Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2020, 10:40 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Got mine completed to the point of putting the wraps on.
Went together very well. I did find it better to prime and paint the parts separately before assembly. I also used clear 2 part epoxy instead of Cyno glue.
But sadly my vinyl wraps went on poorly. Crinkles and not straight as I would have liked.
I have contacted Boyce to see if they would sell me another set of wraps, waiting to hear back.
If I can get some, any ideas on how to remove the wraps without destroying the tubes?
Also any tips on getting these things on straighter, not a lot of experience with these full body wraps.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:06 AM
Dazed and Confused

If BAH doesn't have spares, you can get BT-80 wraps from John (accur8).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Accur8-Gem...sEAAOSwYIxX~Akk
Old 02-24-2020, 01:41 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Alex at Boyce got back to me and is sending me a new set of wraps for free, just pay the $3.50 for postage. Great service. I am buying another rocket from him now.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:32 PM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY
Got mine completed to the point of putting the wraps on.
Went together very well. I did find it better to prime and paint the parts separately before assembly. I also used clear 2 part epoxy instead of Cyno glue.
But sadly my vinyl wraps went on poorly. Crinkles and not straight as I would have liked.
I have contacted Boyce to see if they would sell me another set of wraps, waiting to hear back.
If I can get some, any ideas on how to remove the wraps without destroying the tubes?
Also any tips on getting these things on straighter, not a lot of experience with these full body wraps.

You've got your assembly completed already?! Geez! Were you huffing caffienated oxygen?

But seriously--I'd love to see some photos of the assembly.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 02-24-2020, 02:41 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
You've got your assembly completed already?! Geez! Were you huffing caffienated oxygen?

He's wearing a kilt in the winter. He had to work fast before his gimbals froze to the chair.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:35 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep

The advantages of being semi retired with the kids grown and out of the house. When I get started on a project I can never seem to stop till it is finished. I hate half finished anything including bottles of Scotch!
It took about a week, started on it last Monday, finished with the messy wraps Sunday.
I will try to post some photos after i get the old wraps off and try not to screw up the new ones.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:37 PM
Avid Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY

The adhesive on some wraps is strong, particularly Pursley's wraps and Stickershock's decals.
Instead of trying to get it right on the first shot, you can try a spray bottle of water with a few drops of dish soap. Peel the backing off the wrap, spray and position on the tube. The soapy water allows repositioning if necessary. Don't go overboard and soak the tube. Squeegee out any air bubbles, and wick/wipe off the excess water. Let dry, THEN burnish down and remove the carrier (top) paper. Coat with clear spray or Future.
Check out the Stickershock23 FAQs for further info.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:50 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer
The adhesive on some wraps is strong, particularly Pursley's wraps and Stickershock's decals.
Instead of trying to get it right on the first shot, you can try a spray bottle of water with a few drops of dish soap. Peel the backing off the wrap, spray and position on the tube. The soapy water allows repositioning if necessary. Don't go overboard and soak the tube. Squeegee out any air bubbles, and wick/wipe off the excess water. Let dry, THEN burnish down and remove the carrier (top) paper. Coat with clear spray or Future.
Check out the Stickershock23 FAQs for further info.

Thanks these wraps do not seem to have a carrier paper.
Just adhesive on back.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:16 PM
Semi-Pro Rocketeer TRA 10484 L2

Since you are talking skins, has anyone tried Avery clear labels for decals or Avery white for decals?
=======================
Old 02-25-2020, 08:38 AM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash
Since you are talking skins, has anyone tried Avery clear labels for decals or Avery white for decals?

Yes. They work, but are quite thick compared to wraps or waterslide decals. For sport models they work OK, and are inexpensive.
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org