Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Addicted Collector.. now Rockets

Default Black vs. White Kit Numbering on Skill Level Facecards

Need to ask another question as I dig deeper into K kit packaging differences.

Noted that skill level facecards can be found with either black or white numbers/letters in the lower left corner for kit numbering. The observation is only for kits designated as K-x/12xx and not for later kits numbered 12xx only. So far, I have not seen the same kit with facecards that have white letters/numbers or black letters/numbers. It appears some kit facecards were printed with white letters/numbers only for the kit number while other kits use the black lettering as rest of facecard. Make sense?

Does anyone know the background behind this skill level facecard difference? The white kit numbers/letters do stick out as the balance of skill level facecards are printed in black letters.

Thanks....Gerry

Last edited by gerryfortin : 06-24-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

There are more people collecting string into balls than are flying model rockets.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryfortin
Need to ask another question as I dig deeper into K kit packaging differences.

Noted that skill level facecards can be found with either black or white numbers/letters in the lower left corner for kit numbering. The observation is only for kits designated as K-x/12xx and not for later kits numbered 12xx only. So far, I have not seen the same kit with facecards that have white letters/numbers or black letters/numbers. It appears some kit facecards were printed with white letters/numbers only for the kit number while other kits use the black lettering as rest of facecard. Make sense?

Does anyone know the background behind this skill level facecard difference? The white kit numbers/letters do stick out as the balance of skill level facecards are printed in black letters.

Thanks....Gerry

Former 1960/1970s VP, Bill Simon is known to read and post on here. I forget his ID, but if you search the forum messages, you can find him and then send him a PM. People like Bill would be able to answer those questions. Vern bless his heart, was President of Estes Industries during the time of Damon control and when K-Kits went to K-Skill, and finally Skill, and he is in his late 80s now so memory could be an issue. Bill is younger, in his 60s I think, and would have a better recollection of 'why, what and when'.

I think much of your questions have answers that are simply attributed to what supplies Estes had on hand when they needed things made in their print shop and other manufacturing areas.

Like the blue/green casing motors ... those were made blue and green not because they envisioned something called the internet and ebay 30 years later and how it would create discussions and speculation ... nope the motors were green and blue because they ran out of the brown/tan paper and simply used what they had on hand until their order of brown paper arrived.

Many things were done on the fly and had no real purpose other than to get product out the door.

Model rockets while interesting, just don't have the mystery of a Jenny Flyer Stamp or a Civil War I musket or cutlass.

Like I stated in past postings, it really is better to just collect the K-Kits because of the following reasons:

1)They are harder to find and cost more
2)There was little variance from year to year, so creating a complete K-Kit collection is both possible and impressive to rocket hobbyists.
3)You probably won't ever be able to capture every single K-Kit/Skill Level example as those were made on the fly [excuse the pun] and you will never be certain to have every example that ever existed.

To this day, there is one and only on K-Kit I don't have in my collection ... well I think I don't; I scour ebay every day in search of my goal.

Jonathan