Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Master Modeler

I'm not much of a collector, but I'd love to have a set of old MPC kits . . . to build. Build them perfectly, to make up for the awful mess I made of the ones I built back in the 70s.

Not all of them. Just the oddballs (Martian Patrol, Lunar Patrol) and a representative sample of the others.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:51 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I'm not much of a collector, but I'd love to have a set of old MPC kits . . . to build. Build them perfectly, to make up for the awful mess I made of the ones I built back in the 70s.

Not all of them. Just the oddballs (Martian Patrol, Lunar Patrol) and a representative sample of the others.

Ditto. I've got a pretty decent start with the four I have. Three of the four were badly stored in the original boxes and two had damage from the bad storage. Not much of a decision to build them, and I think I did them justice. The decals are not in the best of shape, kinda yellowed. I'd like to finish them with the decals eventually, but that's a project for down the road.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-03-2011, 08:37 PM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott6060842
I launched a couple of MPC A3-2's from the late 60's a couple of weeks ago. The first rocket (streamer recovery) had a melt down about 50 ft off the pad. I read the term "skunked" somewhere...thats what I would call it. Destroyed.

So of course I had to put another one in a Semroc spaceman. That sucker when up in a cloud of smoke, sparks and stench that was quite impressive. Awesome. Went pretty high too. No ejection though and the spaceman came down head first on a cement path, trailing smoke the whole way. The spaceman had a broken arm, a flat head and a little neck damage but will live to fly another day.

So I guess the point is don't fly old MPC's in anything you value until you test them out first, although I value my remaining stash for the above reasons.

I have a LOT of old MPC/AVI engines that I have been flying lately, without any problems.
Granted, your A3-2s from the late 1960s are a few years older than mine.
And I do agree, they smell much more than a new engine after firing.
Lots more delay smoke too!
I wasn't able to get them to ignite with the old MPC igniters though. Usually the pyrogen was broken off.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!