Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Master of the Universe

Default Estes Sweet Vee #2116

I just picked this up in 100% new,mint condition. Anyone build one of these? What would one of these usually go for? I want to fly it but maybe it's fun just to look at it for a while-I might not find another one!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Sweet Vee.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  151.5 KB  
Old 08-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustee
I just picked this up in 100% new,mint condition. Anyone build one of these? What would one of these usually go for? I want to fly it but maybe it's fun just to look at it for a while-I might not find another one!

Nice find. It was designed for the discontinued E15-P motors which are slightly different in length to the current production E9-P motors. Be sure to modify it for the newer motors.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Master of the Universe

Thanks for the tip,I have a new pack of E15-P's that was for my Strato Blaster. I better stock up! I could still lay my hands on some thankfully. Ooh,but once you cut the cellophane it's all over...
Old 08-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Master of the Universe

Actually I have the D11-P's,sorry. I'll look for some of the E's .
Old 08-25-2008, 07:09 AM
GET GOONY!!

E15s have not been available for some time, as they had a un nerving tendency to cato. Your choices these days are the ESTES E9, or the Aerotech E15 compisite motors.

Ph

GET GOONY!!
Old 08-25-2008, 07:16 AM
Rocket buildin' machine

The best motors to fly with, bar none, would be the Aerotech reloadables. DO NOT use the common 24/40 case--there's a special R/C case that's sealed at the front end, since R/C reloads have no delay or ejection. Hard to find--I went through Joe Pilot.com, though I understand Tower Hobbies carries them now as well.

The AT reloads come in some very nice varieties, with long slow burns.

If you're new to R/C, this is probably not a good first model, though, and even if you're experienced, I'd think about testing it out with a few flights on C6-0's to make sure it's trimmed right for boost. The C6 would be a comical lob, not much more than a hand toss, but would give you immediate feedback on whether it has pitch problems without enough oomph to wreck the model.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:27 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

I'm builing one .....well....started. I'm still trying to decide what RC stuff for it but the wings have been built up. It's a bit heavy but should make an interesting intry to RC rocketry. Picked mine up at a mom & pop shop when they were trying to get rid of most of the rocket stuff they had. They mainly deal in trains.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Rocket buildin' machine

Don:

Check with Ryan W, but I'd think the strong recommendation for gear would be Berg 4L receiver (Tower Hobbies), Dymond D47 servos (http://www.rc-dymond.com/Radio_Electronics/servo.htm) and just about any decent 72 mhz transmitter (make sure you match channel to receiver, duh...don't ask me how I missed that once). The weight is not so much an issue as the range and getting decent torque. You could also go for higher end Spektrum 2.4 ghz stuff, eliminates the interference for the most part, but to me that's still a bit too much money for casual flying. Gear for something like this model should stay in the under $100 range.

--Chan Stevens
Old 08-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
Don:

Check with Ryan W, but I'd think the strong recommendation for gear would be Berg 4L receiver (Tower Hobbies), Dymond D47 servos (http://www.rc-dymond.com/Radio_Electronics/servo.htm) and just about any decent 72 mhz transmitter (make sure you match channel to receiver, duh...don't ask me how I missed that once). The weight is not so much an issue as the range and getting decent torque. You could also go for higher end Spektrum 2.4 ghz stuff, eliminates the interference for the most part, but to me that's still a bit too much money for casual flying. Gear for something like this model should stay in the under $100 range.

--Chan Stevens

I didn't realize Tower carried Berg now. I haven't flown any R/C stuff in several years. Back then, Berg was only available at a couple of places.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
..... Picked mine up at a mom & pop shop when they were trying to get rid of most of the rocket stuff they had. They mainly deal in trains.

Hey, I know that place.
Was once SAM#0132