Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2019, 12:23 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Three stages as parasite glider - but it fails solo

Hi! I’m new to the forum and would love any input, comments, and/or suggestions for improving my Rocket (my first scratch build). It has multiple configurations, including lifting/launching a glider at apogee. The glider is supposed to also launch autonomously, as a stand-alone boost glider, but it doesn’t work.

It is a two stage Rocket with an optional third stage. The booster takes a D12-0 and the second stage is a cluster of two 18mm motors. They are two for two for air-starts!

Anyway, one 18mm 2nd stage motor ejects the parachute (teal recovery bay with a 12.5 in Estes parachute) and the other 18mm motor can either eject a glider or another small rocket with a BT-20 body - or it can launch it as a third-stage! I’ve only launched twice; I haven’t tested a third-stage air start yet. I plan on trying this weekend.

The glider separates beautifully and it glides like the Space Shuttle. The large elevons offset the weight very well. I intended the glider to double as an autonomous boost glider, with rear ejection, but it failed twice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  1D08BFDC-C6CD-4EC3-B66A-8BBFBCFAE959.jpeg
Views: 81
Size:  348.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  7B8BD181-281D-4564-996A-775CA641D180.jpeg
Views: 70
Size:  464.0 KB