Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Miller
Roger T., the one thing that no one has told you is you should do some research.
Don't just list these kits, but first look at some other auctions and see how the items were
listed, the length of the auctions, starting price, even consider the day and time the auction will end. I could not bid on an item and it sold for a lot less than I would have bid,
because I was at work and was to busy . I can hear the snarling and mashing of teeth.
A guy I know from Palm Beach Florida just sold a large collection of Centuri kits on Ebay,
and there have been some of the earlier Centuri kits posted from time to time.

I Love Centuri Model Rockets, My first was a Javelin way back in 1966.
If you sell them good luck to you.

Neil,

My first rocket was a Centuri Micron. I still remember cutting out the mail-in coupon from a Dracula comic book back in the very early 70's. I waited 4 weeks (today most would file a complaint with paypal or the BBB) for the box to arrive... was hooked ever since!

I found the Centuri kits to be harder to assemble than the Estes and after a while, I just chose Estes kits because I could get them assembled and into the air faster.

See, the economy isn't effecting model rocket sells because the people who are bidding on ebay are [mostly] employed, have high-tech related jobs in the high 5 figure 6 figure range.

Think about it, who can afford anything today? Answer: People with HIGH paying jobs. Where are the high paying jobs? Are they in garbage collecting? Are they in FEDEX/UPS deliveries? Are they bus drivers or office managers? Nope, the jobs paying incomes where people can buy lavishly are in areas that were spurned by the space age some 40 years ago.

Is it ANY wonder that many of the people on here are engineers, computer techs, technology freaks, middle-old age nerds? No.

My first electrical schematic was that of a Centuri launcher. My first understanding of a resistor and its use to produce heat was that of a model rocket igniter. Squibs to those who fly the professional stuff.

Also, during the Great Depression, only 1 in 4 work capable Americans were out of a job. If you had a job, things really weren't that bad. Not to go political, but the current economic issues in America are artificially produced. The current administration is deliberately making the situation worse so its easier for them to get a power grab. No other reason. Under a more constitutional administration, we would have been recovered completely by now, but most Americans are knuckle-heads and destined for civil strife and/or civil war. I digress...

Its not surprising that model rockets are still fetching high prices. Look at the people who where kids 30 - 50 years ago and the types of professions they now have today. I'm working, and by God's blessing, I can and do afford a lot of toys that other people would find it hard to purchase: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...m_60_Inch_.html

I just order two of these planes. Yes that is me, the 'Jonathan D' posting down in the discussion section.

People like you and I made the sacrifices some 30+ years ago to forgo parties, sex with as many people we could. We ere Nerds, out casts, but in the end, we saw the future and better prepared ourselves for it; Aesop's fable, 'The Grasshopper and the Ant' comes to mind. Most of us are Ants and we survive the winters. This winter we are now in, we will survive, not matter where Obama or any other force takes us. Congratulations!

Jonathan

Now we break into , 'We are the Champions' by Queen!

http://youtu.be/04854XqcfCY