Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2020, 05:06 AM
Master Modeler

Default Met Jet ramjet weather "rocket!"

Hello All,

I need help with a PDF I would like to post here, as it is too large--but not by much--for the system to accept in one "piece." It consists of a scan of a 1961 "Aviation Week" article and a scan of an old Anderson, Greenwood & Co. brochure--both feature the AG-32 Met Jet, a rocket-boosted, solid-fuel ramjet meteorological "rocket" that the company built and had tested in the 1960s. If the PDF could be split into two PDFs (one containing the "Aviation Week" article scan, and the other containing the Anderson, Greenwood & Co. brochure scan), the system would accept them; unfortunately, I don't know how to do that. Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help! Also, here is more information on the Met Jet:

A few days ago, I had e-mailed Emerson (who bought Anderson, Greenwood & Company some time ago). In the 1960s, this company—whose brand name Emerson still uses, for the product lines that Anderson Greenwood was famous for producing—developed a solid fuel ramjet powered meteorological “rocket,” the AG-32 Met Jet (‘Meteorological Jet’). This vehicle was boosted to ramjet ignition speed by a military surplus Mk 4 “Mighty Mouse” FFAR—Folding Fin Aircraft Rocket—motor, and:

These 2.75” diameter, tube-launched unguided rockets were originally developed for use by interceptor, fighter, and ground attack aircraft (piston and jet engine powered ones), before air-to-air guided missiles appeared. They were usually fired from easily mountable & removable multi-tube, under-wing pod launchers, although the Lockheed F-94 Starfire interceptor had FFAR launch tubes faired into its nose section, and North American’s F-86D all-weather interceptor variant of the Sabre had a retractable 24-tube FFAR “tray” launcher in its lower fuselage. The FFARs’ dispersion made them mediocre air-to-air weapons at best, although they proved effective as air-to-ground weapons, a role in which they are still used—by fixed-wing ground attack aircraft and helicopter gunships—today. The Mk 4 FFAR was succeeded by the externally nearly identical but more powerful Mk 40 decades ago, and today a further improved (but interchangeable despite its different tail fin assembly, using the same warheads and launcher pods) FFAR, the Hydra 70, is now available (and the Canadian CRV7 variant of the Hydra 70 is more powerful still, using composite rather than double base solid rocket propellant). Also:

The eight-finned Met Jet was mounted atop the Mk 4 FFAR rocket motor (which had four fins) via a short, vented interstage unit (similar to the Aerobee's but much smaller, complete with a blast cone) that was threaded into the top of the FFAR motor case in place of a warhead. The PDF (which needs to be split into two smaller PDFs, to be upload-able here) contains both a copy of a Met Jet article (from the July 31, 1961 issue of “Aviation Week and Space Technology”; it includes dimensioned drawings, photographs, and ample information on the vehicle to build Scale—not just Sport Scale—models of it) and a scan of an old Anderson Greenwood flyer, which contains a close-up picture of a company employee holding a Met Jet ramjet sustainer (the pictures in the “Aviation Week” article confirm its shiny, bare silvery metal color). The ramjet sustainer was bare Inconel metal, while the Mk 4 FFAR booster was its ordinary color—a white motor case (with the motor loading data and safe temperature limits printed on it in black stenciled letters and numbers—you can see them in old FFAR films here: https://www.youtube.com/results?sea...n+Aerial+Rocket ).

I hope this material will be helpful.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 01-29-2020 at 02:21 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:31 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Just send it to me at scott@rocketshoppe.com and I'll get it posted for you.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 01-23-2020, 08:53 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Just send it to me at scott@rocketshoppe.com and I'll get it posted for you.
I thank you, Scott, but Chris Timm rushed in this morning and is helping me with it (one of the "splinter" files is still too large, 2.20 MB, but that'll get fixed--I'm fading fast and must get to bed now, but will get back on it after I get up again).
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 01-23-2020, 09:57 AM
Banned

I'm looking forward to seeing this data.

Dave F.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:26 AM
Craftsman

Default METJET Data

Helping J.Jason out a bit.

I did some zoomed in stuff to help out anyone trying to interpret/measure the dimensions of the tiny details for building a model.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  METJET1.JPG
Views: 25
Size:  156.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  MetJetSpecs.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  389.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  MetJetUpperFins.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  163.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  MetJetUpperFinJoint.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  288.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  MetJetFFARFins.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  234.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  MetJetEndview.jpg
Size:  184.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  MetJetCone.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  264.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  METJET3.JPG
Views: 18
Size:  102.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  METJET2.JPG
Size:  99.6 KB  
Old 01-25-2020, 11:37 AM
Craftsman

Default More METJET data

The rest of the story........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  MetJet PMR launch.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  305.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  MetJet.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  76.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  FFAR-MetJet.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  172.0 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MetJet AvWeek 7-31-61.pdf (230.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: pdf AGC Brochure 4-4.pdf (614.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: pdf AGC Brochure 3-4.pdf (781.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: pdf AGC Brochure 2-4.pdf (561.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: pdf AGC Brochure 1-4.pdf (303.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-25-2020, 12:43 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Thank you, Jason and Chris!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 01-29-2020, 02:13 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Thank you, Jason and Chris!
You're welcome, but the majority of the accolades belong to Chris Timm, who scanned, enlarged, and posted here everything that Emerson had sent me (which I'd forwarded copies of to Chris; some of the files were too big for YORF's system to accept, but he kindly fixed that), as well as Met Jet drawings, photos, and documents that he already had, and:

I apologize for "dropping out of the loop" for a few days (I felt I needed to explain what's going on, and the following might help others with this malady). Right now I'm fighting a bad case of lymphedema lesions on my legs, what is called a "flare." (In early 2017 I very nearly died from a previous flare, when the open wounds allowed staph and pseudomonas microbes to enter my body. The folks at the hospital put me on Vancomycin, the strongest IV antibiotic they had, but they wouldn't promise that I would recover or even survive; they only said "We will try," and they asked if I had my affairs in order, which I did.) Also:

Just a few days ago, I started on a new treatment regime, including steroidal skin cream to reduce the redness, swelling, and lymph oozing (I had to do it sparingly at first because my twice-monthly, direct-shipped wound dressing supplies weren't sufficient to last me until the next shipment; that has since been fixed, for subsequent shipments), directed by a local dermatologist, and it is working now. But I hadn't turned on my computer for a few days, due to being in pain from the lymphedema lesions (keeping all movement to a minimum, with legs elevated, was the only way to minimize the acid burn pain they cause). Now that I've built up a sufficient reserve of the supplies (by using them sparingly the first few days after the first shipment came), the pain has greatly subsided, and the lesions are healing faster now (lymph is so corrosive that it inhibits the growth of new skin--like stomach acid, it belongs *inside* the body, not on the outside!).
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 01-29-2020 at 02:29 AM.