Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

Your second line there is exactly my point. If there is some one/some way to make REAL contact, why isn't it posted? I'm tickled pink "you" have an inside line to Estes. But, it makes me, as a customer, feel that they don't "want" to be contacted.

And it isn't just them. There are a lot of companies that don't give a way to contact them. I've had Honeywell tell me they never even made a part that had their name and logo stamped right on it!
Old 03-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
Your second line there is exactly my point. If there is some one/some way to make REAL contact, why isn't it posted? I'm tickled pink "you" have an inside line to Estes. But, it makes me, as a customer, feel that they don't "want" to be contacted.

And it isn't just them. There are a lot of companies that don't give a way to contact them. I've had Honeywell tell me they never even made a part that had their name and logo stamped right on it!

Unfortunately, I don't have a secret way to get through to customer service at all, if I want to get in touch with Christine, I have to send an email as well.

I just got off the phone with Whirlpool after waiting for 45 minutes for a repair on a three day old electric dryer, and, it won't be until next week that a service person will come out.

My point being, no matter who the company is, they have their own particular issues regarding all aspect of their business.

I'm glad that you got through quickly to Christine to get your motor issue resolved.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:19 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

Default Photobucket CATO

Since most here like photobucket, I wanted to try it too. Maybe my CATO pick will actually show up, unlike the earlier one.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:28 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

I got another question!

I read here somewhere Estes doesn't make the 1/2 A3-2T any more!?! That is what my Edmonds Tinee calls for! I just ordered some that listed "In Stock".

So, should I order a truck-load for the summer? Or is that another in the long list of April Fools jokes going around here?

Last edited by mycrofte : 04-02-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:27 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Yes. They are made rarely, so the channel has either lots or few. Hoard them.

Jerry
Old 04-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
I got another question!

I read here somewhere Estes doesn't make the 1/2 A3-2T any more!?! That is what my Edmonds Tinee calls for! I just ordered some that listed "In Stock".

So, should I order a truck-load for the summer? Or is that another in the long list of April Fools jokes going around here?

Absolutely false.

They motors that people are missing are the booster minis (1/2A3-0t, A3-0t and A10-0t) as well as the short and long delay A3-2t and A3-6t.

The A3-6t is good for altitude events, but it is horrible as an upper stage as the ultra-tiny nozzle makes relaible upper stage ignition a problem. The A10-3t is a good upper stage motor as it has a HUGE nozzle.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
The A3-6t is good for altitude events, but it is horrible as an upper stage as the ultra-tiny nozzle makes relaible upper stage ignition a problem. The A10-3t is a good upper stage motor as it has a HUGE nozzle.
Hi, Fred,

I have had quite different experiences, and you know I fly lots of stagers. I've staged many times to 1/2A3-4T's and A3-4T's with great success. I'm always careful to scrape the nozzles out with a drill bit, and use cellophane tape (thanks to your great tip). I have also staged to one ancient A3-6T. The motor lit but the delay fizzled

As for the A10-3T, I agree its nozzle makes it easier to stage to, but the short delay is problematic. I zippered my 1969 vintage Midget using that motor I have since developed a draggier bird that works great with it, but generally speaking, it's my opinion the short delay makes that motor a poor sustainer.

OTOH, while the -6 is probably better for staging, I've found the A3-4T works reasonably well, as long as the recovery harness is set up to absorb the jerk without zippering the airframe.

All that said, if there was such a thing as an A10-5T, that'd be the cat's meow As it is, I've gone to 18mm tubes and used a few A8-5S's in lieu of the T motors, and they're perfect for sustainers

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 04-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

Well, I have never staged a rocket. So, I know very little about it. And with my eyes getting worse as I age, there won't be much need for it. I can hardly see what I launch at apogee anyway...

It might not be long before I am launching those 5 foot rockets on D's just so I can see them!
Old 04-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Launching since 1970.

Everything you said is correct.

And the mini motors with the small nozzles might work much better with modern vent-hole tecniques. I've not tried that since I burned up all my mini boosters the last month they were still certified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Hi, Fred,

I have had quite different experiences, and you know I fly lots of stagers. I've staged many times to 1/2A3-4T's and A3-4T's with great success. I'm always careful to scrape the nozzles out with a drill bit, and use cellophane tape (thanks to your great tip). I have also staged to one ancient A3-6T. The motor lit but the delay fizzled

As for the A10-3T, I agree its nozzle makes it easier to stage to, but the short delay is problematic. I zippered my 1969 vintage Midget using that motor I have since developed a draggier bird that works great with it, but generally speaking, it's my opinion the short delay makes that motor a poor sustainer.

OTOH, while the -6 is probably better for staging, I've found the A3-4T works reasonably well, as long as the recovery harness is set up to absorb the jerk without zippering the airframe.

All that said, if there was such a thing as an A10-5T, that'd be the cat's meow As it is, I've gone to 18mm tubes and used a few A8-5S's in lieu of the T motors, and they're perfect for sustainers

Doug

Old 04-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I have had quite different experiences, and you know I fly lots of stagers. I've staged many times to 1/2A3-4T's and A3-4T's with great success.

I've been flying my Midget with 1/4A3-(mumble)Ts in the sustainer and so far they've all lit. I'm just about confident enough to go to something more powerful. It had been a long time since I flew staged. There were a few of those early flights where it's just as well there wasn't much umphh in the sustainer.

Now, my 1/2A6-2 did not light from my B6-0 in another rocket, so maybe I should try scraping out the nozzle a bit next time. I suspect that rocket just doesn't hold the sustainer on top long enough, though.