retrieve the info from the old hard drive (which I still have) so I won't be doing that. As a result, I will have difficulty helping you out on this one.

Joe
Old 06-23-2012, 07:28 AM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Gerry, I lost all of my auction photos a year or so ago in a computer crash. Have been told that it would cost a fortune to retrieve the info from the old hard drive (which I still have) so I won't be doing that. As a result, I will have difficulty helping you out on this one.

Joe

It may not cost a small fortune - was the crash due to a crashed and trashed drive or due to damaged information in the boot sectors? If the latter, you can probably put the drive in an external drive case, plug it into a USB port and open it as a non-boot drive on another computer. I keep a spare drive case around just for such a purpose. It is always worth a try. Unless the head has actually crashed into the platter, the electrics of the drive are totally fried or the head and/or drive mechechanism is completely frozen up, you may be able to get some data out of there.

Greg
Old 06-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Greg, thanks for your advice. I'm afraid those instructions are beyond my capabilities. If there is anyone on the forum who, in the interests of preserving vintage model rocketry information, wants to give it a try, I can mail the hard drive to them.

Joe
Old 06-23-2012, 11:58 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryfortin
Adding K-45 Beta kit to Estes kit database and pictorial guide.

Research results appear confusing and would appreciate inputs. Here is what is known so far.

1. In Estes catalog years 1970-1971 and priced at $1.50
2. Recent ebay lot with yellow double oval hang tag and blue two panel facecard with printed $1.35 pricing
3. Checking Mojo1986 database shows appearance of kit with pre Damon yellow hangtag

Thanks in advance for forum insight

I have 2 of these kits. The one I can find at the moment matches #2 above.
If and/or when the other kit turns up, I'll let you know - It may be earlier.

S.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:02 AM

SEL, thank you for the input. Hope the other kit is earlier as would be helpful to explain Joe's pre Damon yellow hang tag observation.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryfortin
SEL, thank you for the input. Hope the other kit is earlier as would be helpful to explain Joe's pre Damon yellow hang tag observation.

If I remember correctly, the Beta was first made available through a MRN flyer,
though I may be confusing it with the original Starblazer. That could explain the pre Damon tag.

S.