Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2020, 11:42 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
tbzep-
Glad you and your family are safe through this next to zero-notice weather event you had near Nashville.

The pictures/videos on the various National news services yesterday literally looked like a war-zone.

I really don't understand the lack of warning they had, but I haven't seen a time lapse of the radar yet. Nashville had at least an hour's notice that it was a nasty cell with a tornado after it hit us in West TN. I'm not sure if they were issued severe thunderstorm warnings ahead of time. I think they got about 7 or 8 minute advance on the tornado warning. We did get at least one confirmed lightning lit sighting of the funnel in our area, and it started becoming obvious to us pretty quickly on the ground that it wasn't straight line winds that caused it. It was too narrowly focused to be straight line winds and too long to be a microburst. That info gets relayed to the weather service, TEMA (state version of FEMA), etc. so Nashville should have been paying very close attention to it.

To be honest, I don't know why we didn't get a warning of any kind ourselves. It made a touch-and-go in the county to our west so there may have been some unofficial chatter on the sheriff's net that probably wouldn't have woken me up, but there were no toned out warnings of any kind, which always wake me up.

We get probably more than 100 tornado warnings a year that never spawn a tornado and severe thunderstorm warnings that are no worse than the ones I used to love listening to laying on the hay in our barn. It's got to the point that almost nobody around here takes cover, the classic cry wolf syndrome. We didn't get a severe thunderstorm warning from the cell that spawned the twister until after it was past us as they were sending it out for the county to our east. We did get STS warnings later in the night while we were working. Only one brought actual severe weather to us sometime around 3 to 3:30 am, but boy was it ever severe!

I'm not placing blame on the NWS, but it sure will be interesting to learn what they were seeing and what they weren't, along with what info they were getting from our local EMA directors well ahead of it getting to Nashville. You can draw a nearly straight line from the first sign of damage in Gibson, Carroll, and Benton Counties in West TN all the way through Nashville to Putnam County.

Edit: Last I heard, they were estimating we had either a strong EF2 or weak EF3. We will know later but I suspect EF2. It didn't do as much to the same type of structures here as it did over in Nashville and Cookeville. They have been estimated at a good EF3.

Last edited by tbzep : 03-04-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:16 PM
Dazed and Confused

Found the NWS raw data. It passed about 5 miles north of my house. Winds estimated 125 mph. 100 yard wide path, 12 miles on the ground, which matches perfectly with what we were encountering. The only thing that I can add is that I know at least a couple homes were destroyed and several more were damaged beyond salvage, just from what I saw with my own eyes. It's interesting they only listed homes as "damaged". It is just a preliminary report.

Looks like it lifted for just a minute and touched back down in Benton Co, to our east. That's where our only fatality was recorded. I do know of a horse that was killed in Gibson Co. to our west. Word has it that it was lifted from its pasture and dropped on a road. We don't record pets or livestock in our initial damage assessments so I don't know of any other animal casualties.

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/w...&e=202003040027
Old 03-04-2020, 04:37 PM
Apollo Nut

Not to hammer home the morbid, but this article really drove home some of the human toll of these very unfortunate storms. The family of three — mother, father, and young son — all taken by the storm was truly tragic.

On the other end of the scale was an elderly couple in their 80s; both taken. And still some yet unidentified.

Just a reminder for the rest of us how blessed we are on these “plain old, humdrum days”.

Here’s the link. Advance notice: it is a Fox News article, for those who may be offended. See here: https://www.foxnews.com/us/tennesse...-severe-weather

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-05-2020, 03:53 PM
Master Modeler

Glad to hear you guys are OK Tim.
Our neighborhood got hit pretty hard back in January, our home suffered no damage but others just on the other side of the lake weren't so fortunate. However, there was no loss of life.
This was the second time I've witnessed tornado damage firsthand. Pictures just can't capture the devastation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Tornado (3).jpg
Views: 26
Size:  86.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Tornado (2).jpg
Views: 23
Size:  69.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Tornado (1).jpg
Views: 20
Size:  82.3 KB  
Was once SAM#0132
Old 03-06-2020, 07:12 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveR
Pictures just can't capture the devastation.

You got that right! I'm glad your home was spared. I can't imagine the conversations if my house was hit. There would be rockets all over the countryside!
Old 03-06-2020, 07:46 AM
BP Mafia

My daughter just bought a house in East Nashville, so the damage was fairly close. We were down painting over the weekend and just left on Sunday. Five Points was one of our favorite spots to eat when we're visiting. It's a really great part of town. Last year the area in Dayton that got hit is right off the exit that I take to get to the eRockets flying field, so things are closing in on me.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 03-06-2020, 09:04 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
My daughter just bought a house in East Nashville, so the damage was fairly close. We were down painting over the weekend and just left on Sunday. Five Points was one of our favorite spots to eat when we're visiting. It's a really great part of town. Last year the area in Dayton that got hit is right off the exit that I take to get to the eRockets flying field, so things are closing in on me.

If one hits your area, at least it might rid your B6-4 field of rocket eating trees. It might become a C6-5 field!
Old 03-06-2020, 09:20 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
If one hits your area, at least it might rid your B6-4 field of rocket eating trees. It might become a C6-5 field!

Actually, the trees that bordered US 27 and Woodfill Avenue were taken down last spring. They turned the lower field into a softball complex for the girls, which took away a large amount of landing area, including the area in the SPEV pic. If anything it's becoming more of an A8-3 Field. Kinda feeling like my days there are numbered.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper