Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2021, 08:11 AM
BP Mafia

Default WSR launch, 5-8-21, Dayton, Ohio

So, I did that flying thing on Saturday. Took a bunch (20+) of birds with me, most that had a decade or more since the previous flight. 14 of them flew and had varying degrees of success. For the second straight launch I flew an LOC Lil' Nuke on an Estes 29mm F motor. Last launch was my Lil' Ninja version, this week was the Mourning Would version that hadn't flown since 2002. The instructions say these are flyable on a D12-3. Call me skeptical, but I figured the 29mm F15-6 has a bit more punch than a D. I figured right. These were awesome flights. Quite a bit more enjoyable than the composite flights I'd previously made. I'm thinking about making a big order from AC Supply when things normalize a bit.
Another Estes 29mm flight was my repaired SLS Rascal, a BT-80 concoction that had kids at the pad calling it a Mosquite. This flew on an Estes E16-6. Boost was nominal, but then things "blowed up, sir". A couple of hundred feet in the air there was an anomaly. I thought the repaired fins let loose, but the rocket drifted to earth looking exactly like it did when it took off. If nothing else, I cemented my reputation as "The Most Dangerous Man With An E".
Flew my Estes Y-Wing Fighter for the first time since 2013. Won't have to worry about flying it again. C5-3 flight that came apart at ejection. Snapped the elastic at the tri-fold mount. Nose cone and parachute went one way while the body began tumbling back to earth. 200 feet from the ground it suddenly straightened out and came in hard and fast, just to the right of the pads. Had a couple of inches of sod in the nose cone, the motor tube had been pushed back a couple of inches, and bot booms had taken leave of the main body, one completely, one still holds on by a thread. I think I can fix it, but I don't see it flying again.
My favorite flight was my US Rockets Supersonic on an E12-6. This is a 24mm bird with a 24mm engine, so you can imagine how it went. I think Jerry would be pleased. It left the pad and cocked to the left and was still thrusting when it entered a cloud. One of the ladies said she heard the ejection charge fire. It had an 8 foot streamer, so we all waited for it to come out of the cloud, but never saw a thing. I was bummed. I figured I'd lose it, but I thought I'd at least get to see the streamer.
More power to ya!

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 05-10-2021, 10:58 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

That was a LOT of launches! I never get that many flights in a day, but our smaller club launches that focus on low power are typically only 3 hours in duration.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 05-10-2021, 12:13 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
That was a LOT of launches! I never get that many flights in a day, but our smaller club launches that focus on low power are typically only 3 hours in duration.

I got there late and they shut down early, so 20 was a possibility if I could get things together.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper