Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Always Learning

Default Protecting Decals Question

Hello: I recently completed a build of the Estes Starship Vega. The decals in the vintage kit were in very good shape so I used them with excellent results ( see pict ). The model was painted with Krylon gloss white over a primer coat of Krylon white primer. Would you suggest using Krylon Crystal Clear over the decals ? I've heard about using Future Floor Polish but am not clear as to how to apply. Thanks in advance for any help !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  VEGA.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  27.6 KB  
Old 06-12-2009, 08:35 AM
Craftsman

If you have any scrap decal material left over, you should do a test spray on it first. If that doesn't' mess up, by all means use it. Also, paint in low humidity or else the clear coat will turn milky.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:55 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I have used Testor's clear Glosscote Lacquer for about 30 years with good results.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Master Modeler

I like and have used the Testors Glosscote, but if you plan to have the model a long time it will yellow with age. I have been using future quite a bit now and if you do a search here or on the old TRF you should find many threads dealing with the application of it. I have a can of UV resistant clear from Krylon, but I have not tried it yet.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:47 AM
GET GOONY!!

Nice work!!

I always recommend future floor polish for any decals, new or old.

It can be applied in several ways, the easiest method is with a folded paper towel. I mount the rocket on a painting stick, then fold a paper towel into 1/8ths and wipe onto the model. Don't get too much on the towel as the Future runs easily. Clean up any runs with a paper towel.

You can also use a foam brush which applies more Future and is glossier than the paper towel method, but you have to watch for bubbles and even more for runs.

If you are REALLY ambitious, you can use an airbrush, and thin the Future with winshield washer fluid (I think),

As Scott mentions, Testors dull or glosscoats work but will yellow over time.

Some Krylons attack some decals. It is ugly.

I stick with Future. It is easy to apply and is dirt cheap. I have been using the same bottle for 5 yrs now, and it is only 2/3 empty!!

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 06-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Master Modeler

I have used both Glosscote and Future on my plastic models and both have yellowed over time. Testors says their new Lacquer Glosscote does not yellow, but I have not tried it. I personally don't use anything over my decals, but if the Lacquer Glosscote works out I might try it.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...p?&I=LXSTW5&P=7
Old 06-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Phred: Do you ever print decals with a laser printer? Because, Future eats toner. Just a warning.

I use Future a lot, but never with my own decals.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 06-12-2009, 03:24 PM
rosko_racer

I use Future and apply 1-2 coats of it using a dense foam brush. One coat gives it a good shine but a second coat is better because it blends the edges of the decals better with the clear coat. You can get a box of the dense black foam brushes at Michaels... I always get a 50% off coupon to buy them.

Future works great but it takes a little practice since it is very thin and it runs easly. I put the rocket on a painting dowel that has an expended motor at one end which goes into the MM of the rocket, or on a home-made display stand. I do one section at a time, starting with the flat surfaces making sure they are horizontal and level until they dry. On a 4-fin rocket you can work the bottom and top surfaces on two of the fins and wait until they are dry before you rotate the rocket 180 degrees to work on the other two. As for the NC I always take it off the rocket and work on it separately. NEVER leave the NC on the rocket when you clear coat it with Future because it will seal it and you will have to cut the BT to remove the NC. The last part that I work on is the BT. I apply it along the BT then rotate it about 1/4 turn and work on the next side. Have a light near so it helps you identify the parts that have not been covered. Once the entire BT is covered I set aside the brush and slowly rotate the rocket to avoid any runs... and at the same time. Have a small fan on low blowing air on the rocket AFTER you apply Future to dry it faster. The same pretty much goes for the NC.

Once done I set the parts to the side and wait about 1-2 hours before I handle it. Sometimes I waith 24 hours to make sure the wax is completly dry. Once you get the method down I think you will not go back to any of the spray clear coats...

- Raúl
NAR #88644
SAM #230
EAC
CAT
Old 06-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

I apply Future with a rag, and never have a problem getting the nose cone out afterward...
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 06-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Old BAR

Airbrush.......
Allen