Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Rock-a-Chute

Hello Rocket Expert(s)!

I was only a casual Estes rocket builder as a kid, but now my kids are getting into it as well and we're having a great time, dusting off some of my old rockets (and building new ones of course...

My question is: I found a dozen or so old unused Rock-A-Chute motors (engines?) in a box in my dad's garage. I assume they have some collector value to someone...I'd be happy to see them in the hands of someone who appreciates them. I'm assuming I should not use them, and I don't really have any interest in collecting them. I'm also not quite sure how I'd ship them to anyone who wants to buy them (or just have them). Any suggestions?

You may e-mail me at joeweismann@gmail.com if you have any ideas. Thanks!

--J
Old 09-23-2007, 11:53 PM
Master Modeler

First off welcome to YORF! You have a pretty good find there with those motors from what I understand! Yes, they are collectibles-not sure what type of 'value' they would bring tho..Am sure a lot of fellas on here would want them..With that I welcome you again to YORF..I am sure someone more knowledgeable will pipe up about you shipping them..If you can it would have to be by 'ground' - that much I DO know...lol
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 09-24-2007, 12:46 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weismann
Hello Rocket Expert(s)!

I was only a casual Estes rocket builder as a kid, but now my kids are getting into it as well and we're having a great time, dusting off some of my old rockets (and building new ones of course...

My question is: I found a dozen or so old unused Rock-A-Chute motors (engines?) in a box in my dad's garage. I assume they have some collector value to someone...I'd be happy to see them in the hands of someone who appreciates them. I'm assuming I should not use them, and I don't really have any interest in collecting them. I'm also not quite sure how I'd ship them to anyone who wants to buy them (or just have them). Any suggestions?

You may e-mail me at joeweismann@gmail.com if you have any ideas. Thanks!

--J

First of all, welcome!

Rock-a-Chutes should be valuable to a collector, but I guess it depends on the age of the box and who made it: whether they were made by Brown Manufacturing, or whether they were pre-Estes Industries motors made by Vern Estes in Denver or whether they were made by Estes Industries after the move to Penrose.

I have a box of A4 Rock-a-Chutes, definitely not Brown Manufacturing, and a couple of months ago at NARAM I asked Vern and Gleda Estes when they thought they might have been made. Vern said he didn't know if he'd be able to tell even if he saw the motors, and that they could've been made as late as '68 (though I think Model Missiles went out of business in '65). Mine look like Estes motors from the mid-60's but the casing material has a different texture. The packaging looks to me like it should be from the early 60's, and the address on the instructions uses the old Zone (not Zip) addressing.

In any case, if you can, post pictures of the box and motors, and if not, describe them as well as possible. I'm sure there are a couple of collectors here who would know their value.

Shipping them to a collector can be problematic, as you have to be an approved shipper (i.e. Estes or Quest, or one of their distributors, etc), or have appropriate documentation from an approved shipper (for instance, if you were sending some motors back to Estes).
Old 09-24-2007, 05:38 AM
Master Modeler

I have six rock-a-chute motors that have no power designation on them and just say upper stage.

I showed these to Vern who stated that they were made in Denver by Vern, and one way to tell, the motors have the distinct "Estes bans" around each end (circular).

Just like anything else, sometimes it's hard to tell the exact manufacturing date, especially if the time period is long.
For kits, you can get a basic time period if the package "Damon".
Old 09-24-2007, 07:06 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
I have six rock-a-chute motors that have no power designation on them and just say upper stage.

I showed these to Vern who stated that they were made in Denver by Vern, and one way to tell, the motors have the distinct "Estes bans" around each end (circular).

Yep, mine have the "Estes bands" but they also do have the power letter and delay, so mine were probably made later than yours, but I suspect not much later.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:30 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Yep, mine have the "Estes bands" but they also do have the power letter and delay, so mine were probably made later than yours, but I suspect not much later.

Vern had sent to me a chart giving the power designation of rock-a-chute motors. This chart was compiled by G Harry Stine, I think the chart can be found in the early Handbook of Model Rocketry.
I was surprused that my motors didn't have any power markings.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:00 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Rock-a-Chute motors

I'll try to post some pics...not sure how to do that here. Anyway, if it turns out anyone wants them, and can figure out how to ship them, I'd be happy to send them off to an appreciative collector! They do have power markings, various colors and yes, they look much like Estes engines.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weismann
I'll try to post some pics...not sure how to do that here. Anyway, if it turns out anyone wants them, and can figure out how to ship them, I'd be happy to send them off to an appreciative collector! They do have power markings, various colors and yes, they look much like Estes engines.

Where do you live? If close, I'll make the trip...
Old 09-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Launching since 1970.

They should be extremely valuable.

Where are you located? That information is useful for those who might want to drive over and pick them up (after handing you a wad of cash).
Old 09-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default I'm in Minneapolis

I'd be happy to hand them off to anyone as well...but even if you were travelling my way, you probably couldn't fly with them, right?

Is there an easy way to post a picture up on this forum? Sorry, I'm a novice at this stuff...