Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2008, 09:14 AM
That 70's Rocketeer

You might be able to estimate the chute size from the pictures Bluegrass Rocket posted (Thanks Bluegrass Rocket!). The brown body tube it is laying beside is 18 inches long.

"You know, it, uh, won't fly unless somebody pushes the button." From the movie October Sky.

I am SAM # 0167
NAR 98303 Southwestern Ohio Rocketry Association (SORA) #624
https://www.rocketryohio.com
Old 11-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorley
You might be able to estimate the chute size from the pictures Bluegrass Rocket posted (Thanks Bluegrass Rocket!). The brown body tube it is laying beside is 18 inches long.

Thanks, Tim,
I was looking at that, too. Looks like it would be a silk (I presume) 24 incher? I know Centuri had slightly different sizes of 'chutes with their rockets, so it could be 20"?
I'd be afraid that might be a tad small. I guess I could always find a chute calculator algorhythm somewhere...
Thanks for your help, as always!
I'll go take some pics. Now, if I can just find that camera........
Allen
Old 11-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass Rocket
I thought I would post these other photos I saved from an Ebay auction earlier this year. They show 2 wraps already installed. At least that's what it looks like to me. Hope this helps.

To clear up some information:

1: The wraps are not 'installed'. they are simply rolled around the payload tube and held there in place by the elastic thread. You had the option of affixing the wraps in the upper tube, or move them down to the lower tube, trim off the excess and use the excess to 'decorate' other areas of the rocket per your choice.

2: The parachute isn't a mystery ... it's 24" Silk Chute. I simply did a little research and looked at the Enerjet catalog description of the Athena: http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...2/72ejet12.html

I personally find the Orion a better looking model than the Athena. And yes, the boxed Athena is VERY rare. I asked Lee how many of them were made. He said that the boxed enerjet models were only made in the few hundred. Sales were not that great due to the price to buy and the costs to fly; $5.00 a pop back in 1972 was VERY expensive for most hobbyists. Inflation calculators put $5.00 in 1972 at $26 in today's buying power.

The boxed kits were moved to bag to lower the costs. Some of the boxed Enerjet kits were de-boxed and moved to bags near the end of their availability.
The boxed Enerjet motor was switched to bag from box for the same reasons.

Bob
Old 11-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Red River Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01
To clear up some information:

1: The wraps are not 'installed'. they are simply rolled around the payload tube and held there in place by the elastic thread. You had the option of affixing the wraps in the upper tube, or move them down to the lower tube, trim off the excess and use the excess to 'decorate' other areas of the rocket per your choice.

2: The parachute isn't a mystery ... it's 24" Silk Chute. I simply did a little research and looked at the Enerjet catalog description of the Athena: http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...2/72ejet12.html

I personally find the Orion a better looking model than the Athena. And yes, the boxed Athena is VERY rare. I asked Lee how many of them were made. He said that the boxed enerjet models were only made in the few hundred. Sales were not that great due to the price to buy and the costs to fly; $5.00 a pop back in 1972 was VERY expensive for most hobbyists. Inflation calculators put $5.00 in 1972 at $26 in today's buying power.

The boxed kits were moved to bag to lower the costs. Some of the boxed Enerjet kits were de-boxed and moved to bags near the end of their availability.

Bob

I still have one of those 24" silk chutes somewhere. I'm pretty sure it was attached to either the Enerjet Nike Ram or Nike Smoke I had as a teenager. I'll have to get it out and use it for the Athena clone...

John
Old 11-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Red River Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
There are two wraps on the model. These are 1/100 scale Saturn 1B wraps. Excess pieces cut from them are used on the payload section. Or one could use the wraps on the payload section and use the leftovers on the lower BT. They came as two wraps on one vacuum-formed sheet. Tim's link:

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...2/72ejet12.html

Clearly shows the two wraps; they are separate and distinct.
Allen

Thanks for clearing this up. Now that I look at the catalog page again, I see the placement a little clearer. I didn't realise the wraps were from the Saturn 1B.

John
Old 11-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01
"To clear up some information:

Bob "

Doh! I looked right at the page and did not see it! Thanks, Bob!
24 " it is.
Allen
Old 11-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

When I worked for Enertek in 1987-88, the was a shelving unit full of bin boxes which held all sorts of random rocket parts, accessories, etc.

One of these bin boxes contained dozens of Centuri Saturn 1B and Saturn V plastic wraps. We never used them for anything.

I wish I had taken some for my 'collection'.

Bob
Old 11-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Pickin' and launching.

I want to clear up my posting of the Athena pictures. I don't own the kit in the pictures. This kit was sold on Ebay earlier this year and the photos were in the listing. I saved the photos since I didn't think I would ever see one in person. I also thought I might have a need to post them here sometime. So, I only know what I can see in the photos.
NAR #28062, ROCI Section #625
http://www.newwayspacemodels.com
http://www.indyrockets.org
NewWay Space Models-We Cornered Model Rocketry
Old 11-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Red River Rocketry

Well, I got the wraps from Mr. Neubauer on Thursday, and recieved the parts from Carl for the rest of the model. I guess I'll have to move the Athena up in the build queue. Of course, I have at least one kit to produce ASAP for Red River Rocketry for Christmas...

John
Old 11-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Red River Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
When I worked for Enertek in 1987-88, the was a shelving unit full of bin boxes which held all sorts of random rocket parts, accessories, etc.

One of these bin boxes contained dozens of Centuri Saturn 1B and Saturn V plastic wraps. We never used them for anything.

I wish I had taken some for my 'collection'.

Bob

I wonder what ever happened to them? Hopefully they didn't get tossed - that would be a crime.

John